Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1341773 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1515 on: May 27, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »

Now in Victoria with Alex and Eddie to deliver 40 pounds of petitions with around 108,000 signatures to Christy Clark to request that FF are removed from our oceans.Hope to capture some pictures and video for SS and Dave. :D :D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1516 on: May 27, 2015, 11:34:11 PM »

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2015/05/on-may-8-2010-i-helped-lead-the-final-steps-of-the-get-out-migration-a-6-day-walk-down-vancouver-island-to-victoria-th.html

Numerous government salmon farm reviews since 1989, culminating in the Cohen Inquiry have all told government the same thing.  Get this industry away from the wild salmon.

Show me the recommendation where Cohen said to remove the industry away from wild salmon. Not the same as a moratorium in a certain area.

A recent Federal Court decision says the Minister of Fisheries unlawfully gave the industry permission to transfer diseased farmed salmon into pens in our oceans.

There was no evidence at the trial to suggest that these transferred farm salmon were indeed diseased. Morton and Ecojustice provided no evidence to support that claim.  A virus and a disease are not the same thing, but Morton uses them interchangeably.  Morton knows that, but is stretching things as usual because it makes for better headlines (actually good strategy because there are apparently 108,000 people that she fooled successfully).  Based on the evidence given before Nov 2013 (studies after that date were not included), the court recognized PRV as a "disease agent" (not the same has having disease) because of it's association to HSMI, no other disease agent had been found, and that PRV and HSMI was found in countries like Chile and Scotland.  This is despite the fact this virus has never to been shown to actually cause disease (i.e. HSMI)....amongst other things......
http://wdfw.wa.gov/pnfhpc/pubs/ireports/Piscine_Orthoreovirus_PNFHPC_Whitepaper.pdf

Canadians are loosing a generation of wild salmon in the Broughton Archipelago to sea lice from salmon farms right now.

In her blog, Morton states her sampling results suggest that 94% of young salmon leaving the Broughton Archipelago are badly infected with lethal lice loads.  However, I wonder how she can make that statement when 1) she provides no sample size (or number of sites); 2) she provides no date or size range for her sampling; 3) she provides no information where her sampling sites were located in the Archipelago; 4) she provides no total outmigration numbers of Pink and Chum from any of the streams in the Broughton Area.  If your outmigration is 50 million and you sample just a fraction of that (i.e. 500) how can you confidently state with statistical certainty such a high percentage of infection?  How do we know that sampling was temporally (time) and spatially (space) representative?  What if her sampling was discontinued prematurely?  On the other hand, on a year like this, it is possible that many smolts could have left early.  Do we assume that lice loads on the front part of the outmigration were the same as the back half?  What if most of her sites were at one area of Archipelago?  Are all smolts in the Archipelago getting an equal chance of capture?  How do we know she is not recapturing a portion of her previously sampled fish?  Do we assume that the juveniles just leave the Archipelago following capture or leave the area around the site they were captured?  Need more information.  Now, if she said that 94% of the fish she sampled had lethal lice loads that would be different.

I asked DFO yesterday what the ramifications will this have on the companies involved. I was answered with silence!  Here we go again, starving bears, lost tourism, failure of nutrients to feed the forests, loss of a valuable stock of fish

Morton should start looking at some of the other issues making headlines these days.  Pretty tough when she has such a myopic view of Pacific Salmon issues.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/warm-blob-of-water-in-pacific-ocean-could-hurt-salmon-1.3001677
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:00:08 AM by shuswapsteve »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1517 on: May 28, 2015, 03:42:35 AM »

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2015/05/on-may-8-2010-i-helped-lead-the-final-steps-of-the-get-out-migration-a-6-day-walk-down-vancouver-island-to-victoria-th.html

Numerous government salmon farm reviews since 1989, culminating in the Cohen Inquiry have all told government the same thing.  Get this industry away from the wild salmon.

Show me the recommendation where Cohen said to remove the industry away from wild salmon. Not the same as a moratorium in a certain area.

A recent Federal Court decision says the Minister of Fisheries unlawfully gave the industry permission to transfer diseased farmed salmon into pens in our oceans.

There was no evidence at the trial to suggest that these transferred farm salmon were indeed diseased. Morton and Ecojustice provided no evidence to support that claim.  A virus and a disease are not the same thing, but Morton uses them interchangeably.  Morton knows that, but is stretching things as usual because it makes for better headlines (actually good strategy because there are apparently 108,000 people that she fooled successfully).  Based on the evidence given before Nov 2013 (studies after that date were not included), the court recognized PRV as a "disease agent" (not the same has having disease) because of it's association to HSMI, no other disease agent had been found, and that PRV and HSMI was found in countries like Chile and Scotland.  This is despite the fact this virus has never to been shown to actually cause disease (i.e. HSMI)....amongst other things......
http://wdfw.wa.gov/pnfhpc/pubs/ireports/Piscine_Orthoreovirus_PNFHPC_Whitepaper.pdf

Canadians are loosing a generation of wild salmon in the Broughton Archipelago to sea lice from salmon farms right now.

