Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing gear for Pink Salmon  (Read 7295 times)

smokedfish56

Fishing gear for Pink Salmon
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »

Hi, I'm new to the Lower Fraser river Pink Salmon fishery and would like to get some education on the gear needed. I have a 8"6 medium- heavy spinning rod that I use to target springs, Coho and Chum on the Vedder. Is that too big or will that work? I'm not to concerned about taking the fun out of fighting the fish but will a rod like that even detect the little bites? I've got 6lb coho on that rod which is similar in size but I'm not to familiar with the aggression or strength or the Pink salmon. I'm fishing in Fort Langley if that helps...

Thanks  :)

Animal Chin

Re: Fishing gear for Pink Salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:20:21 AM »

They're pretty aggressive. I don't think detecting bites is an issue. More a matter of how you can cast lures with the rod, and I'd say that's more an issue of line diameter. 8-12 lb line should be good.

If you're tossing out 2-2.5" buzz bombs it's not a problem, same with a 3/8 spoon...1/4 spoon or a spinner may not allow you to toss that far. Not sure about Fort Langely (never fished there) but pinks seem to swim close to shore anyway.

I'd say you're good.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »

That rod will work. It will be a little tiring for you to keep tossing it because of the length and weight.  Like the previous poster said tossing lighter lures is tougher.  You can give it a try and see how you feel about it.  Then go down to any store like Walmart, Canadian Tire, Army and Navy, or any tackle store and buy a cheap lighter rod and compare the difference.  I don't think you'll ever go back to your heavier rod for this type of fishery.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »

I was in the same boat as you back in 2011. It was my first run of pink salmon and I only had my dad's heavier gear to fish them with at the start. I soon bought a cheap 7.5 ft med spinning outfit from A&N and it was a much better experience. The biggest difference was casting distance and ease of casting for a couple hours. If I were you, I'd go buy a $35 set up at A&E or wherever, you'll have a much better day out on the water.  ;)
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »

I'm fishing in Fort Langley if that helps...

::)

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the Fraser closed or are you just another one of the guy that doesn't give a rats @$# and says they're fish for trout .

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »

Maybe he is being proactive and being prepared for if they open the river. Although I'm sure most people appreciate a FRIENDLY reminder.

Use a spoon or spinner in the fraser. Much better than a buzz bomb (save those for beach fishing).

smokedfish56

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »

I'm aware there is a ban on all Salmon fishing in the tidal and non tidal areas of the river, I'm preparing for what looks like to be a good pink salmon season.

thanks

bcguy

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »

I'm fishing in Fort Langley if that helps...

::)

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the Fraser closed or are you just another one of the guy that doesn't give a rats @$# and says they're fish for trout .
Wow, that jump was so high I heard you land.. ::) ;D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »

Hi, I'm new to the Lower Fraser river Pink Salmon fishery and would like to get some education on the gear needed. I have a 8"6 medium- heavy spinning rod that I use to target springs, Coho and Chum on the Vedder. Is that too big or will that work? I'm not to concerned about taking the fun out of fighting the fish but will a rod like that even detect the little bites? I've got 6lb coho on that rod which is similar in size but I'm not to familiar with the aggression or strength or the Pink salmon. I'm fishing in Fort Langley if that helps...

Thanks  :)

What you already have is plenty good.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:30:24 AM »

I was in the same boat as you back in 2011. It was my first run of pink salmon and I only had my dad's heavier gear to fish them with at the start. I soon bought a cheap 7.5 ft med spinning outfit from A&N and it was a much better experience. The biggest difference was casting distance and ease of casting for a couple hours. If I were you, I'd go buy a $35 set up at A&E or wherever, you'll have a much better day out on the water.  ;)

X2...still using my stuff from 2 years ago.

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:51:27 AM »

Sorry to come across the way i did . I'm just so sick of all poaching and bending of the rules thats going on this year and DFO DOES NOTHING when you call.
 I remember years ago when you could only keep coho and springs the amount of rule bending, poaching and sad fishing styles was so much less than it is today.
Anyway Smokedfish, good luck on yer quest for pinks when they open the river and again sorry to go off the way I did
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:07:52 PM by dan »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 01:06:09 PM »

DFO DOES NOTHING when you call

That's because they are dealing with thishttp://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/More+nets+seized+Fisheries+patrols+enforce+Fraser+fishing/8831418/story.html

It's all about allocating limitted resources. If you get a call about a guy fishing illegally with a fishing rod, and then you observe another guy fishing illegally with a net, you allocate your limitted resources where they will have the most impact.

Until you yourself are involved in fisheries enforcement, and can understand better how and why decisions are made, I would humbly suggest that you cut them some slack. 

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

Really,you have no idea who or what i know !!!! The issues im talking about happend weeks before the info you posted but thanks for the help ether way.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »

That's because they are dealing with thishttp://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/More+nets+seized+Fisheries+patrols+enforce+Fraser+fishing/8831418/story.html

Until you yourself are involved in fisheries enforcement, and can understand better how and why decisions are made, I would humbly suggest that you cut them some slack.

sometimes it's hard to cut them some slack when they've made poor management decisions in the past...back in 2010 they allowed a free for all during the commercial sockeye harvest, so much so that fish were rotting due to lack of refridgeration space...i've heard the argument of too many sockeye spawning and the lack of river bed...blah blah blah..but no one took the time to wonder if the bulk of the population may have been decimated because of the feast or famine mentality.

mdc8427

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »

you got heavy gear or coho and springs on the vedder but you dont know what gear for pinks?