Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to catch tidal Fraser coho in October?  (Read 9295 times)

smokedfish56

How to catch tidal Fraser coho in October?
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:27:11 PM »

What are some good methods to get coho to bite in the tidal fraser in october?

KingOfEastVan

Re: How to catch tidal Fraser coho in October?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »

I do well on roe bags. Gotta wait for the bait ban to lift tho.
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:13:23 PM »

Not sure of the current regulations as I don't fish the tidal Fraser anymore. Bar rigging fresh boraxed chum roe is what we used back in the day.

ANFguy

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »

very interested in any info on this aswell

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »

Yeah, I remember the technique of bar rigging fresh boraxed chum roe for fishing in tidal water fraser - that was so popular back in the 90's. Though, I never tried it. I've always been a lure fishermen.

1son

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »

Try bottom fishing roe and tossing hardware

koifish

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »

How do you bar rig? I would love to try it when coho or chums come can i do that at river road?

Yvrsilver

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »

How do you bar rig? I would love to try it when coho or chums come can i do that at river road?

River road covers a lot of area , best thing to do is go at low tide find a nice clean area to cast your roe out to with no snags , place rod bring a chair and relax 8 hours later fish on  :P

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:12:58 PM »

Yeah, I remember the technique of bar rigging fresh boraxed chum roe for fishing in tidal water fraser - that was so popular back in the 90's. Though, I never tried it. I've always been a lure fishermen.
Goes back to the 70s when i first went with my Dad to the Brownsville wharf. Not sure if one can access Ritchie brothers sand bar anymore, lots and lots of coho and coho jacks were caught in these locations back in the day.The old wharf rotted away and the sky train bridge got built forever changing Brownsville bar. Havent been in yrs, but probally Derbys reach/two bit bar( thats another story for a different time) should still be good for Bar rigging.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »

Better be checking the regs before you go as I believe coho is closed to retention until mid October if I'm not mistaken.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »

Bar fishing the tidal portion of the river dates back close to 100 years. I first took part in this fishery back in the early 60s with my father. My wife's Grandfather who came to BC before WW1 recalled bar fishing in the 20s. In it's hay day the popular bars were crowded in the same way the popular section of the Vedder are today. Many camped on the river. People built canvas or plastic sheet lean tops to shelter from rain and wind and built communal fires for warmth. There was often a party atmosphere with beer or warm rum drinks.

Not as popular today due to the bait restrictions and the decline of coho runs.

Get this book if you can find it: http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/barfis.htm.

Buy your self a couple of "bar rigs" which are pre-rigged setups that have 2 t-bars to attach your hooks and a snap swivel to attach a weight.

Weights should be flat circular weights (look like a lead coin) of 1.5 to 3 ozs (45grams to 90grams) depending on current flow.

While roe is the best bait for coho we also took fish on dew worms and single eggs. I imagine prawns and or krill would work. If you can still use 2 hooks you can use roe on one hook and another bait on the 2nd. Anglers were often fascinated what type of bait, what sort of roe (chum vs coho or spring etc) was successful when a fish was landed.

Trout, jacks and char are also frequent catches as are coarse fish.

Best times to fish are early morning and right around a tide change. Different bars seem to fish better with different tides.

Don't cast to far - usually 30 to 70 feet is best. Check and change bait often. Having a 2nd baited rig ready to attach is an old tactic.

Good bars: the dump bar in Richmond, Sunbury Cedar (Delta), Brownsville under the Pattulo Bridge, the Leader Bar just by the Port Mann, the Glen Valley Duncan Bars in Langley and the Mission/Abbotsford Bar by the Mission Bridge. There are others as well.

These will fish well right into November.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:45:26 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Animal Chin

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 08:06:31 AM »

I'd prefer to set my bar rig like Rod does in his instructional video. That is, 3 way swivel, 3 ft leader w/lighter lb test to weight (longer leader increases risk of snagging, lighter leader so it breaks off), a "single" 1-1.5 ft leader/bait loop.

I found those bar rigs or wire extensions or whatever tangle etc, and 2 hooks (though allowed) just use more roe, take longer to re-roe (especially when the bullheads are around), increased chance of catching on rocks, snagging on nets and just plain suck. YMMV. The bite usually doesn't last long and when/if it comes, is fast and furious so you don't want to be screwing around untangling stuff.

I like the diamond weights, 2.5 - 4 oz .. or however heavy you're comfortable with. Your line drifting into others is really annoying.

I don't catch any less fish with the single hook set-up... except the old Filipino guys, they outfish me every time (I watch where they're casting).

But above all else, start fishing now and getting your hands on some roe and learning how to cure it. No matter how it looks, the stuff they sell YOU at the tackle store doesn't catch anything (for me anyway). Fresh, killer roe is like gold..do not lend it, share it or sell it  :D...otherwise enjoy your day sitting in the rain watching the old Filipino guys hooking up left right and center.

Casting and retrieving spoons and spinners also works. The hookups are way more fun.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:29:00 AM by Animal Chin »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »

depends where you fish but in the fall an oz to 1.5 oz is enough weight most of the time. The idea is to be sporting not to make a big splash when you cast. I've never had much problem with tangles using the bar rig . Direct rigging without the t-bars is more prone to tangle from my recollection. Whatever floats your boat however.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:28:32 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »

The descriptions of bar rigs were very interesting.  Bar fishing is often mentioned but I have never found a description of how or known anybody who knew how.  Or where for that matter, it seemed like a secret society.