In her blog, Morton states her sampling results suggest that 94% of young salmon leaving the Broughton Archipelago are badly infected with lethal lice loads.  However, I wonder how she can make that statement when 1) she provides no sample size (or number of sites); 2) she provides no date or size range for her sampling; 3) she provides no information where her sampling sites were located in the Archipelago; 4) she provides no total outmigration numbers of Pink and Chum from any of the streams in the Broughton Area.  If your outmigration is 50 million and you sample just a fraction of that (i.e. 500) how can you confidently state with statistical certainty such a high percentage of infection?  How do we know that sampling was temporally (time) and spatially (space) representative?  What if her sampling was discontinued prematurely?  On the other hand, on a year like this, it is possible that many smolts could have left early.  Do we assume that lice loads on the front part of the outmigration were the same as the back half?  What if most of her sites were at one area of Archipelago?  Are all smolts in the Archipelago getting an equal chance of capture?  How do we know she is not recapturing a portion of her previously sampled fish?  Do we assume that the juveniles just leave the Archipelago following capture or leave the area around the site they were captured?  Need more information.  Now, if she said that 94% of the fish she sampled had lethal lice loads that would be different.

I asked DFO yesterday what the ramifications will this have on the companies involved. I was answered with silence!  Here we go again, starving bears, lost tourism, failure of nutrients to feed the forests, loss of a valuable stock of fish

Morton should start looking at some of the other issues making headlines these days.  Pretty tough when she has such a myopic view of Pacific Salmon issues.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/warm-blob-of-water-in-pacific-ocean-could-hurt-salmon-1.3001677
How many issues do you thing one person can do? As I have said so many times it is time for others to tackle issues that concern them and they continue to write about and in some cases critize what others are trying to do to make things better for our world.

It is so easy to sit behind the comfort of ones computer screen. Being on the front lines so to speak with the recently completed Caravan for Wild Salmon and yesterday at the Leg. gives one a different perspective on things, you have to be there to complety understand.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1518 on: May 28, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »

How many issues do you thing one person can do? As I have said so many times it is time for others to tackle issues that concern them and they continue to write about and in some cases critize what others are trying to do to make things better for our world.

It is so easy to sit behind the comfort of ones computer screen. Being on the front lines so to speak with the recently completed Caravan for Wild Salmon and yesterday at the Leg. gives one a different perspective on things, you have to be there to complety understand.

Personally I would like to see Steve take on that warm blob of water he brought up. 
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1519 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »

Personally I would like to see Steve take on that warm blob of water he brought up.
Seriously, this warm water off our coast could have huge implications for salmon. I can't wait to see the spin Almo puts on the distinct possibility of far fewer salmon returning in the next few years.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1520 on: May 28, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »

So, basically the ends justifies the means? Sounds even more appealing now.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1521 on: May 29, 2015, 08:11:26 PM »

Wow what a day it was at the Leg. For anyone interested my pictures are on the Salmon are Sacred's FB page even though Dave does not do FB. ;D ;D Maybe he does not know how to get there either. ;)

Will have some video later for the PAPG.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1523 on: May 31, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »

From Hansard when we were in Victoria.
A. Weaver: Okay. I will present a petition.
I would like to present a petition on this — probably the most irresponsible fiscal decision the government has ever made — day in the B.C. Legislature.
This is a petition by 108,848 people who are asking the government to please not issue licences of occupation to salmon farms trying to expand in British Columbia. The rationale for that I outlined in question period.
This petition very clearly identifies the wishes of British Columbians. This petition, I hope, is listened to by the government of British Columbia.
Madame Speaker: Is that a second petition, member?
A. Weaver: I have a second petition.
Now this is a petition of over 100 business organizations across the province who are essentially supporting the 109,000 individuals who signed this. These business organizations are small businesses, umbrella organizations, environmental organizations, fly fishing organizations, river societies, sailing societies — numerous societies across British Columbia.
They are asking the following: "We, the undersigned, are convinced by the published scientific evidence that open-net salmon farms are a threat to B.C. wild Pacific salmon."

