Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 21st 2013  (Read 9500 times)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 21st 2013
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »

Nice catch Rod. Im gonna throw this out there...why would one want to keep fishing after killing 4 hatchery cohos. Is that not enough meat to take home for an outing? Maybe the regs need to be changed in this instance...and before u all jump up and down and say " Oh we can still keep fishing for a chum, I say  :o :o :o

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »

Nice catch Rod. Im gonna throw this out there...why would one want to keep fishing after killing 4 hatchery cohos. Is that not enough meat to take home for an outing? Maybe the regs need to be changed in this instance...and before u all jump up and down and say " Oh we can still keep fishing for a chum, I say  :o :o :o
What if you catch your 4 hatch coho's in 10 minutes and it took you over an hour to drive there.  Wouldn't you want to do some catch and release just for fun?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »

What if you catch your 4 hatch coho's in 10 minutes and it took you over an hour to drive there.  Wouldn't you want to do some catch and release just for fun?

If you caught four fish in 10 minutes and want to keep fishing, I might suggest you release that fourth fish.  You are either going to continue catching and releasing fish if you are that lucky (you are obviously hoping to, right?), or you are going to wind up not catching any more and end up leaving with one less than your limit (is that really all that bad?).  Now I caught my limit the other morning (was only allowed one hatchery coho) and continued to fish as it was still early and was allowed, so I did.  When another fisher came along I surrendered my spot, saying I had already caught my limit, to which he replied...but you are allowed to keep fishing.  I replied that I knew that, but I already had my one fish and he deserved a chance to catch its mate.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:05:21 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 09:04:33 PM »

Lol, I would say, u just had one heck of a morning...nope, I would be headed home with a big smile on my face...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »

Im with Dennis on this one. If I could limit out on my coho and I was fishing alone I would leave or stand around to chat for a bit and help others catch their limits by telling them where they are sitting in the run. I had my limit by 830am my last trip but stayed until my dad had his also. We were done by 10:30-11am, we cleaned our fish and then sat in our chairs enjoying our lunch while helping the guy who was beside us because he kept missing the soft takes.

every year that sockeye open I will drive over an hour to my spot for daylight only to turn around after making less than 10 casts to get my limit of sockeye. people there think im crazy for not hanging around to get my spring. I rather leave than continue to puncture sockeye for hours hoping that I will get a spring.

For some of us out there it isn't all about the meat. I have been keeping more than I usually do this year because my wife asked me to fill the freezer so we have fish over the winter and spring months. The odd days I do get a hatchery steelhead it is consumed that evening so they never make it to the freezer.

Remember there is many of us who go fishing to places where we are not allowed to retain anything, these places are actually my favourite fisheries because I get to shake hands with nature in several forms without leaving much of a negative impact besides me walking/wading along the river. I can be regularly seen just sitting on a log or rock just enjoying what im surrounded by, im often asked why im sitting and not fishing when im chasing steelhead and I respond with "It's good to just take a step back and enjoy"

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »

Why is it I'm the only one who realized what's wrong with this post? Possession limit for salmon is 4. So once you have bonked your 4 coho you can NOT keep anything else such as a chum.

After I bonk my 4 coho I keep fishing for as long as I planned on being out. Usually I will go scope out spots and try different things to hook fish on.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Pin-nook

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 08:00:40 AM »

Good for Dennis.t and Hook....I'll be happy to remind you guys that it's time to leave when you get your limit so that I can either take your spot or have more room and better chance of hooking more fish!

I do share the same feeling but I don't generally keep fish unless I'm going to consume it or that it was a special request but driving anywhere to fish whether it's 5 mins or 3 hours costs money, I've spend $$$ on gear cause it's what I love to do so your damn rights I'm gonna continue to fish after if I've limited out(except for steelhead and sockeye).

If you only fish to get your limit then leave then doesn't that say you're only in it for the meat? Why not challenge yourself and try hooking fish on something else or go fish other spots and figure out other spots that certain fish like to hold cause I can tell you that those slow days that you only hooked 1 or 2 or even bageled was because you aren't a well rounded angler and tells me that you are in it for the meat.

