Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 21st 2013  (Read 9654 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, October 21st 2013
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »

I spent the weekend taking care of the chores and family time so I could be back at the river this misty morning, away from the crowd of course... ;) So I thought. As I pulled up to where I usually park in the mist at 6:20am, two cars were already there and one angler was already walking down to the river. :o It was quite busy but I guess that was not surprising because the fishing has been reasonably good lately and everyone wants to take advantage of it.

Despite of the fishing pressure, just about everyone was specifically targeting coho salmon by either float fishing with the right depth or casting lures. This was same as what I observed last week, at a popular spot, so it was great to see.

The fishing started off pretty fast and furious. A small hatchery doe grabbed my spoon as it dropped to the strike depth just after my second cast. It was around 4 or 5lb.

My companions then landed a wild, lost a few, before I managed to hook another one close to the beach. This fish, most likely had followed the spoon right in, was a bit bigger than the first fish. It was another hatchery fish so onto the beach it came.

The first light bite turned off at around 9am after I started drifting roe and connected with another small wild fish. The rest of the morning was rather uneventful. The drama on the beach on the other hand, was pretty entertaining.

After one angler had caught his limit of coho salmon, he proceeded to fish again, which he is legally allowed to. Through the mist on the other side of the river, another angler yelled out and suggested that he needed to stop fishing as required by the regulations, which was incorrect.

"Stop fishing now or I'll come over to kick your ***"

The rest of the crowd let out a lengthy chuckle.

There's nothing wrong with informing others about the regulations etc. If you want to improve this fishery, then you better...

1) have the right information.
2) not threaten other users.

In this case the aggressor just gave everyone a bit of laugh and made himself look like a fool, but assaulting someone because you think they are doing something wrong will get you off the river for awhile.

Overall the fishing was so so even though I had a pretty good outing. Out of the dozens of people I could see, less than 10 hatchery coho salmon were landed.

Have a great week all! ;)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Chilliwack River, October 21st 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »

Nice fish, Come on Rodney, you pack a camera with you everywhere. This is the perfect time to bust it out and capture the great footage.
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »

Nice fish, Come on Rodney, you pack a camera with you everywhere. This is the perfect time to bust it out and capture the great footage.

Who said I didn't? ;) :P

I'm usually busy trying to catch a fish on the Vedder, no time for camera play. ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »

After a weekend of the best coho fishing of my life, today i showed up late around that 9am mark you spoke of Rodney. Not a single coho on just two chums in a few hours of fishing. Very sad compared to the ten coho i had just 24 hours before that.
[

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »

Never understood why anyone would want to get into a fight over a fish. There is a correct way of dealing with it and fighting isn't one of them. Dumb.

Fishing was great on Sunday, from first light till 9 am got 12 coho. Kept my 4 that where all fresh chromers. Seemed that all the larger fish where wilds. Pretty awsome seeing the float drop so many times. Good roe short float awsome fun. Missed quite a few strikes as well.

aaron600

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »

Nice fish Rod. Nice to know the regulations regarding limiting out and still being able to fish. I limited out at my particular fishing spot about 3 weeks ago and left when someone told me I legally was not aloud to fish any more. I figured the guy knew what he was talking about.  ::)

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »

People just mix up with the steelhead rule. Many uninformed fishermen trying to be policeman on the river. ;D

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »

Nice fish Rod. Nice to know the regulations regarding limiting out and still being able to fish. I limited out at my particular fishing spot about 3 weeks ago and left when someone told me I legally was not aloud to fish any more. I figured the guy knew what he was talking about.  ::)
It is a regulation by omission. Nowhere does it say that you have to quit fishing when you catch your limit of salmon, unlike steelhead.

When you have caught and retained your daily quota of hatchery steelhead from any water, you must stop fishing that water for the remainder of that day.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region2.pdf
p23

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »

Many fishermen trying to be policeman on the river. ;D

x2      The Words on the river is F>W>R> members are trouble maker , beaks, with bad reputation..
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:53:43 PM by leapin' tyee »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 08:47:59 PM »

x2      The Word on the river is F>W>R> members are trouble maker , beaks, with bad reputation..

Who? You?? ;D

When a website gets big, stories will always get fabricated and spread. I've heard almost everything by now. Somehow people think participants of this forum are representatives of this website. You're actually all just customers here.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 09:00:16 PM »

Who? You?? ;D

When a website gets big, stories will always get fabricated and spread. I've heard almost everything by now. Somehow people think participants of this forum are representatives of this website. You're actually all just customers here.

I am a proud and loyal F.W.R. member because .....i am a big trouble maker ,a beak and always has a bad reputation. Then  WHAT :P :P :D ;) ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »

You're actually all just customers here.

What ? I thought I was the ringleader of this circus :)

kindalonismo

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »

Glad to hear the day got off to a great start Rod!  Wasn't able to get on the river till 10am and fished the rest of the day. Spoke with a few guys and they mentioned the "you should have seen yesterday!".  That has been the story of my coho season, haha!

No luck for me today, saw a couple of hatchery caught.  All and all a nice day on the river for a walk with great company.  I hope to hit a good day sooner or later  :)  Thanks for the report!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »

You're actually all just customers here.

Well if thats the case I'd like to put an order in for 20 lbs of coho please and have that ready by Wednesday, Thanks  ;D

Fished the canal a week ago and a gentleman leaving as I was arriving says to me "Hey, aren't you Athezone on FWR" ? It's nice to be recognized and I spent a very nice 10 minutes chatting about this and that. So if you too want to be famous be sure and become a member, ooops, I mean customer of FWR as quickly as possible.  :) ;) :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 10:49:56 PM »

What ? I thought I was the ringleader of this circus :)

If this is a circus, who are the clowns?? ;D