Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where to pay a fishing ticket??!?  (Read 9278 times)

killer fisher

where to pay a fishing ticket??!?
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »

does anyone know where u can pay a fishing ticket. thanks.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: where to pay a fishing ticket??!?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »

I'm not advocating civil disobedience; just informing you. There is no method that the courts have to enforce payment of convicted/guilty pled unpaid federal fishing violations. Mail the violation in with "plead guilty" checked and not paying has no enforcement repercussions. There is no collection agency. But if you do not make a plea - for example no show in court/ no communication then you can have a warrant issued for your arrest.

Provincial violations are different matter where you drivers licence can be halted from renewal, for example.

Also, the DFO out of Chilliwack are notoriously sloppy. They are required to fill in the address of the court house for contesting violations - but on many occasions they omit that information invalidating the ticket. Why they do that? Not sure but when I representing a client in Chilliwack there were 3 cases on the docket with that address issue successfully argued as being invalid.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:48:58 AM by dennisK »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »

I'm not advocating civil disobedience; just informing you. There is no method that the courts have to enforce payment of convicted/guilty pled unpaid federal fishing violations. Mail the violation in with "plead guilty" checked and not paying has no enforcement repercussions. There is no collection agency. But if you do not make a plea - for example no show in court/ no communication then you can have a warrant issued for your arrest.

Provincial violations are different matter where you drivers licence can be halted from renewal, for example.

Also, the DFO out of Chilliwack are notoriously sloppy. They are required to fill in the address of the court house for contesting violations - but on many occasions they omit that information invalidating the ticket. Why they do that? Not sure but when I representing a client in Chilliwack there were 3 cases on the docket with that address issue successfully argued as being invalid.

Dennis, this may have changed recently.

Talking with CO's on the island, they had a large number of tickets (fishing and hunting violations) paid, some dated back to 10 years, on the individuals birthday of last year. It didn't happen just once, it happened with numerous individuals. Possibly the tickets have been changed so that they revoke your insurance renewal, similar to trio fees. I would look into it, seems odd that all of a sudden people would just be deciding to pay their tickets after 10 years if they had no reason to. Prior to that I had head of what you are talking about though.

Interesting about the not filling out of the court address. That's one of the main things we are taught in school for this... taking short cuts, or just missing it? Lots of things can void a ticket... improper name, improper address, nearly anything they miss or do/spell improperly can void the ticket. Goes for speeding tickets too.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »

Dennis, seriously, this guy does something worthy of a ticket and you repond like that??? Apperantly if he is looking at how to pay the ticket he has ACCEPTED his guilt.

Why encourage him to try and squirm his way out of paying for his actions?  I think thats the type of laywer that give the rest bad names.

So Fish Killer, what did you do anyhow? 

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »

There is no money to enforce these outstanding tickets. I believe theres over 1 million dollars outstanding. I believe you can pay your ticket at any service canada center. 54million dollars in budget cuts affects every dfo officer trying to do their jobs.

Alomar

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »

What did you get a ticket for?

VA7DDP

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »

Look on the rear side of the violation ticket, it should have instructions on how too pay.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:25:21 PM by VA7DDP »