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1524 on: May 31, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »

A. Weaver: The Cohen commission recommended that fish farms not be located on sockeye salmon migration routes, yet this week millions of sockeye fry will be migrating past fish farms in the Discovery Passage and Broughton Archipelago.
Scientific research has suggested a link between fish farm lice outbreaks and the spread of diseases like the piscine reovirus, salmonid alphavirus and the infectious salmon anemia virus The spread, obviously, of such diseases would have grave environmental, cultural and economic consequences for the province of British Columbia, let alone Canada.
Finally, a first in North America, the 'Namgis Nation on northern Vancouver Island is farming Atlantic salmon at a land-based facility without posing any disease or sea lice threat to wild salmon.
To the Minister of Agriculture: what is the government doing to stop the expansion of open-pen fish farms in the ocean and to promote the creation of more operations like the one the 'Namgis Nation operates?
Hon. N. Letnick: Thank you to the member opposite for the question. Our government is committed to the socially and ecologically responsible management of B.C. fisheries, including an environmentally and economically sustainable aquaculture industry for the benefit of all British Columbians.
We place the health of all wild fisheries, including salmon, as paramount. That's why the government works with our federal counterparts and aquaculture operators to monitor for diseases and is prepared to implement a prompt, coordinated and science-based response if necessary.
I want to remind the members opposite that the Supreme Court of Canada has already ruled that the jurisdiction of licensing is that of the federal government and tenures is that of the provincial government.
The approval for licensing on the federal government side is quite high. They look for applications that can be rejected for anything to do with biotoxins, water quality, impacts to the environment, impacts to spawning areas, cumulative impact to fisheries and impact to navigable waters.
It's also very high on the province's role. We accept Land Act applications for new salmon aquaculture sites from companies that demonstrate world-class standards for resource sustainability.
[1430]
A. Weaver: Thank you to the minister for referring to the Supreme Court ruling, which in fact, actually, ensures that the province continues to retain jurisdiction over issuing land tenures that designate the area a fish farm will occupy.
Although section 8 of the Land Use Operational Policy for Aquaculture cites the provincial government's sustainability principles as informing leasing decisions, current operating practices indicate these values are not being
HSE - 20150527 PM 013/ACR/1430

retain jurisdiction over issuing land tenures that designate the area a fish farm will occupy. Although section 8 of the Land Use Operational Policy for Aquaculture cites the provincial government's sustainability principles as informing leasing decisions, current operating practices indicate these values are not being adequately applied.
Earlier this month the federal court ruled against an aquaculture licence condition that allowed diseased fish to be transferred into open-pen fish farms, and DFO — that's federal, of course — has been given four months to fix this policy. Nevertheless, there remains provincial jurisdiction.
Given that we currently lack the regulations needed to verify the presence and control the spread of pathogens in farmed salmon, will the Minister of Agriculture today commit to stop granting new licences of occupation for this industry on sockeye salmon migration routes?
Hon. N. Letnick: Again, I have to repeat that the government is committed to the socially and ecologically responsible management of B.C. fisheries. That's why we employ two of the outstanding experts in fish biology right here in British Columbia. That's why we have the great lab in Abbotsford, to make sure we continue testing for fish diseases.
The federal government is conducting a surveillance program on ISA, as the member has said, and the status of three viruses on the west coast — ISA, IHN and PRV. So far all results were negative, no virus.
When we look at IHN, they tested a total of 1,300 B.C. wild salmon and trout for IHN in 2012-2013. Again, all were negative, no virus.
Sea lice are native to B.C. waters, like many other wild animals which have a population cycle trend. What they find is the more that come during one season, the more potential for sea lice in the following season.
Once again, we take very seriously our role in the provision of licensing and also in tenuring. We will continue to hold those values very high to make sure that our wild salmon are protected in British Columbia.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:28:12 PM by chris gadsden »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1526 on: May 31, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »

From Hansard when we were in Victoria.
A. Weaver: Okay. I will present a petition.
I would like to present a petition on this — probably the most irresponsible fiscal decision the government has ever made — day in the B.C. Legislature.
This is a petition by 108,848 people who are asking the government to please not issue licences of occupation to salmon farms trying to expand in British Columbia. The rationale for that I outlined in question period.
This petition very clearly identifies the wishes of British Columbians. This petition, I hope, is listened to by the government of British Columbia.
Madame Speaker: Is that a second petition, member?
A. Weaver: I have a second petition.
Now this is a petition of over 100 business organizations across the province who are essentially supporting the 109,000 individuals who signed this. These business organizations are small businesses, umbrella organizations, environmental organizations, fly fishing organizations, river societies, sailing societies — numerous societies across British Columbia.
They are asking the following: "We, the undersigned, are convinced by the published scientific evidence (only the evidence we approve of - the rest we turn a blind-eye to) that open-net salmon farms are a threat to B.C. wild Pacific salmon."