I enjoy my time out on the river with my gear and friends but never put pressure on myself to catch fish, it's a bonus if I do so yes I will make a day of it if I had retained my limit.  I didn't spend a few thousand on gear just to get my limit then go home, for some of us that only get a few days a year to fish it doesn't make sense to stop once you have your limit. 

Humpy

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 08:44:10 AM »

I imagine lots of us are in it for the meat, I am. Not entirely but I like to catch my fish and eat it rather then buy farmed fish from the store. But I would gladly give my spot up to another angler so he can get into fish once I have my limit.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »

It was probably a good idea that you were not down there. The crowd and what was going on upstream from us would have sent you back to the truck in no time... :-X

Are we expecting deer burgers for Hsu Jr's birthday? ;D
Only grouse and lots of tins.I will save you a nice grouse, Nina does not even have to pick or clean it. Very hot in Merritt feels like 20 was -4 the other night high in the mountains, hope there is the odd coho salmon left on my return but playing in the Master badminton tournament in Vancouver at the Racquet's Club on the weekend.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 05:01:46 PM »

Good for Dennis.t and Hook....I'll be happy to remind you guys that it's time to leave when you get your limit so that I can either take your spot or have more room and better chance of hooking more fish!

I do share the same feeling but I don't generally keep fish unless I'm going to consume it or that it was a special request but driving anywhere to fish whether it's 5 mins or 3 hours costs money, I've spend $$$ on gear cause it's what I love to do so your damn rights I'm gonna continue to fish after if I've limited out(except for steelhead and sockeye).

If you only fish to get your limit then leave then doesn't that say you're only in it for the meat? Why not challenge yourself and try hooking fish on something else or go fish other spots and figure out other spots that certain fish like to hold cause I can tell you that those slow days that you only hooked 1 or 2 or even bageled was because you aren't a well rounded angler and tells me that you are in it for the meat.

I enjoy my time out on the river with my gear and friends but never put pressure on myself to catch fish, it's a bonus if I do so yes I will make a day of it if I had retained my limit.  I didn't spend a few thousand on gear just to get my limit then go home, for some of us that only get a few days a year to fish it doesn't make sense to stop once you have your limit.

Im never out there strictly for my limit. This year I have been aiming more to get my fish because the wife requested me do so. You can tell me all you want to go home but I hardly ever fish alone so im staying until others get their fish also  ;)
When I do fish alone I tend to get bored easily and move around a lot exploring other areas in the hunt of some fish.

I do however like getting as many coho as I can land because they taste awesome and freeze well for the winter and spring when I have no salmon to eat
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »

Why is it I'm the only one who realized what's wrong with this post? Possession limit for salmon is 4. So once you have bonked your 4 coho you can NOT keep anything else such as a chum.

After I bonk my 4 coho I keep fishing for as long as I planned on being out. Usually I will go scope out spots and try different things to hook fish on.

If you read it right you'll see that he said keep fishing, not keep any more fish. Some, probably like you, like to continue fishing C&R after they bonk their limit and try for other species etc etc.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »

If you read it right you'll see that he said keep fishing, not keep any more fish. Some, probably like you, like to continue fishing C&R after they bonk their limit and try for other species etc etc.

He said "Oh we can still keep fishing for a chum..." The important part is "a chum" as in to kill one chum. If he was going to C&R chum he would have said, "fish for chum". I myself would rather C&R coho than go look for chum which can be found damn near anywhere.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Joey

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 07:32:33 AM »

Only grouse and lots of tins.I will save you a nice grouse, Nina does not even have to pick or clean it. Very hot in Merritt feels like 20 was -4 the other night high in the mountains, hope there is the odd coho salmon left on my return but playing in the Master badminton tournament in Vancouver at the Racquet's Club on the weekend.

Yes I will be in the racquet club watching Friday and Sunday,
Saturday I will be fishing at the second pool below Keith wilson Bridge
Good luck

jacked55

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »

We might not have clowns, but we had a salmon pirate. He was always providing good comic relief.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »

We might not have clowns, but we had a salmon pirate. He was always providing good comic relief.

Ya lily livered lanlubber!

'Tis nay difficult t' get that relief yersef. Jus' type whatereyou want t' say into this Sea dog Translator an' off ye go!