Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: 2014 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 129174 times)

Brian the fisherman

Re: 2014 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »

that is ridiculous. its a meat fishery but its also fun to just play fish too.
Tight lines to all

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »

Why don't the holier than thou fishermen just leave it at that? Every year, same debate, same bashing. It is a legal fishing and Canada is a free country where every one is free to choose. There is no need to bend every one to your line of thinking about fishing. For what I know, there are some people thinking we fishermen are the most cruel people in the world enjoying to torture a fish for personal enjoyment. So those who want to go for the fishery, Wednesday August 6 is the date. Those who don't, get yourself a boat so you can enjoy bar fishing. To each its own.

fyrslyer

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »

Why don't the holier than thou fishermen just leave it at that? Every year, same debate, same bashing. It is a legal fishing and Canada is a free country where every one is free to choose. There is no need to bend every one to your line of thinking about fishing. For what I know, there are some people thinking we fishermen are the most cruel people in the world enjoying to torture a fish for personal enjoyment. So those who want to go for the fishery, Wednesday August 6 is the date. Those who don't, get yourself a boat so you can enjoy bar fishing. To each its own.

Agreed 100%, I can swing flies on the bulkley, skeena and tribs with my double hander, I can fish all types of water with my pin and catch lots of steelhead, I dry fly and chorinomid fish every spring in the interior, but guess what I also enjoy flossing for sockeye. I assume there is lots of other similar people on here also, so lets all leave the holier then thou attitudes at home and enjoy putting some meat in the freezer.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »

the price should come down pretty quick to 8 - 10 bucks a sockeye once the fraser commercial boats start bringing their haul to shore. not gonna fish for them at all........the price of gas makes that decision pretty easy....plus the temperatures outside it gets unbearable to kill yourself for just 2 sockeye.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »

If the run is big enough I know Rodney had mentioned one of the sport rec groups maybe pushing for a 4 fish limit to get people off the river instead of killing the 2 now allowed and then still fishing to get a spring. I'm not sure if there is any update on that? I know the interior was open to 4 in some areas in 2010.
always a student

robj

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »

Sockeye fishing in the fraser is a meat fishery, I don't understand some people, once you catch your limit, you should leave and let someone else have a chance.

I totally agree. Also the fish that I don't catch and release has a much better chance of making it to the spawning grounds than the one I tire out, get it to the beach and let it go.BTW I too am a flosser when I get the chance to go out fishing, which hasn't been very often.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »

Let's be honest. I fish for steelhead and flyfish for trout & coho too. But when it comes to sockeye, it is purely a meat fishery because sockeye taste good. I don't consider it sporty to make a few casts to get 2 sock & bleed it for sushi, and then head home. There is no walking the river and reading water like you do for steelhead or looking for the hatch to match your fly for trout. This is just a silly activity for meat. No more no less. If I can buy 2 sushi grade sockeye for cheap, I am out of the sockeye fishing business. The 2 sockeye limit has been in place over 20 years when gas was peanut compared to now. It is getting ridiculous and no fun to drive 3-4 hours total time an all that car mileage for 2 sockeyes and spending $30-$50 gas when you can buy 2 fish for $20-$25. It is also getting difficult to find parking. At Scale Bar, you need to spend another $10 parking to get to the bar. Now 2 of the 4 major sockeye bars seem to be shut down by the natives (ridiculous). Super crowded fishing will be the norm. The costs add up and the fishing more hectic with crowd. If your intent is to bbq the fsh, it is better off to just buy the gill-netted fish which have not been bled.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:15:03 PM by liketofish »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »

Come Wednesday I flee to the Thompson River to get away from the mayhem, some will say good, one less person on the river.

The Leaf Craft gets very upset seeing what goes on during this activity and goes into dry dock but she is trying to talk me into float fishing for them in the Harrison like we did a few years ago, we used ghost scrimp and did well on the ones that took a liking to our offering.

I also dread all the garbage that will be left behind like happened 4 years ago when a few of us went out there after it ended to clean it up the miles and miles of line. We had only a handful taking part, maybe  the FVSS will organize it again this year or maybe those that are responsible people and floss will take a bag and try to set an example of what everyone should be doing.