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1527 on: May 31, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »

A. Weaver: The Cohen commission recommended that fish farms not be located on sockeye salmon migration routes (False, he didn't say that. Read Vol 3.; Ch. 2; pages 20-26), yet this week millions of sockeye fry (Huh? Would that be smolts?) will be migrating past fish farms in the Discovery Passage and Broughton Archipelago.
Scientific research has suggested a link between fish farm lice outbreaks and the spread of diseases like the piscine reovirus, salmonid alphavirus and the infectious salmon anemia virus (Someone didn't read Cohen or refer much to his findings) The spread, obviously, of such diseases would have grave environmental, cultural and economic consequences for the province of British Columbia, let alone Canada.
Finally, a first in North America, the 'Namgis Nation on northern Vancouver Island is farming Atlantic salmon at a land-based facility without posing any disease or sea lice threat to wild salmon.
To the Minister of Agriculture: what is the government doing to stop the expansion of open-pen fish farms in the ocean and to promote the creation of more operations like the one the 'Namgis Nation operates?
Hon. N. Letnick: Thank you to the member opposite for the question. Our government is committed to the socially and ecologically responsible management of B.C. fisheries, including an environmentally and economically sustainable aquaculture industry for the benefit of all British Columbians.
We place the health of all wild fisheries, including salmon, as paramount. That's why the government works with our federal counterparts and aquaculture operators to monitor for diseases and is prepared to implement a prompt, coordinated and science-based response if necessary.
I want to remind the members opposite that the Supreme Court of Canada has already ruled that the jurisdiction of licensing is that of the federal government (thank Morton for that) and tenures is that of the provincial government.
The approval for licensing on the federal government side is quite high. They look for applications that can be rejected for anything to do with biotoxins, water quality, impacts to the environment, impacts to spawning areas, cumulative impact to fisheries and impact to navigable waters.
It's also very high on the province's role. We accept Land Act applications for new salmon aquaculture sites from companies that demonstrate world-class standards for resource sustainability.
[1430]
A. Weaver: Thank you to the minister for referring to the Supreme Court ruling, which in fact, actually, ensures that the province continues to retain jurisdiction over issuing land tenures that designate the area a fish farm will occupy.
Although section 8 of the Land Use Operational Policy for Aquaculture cites the provincial government's sustainability principles as informing leasing decisions, current operating practices indicate these values are not being
HSE - 20150527 PM 013/ACR/1430

retain jurisdiction over issuing land tenures that designate the area a fish farm will occupy. Although section 8 of the Land Use Operational Policy for Aquaculture cites the provincial government's sustainability principles as informing leasing decisions, current operating practices indicate these values are not being adequately applied.
Earlier this month the federal court ruled against an aquaculture licence condition that allowed diseased fish (never shown to be in fact "diseased") to be transferred into open-pen fish farms, and DFO — that's federal, of course — has been given four months to fix this policy. Nevertheless, there remains provincial jurisdiction.
Given that we currently lack the regulations needed to verify the presence and control the spread of pathogens in farmed salmon (False), will the Minister of Agriculture today commit to stop granting new licences of occupation for this industry on sockeye salmon migration routes?
Hon. N. Letnick: Again, I have to repeat that the government is committed to the socially and ecologically responsible management of B.C. fisheries. That's why we employ two of the outstanding experts in fish biology right here in British Columbia. That's why we have the great lab in Abbotsford, to make sure we continue testing for fish diseases.
The federal government is conducting a surveillance program on ISA, as the member has said, and the status of three viruses on the west coast — ISA, IHN and PRV. So far all results were negative, no virus.
When we look at IHN, they tested a total of 1,300 B.C. wild salmon and trout for IHN in 2012-2013. Again, all were negative, no virus.
Sea lice are native to B.C. waters, like many other wild animals which have a population cycle trend. What they find is the more that come during one season, the more potential for sea lice in the following season.
Once again, we take very seriously our role in the provision of licensing and also in tenuring. We will continue to hold those values very high to make sure that our wild salmon are protected in British Columbia.

Who's job was it to pass along this information to Weaver?  I guess you get what you pay for when you get a politician to talk about this stuff.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:13:17 PM by shuswapsteve »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1528 on: May 31, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »

Love it when the problems in Chile and Norway are linked to non existent problems in BC or Washington.

Carry on Chris ...  ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1529 on: May 31, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »

Just keeping the 2 lone wolves in the wilderness informed. ;D ;D