Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to catch tidal Fraser coho in October?  (Read 9294 times)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: How to catch tidal Fraser coho in October?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »

depends where you fish but in the fall an oz to 1.5 oz is enough weight most of the time. The idea is to be sporting not to make a big splash when you cast. I've never had much problem with tangles using the bar rig . Direct rigging without the t-bars is more prone to tangle from my recollection. Whatever floats your boat however.
I never had a problem with tangling using a two hook bar-rig. I too used one to one and half oz flat weight. The advantage to using two hooks is u can use two different baits increasing your chances of a bite. Very important is u need to cast into a snag free area! And yes just before a slack tide was the best when we used to fish old Brownsville bar.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 01:10:27 AM »

A tandem hook bar rig setup is advantageous when the bite is off and you want to figure out what bait is working. Quite often I see the old timers baiting one hook with roe and the other hook with either dew worm, single eggs, shrimp/krill/ghost shrimp.

When the bite is on, it's best to stick to one hook. You don't want to be watching the rod tip tapping away and wondering if bait is taken from one hook or the other, or both. Having one hook allows you to set your hook more precisely, plus you use up less bait.

bcguy

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 06:13:04 AM »

3/8 brass spinners on a spin casting rod, I use a Fenwick HMX rod rated at 4 - 15 lbs, paired with a Phlueger Medallist reel...a ton of fun.
Lots of bar fisherman around alright, but they seem to take more jacks than anything else, the spinner will get you the adults every time.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »

A tandem hook bar rig setup is advantageous when the bite is off and you want to figure out what bait is working. Quite often I see the old timers baiting one hook with roe and the other hook with either dew worm, single eggs, shrimp/krill/ghost shrimp.

When the bite is on, it's best to stick to one hook. You don't want to be watching the rod tip tapping away and wondering if bait is taken from one hook or the other, or both. Having one hook allows you to set your hook more precisely, plus you use up less bait.
Have to disagree on this one. Having two hooks allow one to keep the your line in longer in case theres coarse fish around nibbling off your bait, when the bites on. Never found two hooks to interfere with a good hookset. The mistake a lot of beginners make is they don't wait long enough to set the hook. Cohos like to chomp on your bait for abit before they really bite. Tap,tap,tap ,then when the rod finally dips, set the hook!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »

Cohos like to chomp on your bait for abit before they really bite. Tap,tap,tap ,then when the rod finally dips, set the hook!

Good point. When I move from steelhead to coho season, I have to constantly remind myself to slow down as my rod hand is in a hair trigger mode by the end of the steelhead season.