Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing gear for Pink Salmon  (Read 7296 times)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: Fishing gear for Pink Salmon
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »

you got heavy gear or coho and springs on the vedder but you dont know what gear for pinks?
Solid post. Lots of information and help. I thank you for your contribution to this thread sir.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

crab

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »

That set-up should be useable for pinks. The one problem with a  heavier rod though, is that it might be
easier to lose fish since pinks have soft mouths.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »

I say a medium rod, even medium light rod is good for pinks. If your medium heavy rod is for spring, then it will be an over-kill for pinks. The fish are much smaller than springs. You may not lose fish but you lose the quality of fighting a smaller fish with lighter gear. It is also better for your arms if you spend a few hours casting.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 12:30:46 AM »

You can use a halibut stick to catch them, you can use a little trout rod to catch them, but the question is, will you catch as many as those who use an appropriate rod to catch them?

Most likely not.

Pink salmon bite very lightly quite often. Back in 2003's pink salmon season, I started feeling tiny taps numerous times during a retrieve prior to a committed bite. I thought it was a new behaviour, but then I realized that I had in fact switched to a lighter rod for that season, which is more sensitive. That rod was a Fenwick HMX rated 4 to 10lb. I used that rod from 2003 to 2011. The only problem with that rod is the lack of a backbone.

You can see that rod in action at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8awcP8T3ZhU

This year I started using a Shimano Clarus CSS90ML2B, rated 6 to 10lb. The tip is very sensitive as expected, but coupling with a stiffer bottom section, this rod casts much nicer and I look forward to using it not just for pink salmon, but also for coho salmon in the Tidal Fraser this October.

Why a heavy rod is no good?

- Too heavy to cast.
- Too difficult to cast a small lure out far.
- Too thick to detect lighter bites.
- Too stiff to feel the fight of the fish.

Invest on rods that you can enjoy using.

And Dan, you missed Clarki's point.

losos

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 06:33:47 PM »

I have 9' clarus CSC-90M-2 8-14 pound test line lure wt:1/4-3/4 fast action coupled with Curado 300 DSV  .Is it too stiff rod for pinks ? Do you think this can hold onto spring if I hooked one?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:35:56 PM by losos »