Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Productive pink flies??  (Read 26399 times)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Productive pink flies??
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »

Picked up this lot today.

Any comments RE: which one(s) would be most productive in the salt or which ones would be better left in the box?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:34:49 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Productive pink flies??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

Anything works for pinks. Red/pink/orange preferably. But I found blue/green/chartreuse works just as good.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »

saltchuck - 2 pattern on the top left and the chartreuse clouser bottom right

freshwater - clouser again and probably the fly above it. also get yourself some pink wooly buggers (weighted)

That should be enough patterns to get you into fish. Focus more on your retrieve speed. once you find one that works its game on
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »

saltchuck - 2 pattern on the top left and the chartreuse clouser bottom right

freshwater - clouser again and probably the fly above it. also get yourself some pink wooly buggers (weighted)

That should be enough patterns to get you into fish. Focus more on your retrieve speed. once you find one that works its game on

What Hook said, and don't forget to pinch those barbs.  I fish clouser type patterns for pink exclusively now as the upturned hook ensures a more solid hook set in the tougher upper jaw rather than the softer lower jaw (pinks have famously soft mouths).  I only had 2 of 12 fish toss the hook on me last time out, whereas a guy in front of me on the beach was 0 for 5 to the beach while I was there.  My bugger patterns are now tied with bead chain instead of single beads to get that rotation of the hook.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:45:24 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

zabber

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:37 PM »

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys!

Especially thanks for the info. on how to fish the clouser. Do you tie it upside down, or does it just flip that way in the water because of the weight? I'll start by tying it upside down tomorrow just to be on the safe side and see how that works out. Maybe pick up a couple of pink clousers from SeaRun on the way too.

Will let you know how I make out.

Cheers!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »

You tie the dumbbell eyes on the top of the hook shank but tie the pattern with the dark colour under the hook (same side as the point) so that when the barbell cause the hook to flip the pattern is sitting the proper way.

Do not buy actual pink coloured clousers. I had a few and they never worked, never !

only coloured clousers that have worked are the chartreuse/white and red/white

the clouser is very simple to tie but also very easy to over dress by tying in to much bucktail. Don't forget to add the green or pearl crystal flash in between the two colours. I have a few in my box I did in a rush and forgot the flash, they do work but nearly as well

HOOK - has about 20 clousers in his pink salmon box.................think I need to tie more  :o
Check out our new blog

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 03:47:03 AM »

As hook said, clousers are tied in upside down so they are right side (dark side) up when fished hook up.  The buggers are round patterns so they don't matter what way they are tied.

Do not buy actual pink coloured clousers. I had a few and they never worked, never !

only coloured clousers that have worked are the chartreuse/white and red/white

I have always used pink clousers, until last week that is  ;D, and have always done well, including the two I hooked last week before switching to the chartruese pattern.  In fact pink clousers were all I use in 2011 and was slaying them on the Fraser and Harrison.  The chartreuse pattern did do well, however, including that time I had three fish on three casts, but since I was not using the pink one at the time, there is no way of telling if the colour had really made the difference.  I will need to bring my daughter along next time to do a more scientific trial.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:53:58 AM by Sandman »

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »

Pink clousers are my go to. They work very well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »

are you guys getting pink bucktail with good colouring ?

the pink I had before was very very pale which may be why it didn't work well
Check out our new blog

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »

Yup. There's pink and there's fluorescent pink. I use the latter. I do also add some pink crystal flash to mine.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »

Yeah, I have both a hot pink bucktail and a paler pink flashabou accent. I mix a bit of crystal flash under (while the hook is upright in the vice) a few strands of white polar bear for the light side, then I flip the fly over and tie a bit of the pink flashabou under a few strands of the hot pink bucktail for the dark side. 

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »

California Neil in size 4 and 6 on Mustad 34007 also works really well for pinks and cohos in chartreuse and pink.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »

I do fine with a number of patterns.

Pattern 1)

hook: #6 to #8 2xl
eyes: small gold barbell or bead chain
Body: Silver (optional)
Hackle: florescent cerise marabou wrapped 2xs
topping: silver  or gold flashabou

The Pink Puke:

hook: #8 to #10 standard length
eyes: silver bead chain
tail: florescent pink or cerise marabou
body: florescent pink or cerise sparkle chenille

Note the Puke fly is an all white smallmouth bass pattern

Egg Headed muddler

Hook: 8 to 10 3xl
tail: pink or cerise mallard
body: holographic silver
Wing: same as tail topped with pearly krystal flash
head: puff of cerise egg wool

Pink Eve:

Body: silver
Wing: pink hair (bucktail, calf, fox or artificial) can be topped with a contrasting shade of pink
and krystal flash

Point is use florescent pink or cerise. Chartreuse can be subbed if you want to try something else.

other colours - I did well with an all white pattern tail was white, butt was hot green floss body white lite bright body and the hackle was pearl mallard.

Pinks aren't particular for the most part and pattern not critical - just have to present the fly right!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:00:16 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

zabber

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »

Haha, sorry for the confusion!

What I meant by "tie" was "to the line" ... so that the hook is facing up :P I'm just realizing that it doesn't really matter (with the improved clinch knot) whether you insert from the top side or the bottom side first because you can just move the knot around the hook later. Didn't really think that one through ::)

Anyways, didn't get a chance to try out the patterns today. Bought both gear and flies and everyone hucking fur wasn't getting much action whereas gear was producing. Wanted to get into fish (first time fishing pinks from the beach) more than experience the thrill of salmon on the fly so chucked the productive metal. Gonna go again Friday so may get a chance then.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »

Haha, sorry for the confusion!

What I meant by "tie" was "to the line" ... so that the hook is facing up :P I'm just realizing that it doesn't really matter (with the improved clinch knot) whether you insert from the top side or the bottom side first because you can just move the knot around the hook later. Didn't really think that one through ::)

Use a non slip loop knot, it gives better action to the fly.