Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: 2013 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 5413 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Lots out there working the water today!!!!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

working the water ::)
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

working the water ::)
They were hauling them in when I picked up some garbage bags at the Hydro Bridge I asked a chap how you can catch them in such dirty water, his reply, "it takes experience to know how." I saw him haul his next one in backwards where it flopped on the beach before it gained its freedom. Glad I am going away in the next few days hunting so I donot witness this.

milo

• Old Timer

They were hauling them in when I picked up some garbage bags at the Hydro Bridge I asked a chap how you can catch them in such dirty water, his reply, "it takes experience to know how." I saw him haul his next one in backwards where it flopped on the beach before it gained its freedom. Glad I am going away in the next few days hunting so I donot witness this.

Yes, sad state of affairs. That's why I hardly fish those areas anymore. You can't even catch a fish without people running to you and casting right over your line thinking if they cast right there they will have more success.  >:(

1son

"it takes experience to know how."

LOL Jack the ripper there everywhere nowadays

adriaticum

• Old Timer

This goes back to the debate "are they really biting"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visibility about 10 inches, pinks being hauled in when I was dealing with some garbage bags from yesterday's cleanup. Some more rain has been falling most of the morning.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

We know they are not, most I saw yesterday were being hooked every where but the mouth.

montegobay man

Were's the   fish cop's  ????  maybe at Timm's  :)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Why are you even questioning it. We all know what there doing, and its not fishing. I pay good money to play this sport I love, and while trying to enjoy it, I have to watch all this garbage going on. Where are the fisheries officers to give a slap on the wrist and a talking too on the method they are using, because its not fishing. Not only is it disgusting to watch, but the ripping and snagging turns fish off the bite. Time to get rid of this cupcakes, wheres the enforcement and why is nothing done? These same people who have no respect for the fish seem to be the same people who have no respect for the river, leaving garbage behind. Its only getting worse, just had to let some steam off.
The Bigger The Better!

Stopes

Why are you even questioning it. We all know what there doing, and its not fishing. I pay good money to play this sport I love, and while trying to enjoy it, I have to watch all this garbage going on. Where are the fisheries officers to give a slap on the wrist and a talking too on the method they are using, because its not fishing. Not only is it disgusting to watch, but the ripping and snagging turns fish off the bite. Time to get rid of this cupcakes, wheres the enforcement and why is nothing done? These same people who have no respect for the fish seem to be the same people who have no respect for the river, leaving garbage behind. Its only getting worse, just had to let some steam off.

I have only seen C.O's once this year and that was at the free BBQ at the river cleanup on Sunday, and I fish or at the river everyday.

adriaticum

• Old Timer

Well the question is whether salmonids bite when they enter the river.
Some say no, some say yes.
I say yes, you might say no.
The reason they are biting may be many. They are aggressive, protective, hungry.
I definitely believe that steelhead feed in the river. Some salmon will feed too depending on the conditions.

If you are on the No side then we are all flossing them.
If you are on the Yes side then fishing dark, high river can be excellent fishing.

Do you make the distinction between people bottom bouncing with 6 foot leaders with wool and those who fish blades and roe with 1 foot leaders?
Is there a difference?
Some do make that distinction, some don't.

I fished the high river on Sunday with Colorado blades right next to 3 guys who were bottom bouncing wool with 10 foot leaders.
Most of my fish took the lure with their mouths but I did hook a few on the back. You can't avoid the pinks right now. I had at least 40-50 fish.
My coho took the lure as soon as it hit the water.
So do I qualify as a flosser too?
The other guys were catching almost as many fish with their leaders but the percentage of my fish that took the lure was definitely higher.

Yes I know it's painful to see all those flossers taking fish in the @rse all the time and taking half-dead springs. I always think about those 8000 eggs that won't hatch.

But to come say that during high water you can't fish and/or say that everyone fishing high, dark water is a flosser is stupid and un-educated.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:23:14 PM by adriaticum »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Why are you asking me if salmon bite? Of course they do, and anyone else out there who short floats can agree with me. Anyone out there even asking themselves this question, should be questioning there fishing methods.

So you said If I agree that fish do bite, then fishing must be good in all conditions even high blown out river conditions? Im not sure about everyone else, but I think anyone whos trying to trick a fish into biting would find these conditions the most undesirable. But for some reason those guy dipping there floats in and out faster then a bullet, have no problem hooking fish.

Im not saying your fish didn't bite, Because Iv proven myself that you can catch fish in even the worst conditions. But I will say its much tougher. You also mentioned you hooked into 50 fish and a number of them were foul hooked. That is a good indiction that your running your hook through a highly populated salmon path, and like are probably flossing fish as well. But Ill agree with you on that you can catch fish in tough condtions. But it doesn't take a lot of brains to figure out if someone is force feeding the fish or not.
The Bigger The Better!

adriaticum

• Old Timer

Why are you asking me if salmon bite? Of course they do, and anyone else out there who short floats can agree with me. Anyone out there even asking themselves this question, should be questioning there fishing methods.

So you said If I agree that fish do bite, then fishing must be good in all conditions even high blown out river conditions? Im not sure about everyone else, but I think anyone whos trying to trick a fish into biting would find these conditions the most undesirable. But for some reason those guy dipping there floats in and out faster then a bullet, have no problem hooking fish.

Im not saying your fish didn't bite, Because Iv proven myself that you can catch fish in even the worst conditions. But I will say its much tougher. You also mentioned you hooked into 50 fish and a number of them were foul hooked. That is a good indiction that your running your hook through a highly populated salmon path, and like are probably flossing fish as well. But Ill agree with you on that you can catch fish in tough condtions. But it doesn't take a lot of brains to figure out if someone is force feeding the fish or not.

We all foul hook the odd fish during pink season.
When there are dozens of fish in the water you can't avoid it. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.
There is no difference between fishing in muddy water and fishing first light.
The visibility is limited or non-existent.
Fish don't rely on their eye sight alone to detect their food and feel their surroundings.
If you want to be successful at fishing high water conditions you have to find slow water to fish because the fish will be stacking up there to avoid being flushed downstream.
But it is harder to find those spots because they are few and far between.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Were's the   fish cop's  ????  maybe at Timm's  :)
I got checked the other day on the canal dyke just at dark.