Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: 2013 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 5414 times)

Jason J

Hello all, I am new to the forum and relatively new to fishing (started two years ago).  I was just wondering if the river is fishable or is it blown out? I was there last week and tried center pinning for the first time. It was an awesome experience although I hooked two fish (in the mouth) but lost them both.  Shortly after, an unsalvageable bird's nest formed due to my lack of experience; nevertheless, despite that, the experience was great for me especially since I could see that unlike most people who were foul hooking numerous fish with floats and long leaders , I wasn't.  After all is said and done, I may have only gotten two bites without landing any but I didn't foul hook any fish unlike others who I saw continuously doing it. It feels satisfying when you know fish actually bite your presentation.  In the past I have unintentionally foul hooked fish and that feeling is atrocious once you have been educated and can see and tell the difference between that and actually fishing. That's my two cents anyway.
Now back to my original question, what's the condition of the river?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Hi Jason

Welcome to the forum!

I was out today from 7am until about 2pm....river was pretty well blown out at the bottom (keith wilson bridge) to about the via train bridge; i saw some guys fishing but only one caught spring - no coho that i could see...i drove to tamahi and it was a zoo...crazy fast water and guys flossing....any luck i had was ironically way below lickman road near the vedder road crossing bridge...i hooked into about 10 pinks and lost one spring (long line release LOL)....i was fishing with a baitcaster...and spinners under a float.

if i were you i'd go as soon as fri/sat/sun//// yes...it appears dropping and clarity improving imo. should be way way better

Jason J

Thanks for the information Dennis! I'll definitely try it either tommorrow or on the weekend.

Hi Jason

Welcome to the forum!

I was out today from 7am until about 2pm....river was pretty well blown out at the bottom (keith wilson bridge) to about the via train bridge; i saw some guys fishing but only one caught spring - no coho that i could see...i drove to tamahi and it was a zoo...crazy fast water and guys flossing....any luck i had was ironically way below lickman road near the vedder road crossing bridge...i hooked into about 10 pinks and lost one spring (long line release LOL)....i was fishing with a baitcaster...and spinners under a float.

if i were you i'd go as soon as fri/sat/sun//// yes...it appears dropping and clarity improving imo. should be way way better