Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Productive pink flies??  (Read 26398 times)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: Productive pink flies??
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 11:26:26 PM »

Thanks Sandman, I'll give that shot.

Do you use that knot for all flies, or just that particular one? I know that with chironomids you want to tie a loop knot like that -- to give them a more natural dangle -- but haven't heard that that type of knot is used for other bugs.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »

I use a loop knot on everything but dry flies. any fly you want to have some action or to be swung needs to have full movement in the water and a loop knot allows it to be free to move. using Clinch knots will work of course but you will notice your fly has more freedom when tied with a loop.

love the loop, it will love you back  ;)

I mainly don't use loop for dries because I think the loop dragging in the surface film will cause the fly to partially sink, have strange action, track incorrectly.......etc

Chehalis - thanks for the C Neil suggestion. not sure why I never thought to use those for pinks LoL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »

Chehalis - thanks for the C Neil suggestion. not sure why I never thought to use those for pinks LoL

Yeah, my "buggers" are really CNs.
Not all those who wander are lost

zabber

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »

Good to know. I'll be doing some trout fishing around 70 mile house this Sunday-Tuesday so I'll give that knot a shot. Hopefully it puts me into more fish than usual  :D :D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:11 AM »

if your trolling then the loop knot will do nothing special for you. When you strip the fly to create "action" the loop knot allows the fly to get more action. If a swung fly is what your using then the loop allows the waters current to manipulate the fly more as it swings through the current causing the fly to jump, jerk, drop...... however the current moves. If your fishing under a bobber the loop knot allows your fly to always sit in the proper position regardless of pattern and you never have to worry that the knot has hinged to the side cause your fly to sit funny or track through the water strangely (I found the Clinch notorious for this)

also a properly tied loop knot has a higher breaking strength than the clinch knot. I have never had a loop break on me, its always broken above the actual knot itself

remember to lubricate the knot with some spit before pulling it tight. especially if using flourocarbon
Check out our new blog

ejeffrey

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

Yeah, my "buggers" are really CNs.

Does that mean you tie them a lot more sparsely than a traditional bugger? Also, do you change the CN body colour or hackle to pink?

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »

Does that mean you tie them a lot more sparsely than a traditional bugger? Also, do you change the CN body colour or hackle to pink?

For CN bubble gum or hot pink with red wire ribbing is the ticket for the body. Hackle doesn't really matter but I just use regular grizzly hackle as it contrasts with the body.

zabber

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »

if your trolling then the loop knot will do nothing special for you.

Ah, good to know.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »

Yes, I use a flashy material, either a few strands of flashabou or a cut up anti static bag, for the body instead of the usual chenille. I rib it with thin wire, usually red, before wrapping the hackle.

hardlip

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 08:25:41 PM »

Guys , if using a sink tip line....  should I have a leader to tippet? or just 4ft of tippet off sink tip line will work?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »

Guys , if using a sink tip line....  should I have a leader to tippet? or just 4ft of tippet off sink tip line will work?

I use a couple of feet of 8-10 pound ultragreen then a couple of feet of 6 pound fluorocarbon for tippet.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 05:49:56 AM »

I just normally use one full 6-8 foot length of 8lb ultragreen

Sandman - you tie your CN's with chenille ? the body is actually supposed to be diamond braid which is a flashy material.

HOOK - likes him some CN's but never thought to whore them out to pinks  :o
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »

I only use sparkle chenille or a similar material for salmon patterns. You can clip the stuff down to get a body with a thin profile.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »

Sandman - you tie your CN's with chenille ? the body is actually supposed to be diamond braid which is a flashy material.

No, I tie my woolly buggers with chenille (olive or black for coho), but I tie my CNs (which i had earlier referred to as "buggers" when in fact they are CNs) with  a few strands of flashabou or a strip off Anti-static bag. My pink ones are tied with a few strands of that pink flashabou accent I was using for the clousers. I rarely tie flies the way they are "supposed" to be tied, instead I look at the fly (In a book, in the fly shop's display case, on the line of the guy in the boat next to me catching all the fish, etc) and then tie it with whatever I happen to have on hand, making it look as close to the original as possible.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:40:13 AM by Sandman »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 09:38:29 AM »

I only use sparkle chenille or a similar material for salmon patterns. You can clip the stuff down to get a body with a thin profile.

I have started using that too, but haven't been trimming them.  I should try that.