Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 19th 2013  (Read 2936 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 19th 2013
« on: October 19, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »

With the water dropping, the usual spot did not seem like a good idea as we thought the fish would spook easily, went down stream to a deeper section and even than spot was pretty shallow compared to last week. Tough day, really had to work for them. 8 coho and 1 spring on for me today. 2 on a blue fox, 2 on roe, 1 on a spoon and rest on jigs. Landed 4 coho and that spring. 2 big wilds on jigs, 1 hatch on a blue fox, 1 jack and had a hatchery slip out of my hand in the morning. Missed plenty on roe but only bonked one, was slow out there today.

These takes on a twitched jig are just too addicting

blueback

Re: Chilliwack River, October 19th 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »

Snuck out to the Vedder for the first time this year and got a nice big wild buck on a home-made spinner. I only saw 6 other fish hooked throughout the morning. Started with roe in the middle, and not alot going on that I could see, so moved, changed up, and was rewarded. Nice sunny day out there  :D.   

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

Lots of fish in the river right now, just be there first light with good bait, and its hammer time. Just make sure your in the right type of water to fish them. I wouldn't recommend fishing them in the afternoon under the sun, but would focus using that time on watching the tide with spinners. Fishing is always better after a bump of water, and overcast days.
Hmm landed 4 today with "good bait" blazing sun and low water i know this dosent happen all the time but goes to show we dont know as much about fishing as we like to think ;)
[

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »

8 coho and 1 spring on for me today. /quote]

really had to work for them/quote] ???

all that work to just get 8 Coho and 1 spring, sounds like a hard days fishing and not worth the trip

Just teasing ;)
glad you got into some fish :)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »

After a few years of chasing coho exclusively on the fly, today I crossed over to the dark side.  ;D
Got my limit of coho using fresh coho roe.
So much easier than with a fly rod, and my shoulder is thanking me big time.  :)

wonder

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:28:26 AM »

^^ haha we converted our buddy this year too, hard for him to go back to the fly after limiting out by 730am  ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »

After a few years of chasing coho exclusively on the fly, today I crossed over to the dark side.  ;D
Got my limit of coho using fresh coho roe.
So much easier than with a fly rod, and my shoulder is thanking me big time.  :)

Yep.  I crossed over to the darkside in 2004.  Started slowly, but then Stratocaster taught me how to cure roe.  I find that roe fishing for coho is like chironomid fishing for trout.  You need to watch that indicator/float very carefully, and it can be a "fish-a-cast" for both techniques when you've got it dialed-in.  :)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »

Yep.  I crossed over to the darkside in 2004.  Started slowly, but then Stratocaster taught me how to cure roe.  I find that roe fishing for coho is like chironomid fishing for trout.  You need to watch that indicator/float very carefully, and it can be a "fish-a-cast" for both techniques when you've got it dialed-in.  :)

I was able to experience some of what you say yesterday morning. Crazy stuff!
The catch is to find where they hold.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »

finding where they hold is just part of the game.

being able to detect small strikes when your float barely or doesn't move is the key to limiting out quickly. If you always wait for the float to go under they will strip your roe majority of the time. I have only had 2 fish bury the float completely before I set the hook, rest of them only tipped it slightly or shook it while they were chewing on my roe  >:( a quick jerk is usually all that's needed to hook them, I see some guys trying to rip their faces off and miss almost every strike because they pull it from their mouth
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bunnta

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »

yep, happens to me quite often. That's why i find float fishing a lot more fun than fly fishing, getting sensitive float helps big time. No big deal if they chewed on ur roe, bait up quickly and he'll do it again. Had one fish strip my roe 4 time until the 5th time it finally stuck. Damn im slow.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 11:27:47 PM »

It was funny to see my friend miss a fish, other friends float goes by (misses it too), I come a few seconds after and same spot, fish on. Happened twice in a 10 minute spn, both hatchery fish.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »

finding where they hold is just part of the game.

being able to detect small strikes when your float barely or doesn't move is the key to limiting out quickly. If you always wait for the float to go under they will strip your roe majority of the time. I have only had 2 fish bury the float completely before I set the hook, rest of them only tipped it slightly or shook it while they were chewing on my roe  >:( a quick jerk is usually all that's needed to hook them, I see some guys trying to rip their faces off and miss almost every strike because they pull it from their mouth

Bassmasters!!!  Yes, no need to go crazy with setting the hook.  Just a simple, yet deliberate, lifting of the rod tip is good enough.  Plus, if you miss the fish, you can continue drifting and maybe even hook another fish (which did happen to me on more than one occasion).  ;)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »

I agree that many people strike too hard, and all that should be needed is a "deliberate lift" of the rod tip - but this only works if your hooks are sticky sharp.  Otherwise you may be forfeiting many opportunities.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »

I agree that many people strike too hard, and all that should be needed is a "deliberate lift" of the rod tip - but this only works if your hooks are sticky sharp.  Otherwise you may be forfeiting many opportunities.

That's the best way to keep a spot full of coho on the bite by not spooking them. Now only if everyone on the river would do that, fishing days would be so much more enjoyable.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Pin-nook

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »

I'm the worst for setting hooks too hard! I'm like an assassin in that I do the double tap hook set, the first is a slight lift of the rod then I reel down to gain line before I set it super hard. I rarely lose a fish that I set the hook on unless there is a weak point in the line or underwater debris.