PS will the first fight be recorded on opening day?  :-X :-[ ::) :o :(

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2014, 10:48:37 PM »

PS will the first fight be recorded on opening day?  :-X :-[ ::) :o :(

I have no clue what you're talking about Chris. I've been fishing this fishery when its open for years and have never seen a fight. And as far as garbage left behind by flosser's I can quite assure you that they would have to go some to beat the mess left on the Vedder year in and year out. Fight's !!!  What ????

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2014, 12:03:45 AM »

The bar we fished for sockeye never had such problem as Chris mentioned. So don't know what he was talking about either. Garbage issue is not confined to sockeye bar. So don't try to brand sockeye fishermen as irresponsible, please. No need further stereotyping of sockeye fishermen. Let's hope less people will come out for the sockeye as it is getting too expensive gas wise to go for just 2 small sockeye. The 5 major land-acccess sockeye bars - Scale, Laidlaw, Seabird, Snaggy & Peg Leg, now only 2 left and Peg is too deep to bounce for sockeye. Scale Bar no parking, meaning another $10 for parking in private land owner's property. Plus you need to dress up full battle gear (deep wading) for Scale Bar. How crowded will these bars be when the Seabird & Snaggy crowds show up in the other bars? If some commercial fishermen can provide bled sockeye at $12 to $15 a fish, I think a lot of Asian fishermen who love sockeye for raw fish will not bother to spend on all that gas money for 2 sox per day.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2014, 03:13:05 AM »

I have no clue what you're talking about Chris. I've been fishing this fishery when its open for years and have never seen a fight. And as far as garbage left behind by flosser's I can quite assure you that they would have to go some to beat the mess left on the Vedder year in and year out. Fight's !!!  What ????
Sorry to say it will all happen, reports will come in on both issue.

Tenz85

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »

Not proud to say but was out on the tidal bouncing.. And nothing caught or  saw except drift netters with seals following and a massive sturgeon jump. Lost 4 Bettie's 5 hooks and 3 hours of my day. First spot was too deep, second spot was too deep, third spot was too Snaggy on a 65lbs braid line that was about 50+ yards long which I found out after lost most of the above gear. 5th spot was too Snaggy from that  braided line still dangling but I gained a betty after I freed that 65lbs braided line..

No skill involved with BB'n? I contest that but only took me 3 hrs to master it. As for greater amount of beeks BB'n? True to that. Numbers won't lie. More fishermen and easier way to catch rather than fish = more % of beeks. Example: greater Number of skilled anglers who fly fish or chase winter steelhead.

Well next trip will definitely kayak salmon fishing with a crab trap out or the skagit or possibility of a cool water lake.. Was this my first and last time BB'n outting prob not unless DFO bans it..

Have some respect and leave it the way you found it. Pass it on.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »

Let's be honest. I fish for steelhead and flyfish for trout & coho too. But when it comes to sockeye, it is purely a meat fishery because sockeye taste good. I don't consider it sporty to make a few casts to get 2 sock & bleed it for sushi, and then head home. There is no walking the river and reading water like you do for steelhead or looking for the hatch to match your fly for trout. This is just a silly activity for meat. No more no less. If I can buy 2 sushi grade sockeye for cheap, I am out of the sockeye fishing business. The 2 sockeye limit has been in place over 20 years when gas was peanut compared to now. It is getting ridiculous and no fun to drive 3-4 hours total time an all that car mileage for 2 sockeyes and spending $30-$50 gas when you can buy 2 fish for $20-$25. It is also getting difficult to find parking. At Scale Bar, you need to spend another $10 parking to get to the bar. Now 2 of the 4 major sockeye bars seem to be shut down by the natives (ridiculous). Super crowded fishing will be the norm. The costs add up and the fishing more hectic with crowd. If your intent is to bbq the fsh, it is better off to just buy the gill-netted fish which have not been bled.

liketofish - which 2 bars have been shut down by natives?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2014, 09:10:52 AM »

robj

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2014, 10:14:31 AM »

I am going to try chucking a fly later this week on the lower. See what happens. Even if I don't catch anything still great to be out on the river have a cold beverage and maybe get a fish or two. I have a small boat, just big enough to get away from the crowds.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15