Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1342091 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1485 on: April 29, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »

I'd like to hear that as well ;D  But we won't ...
Have been posting the info for a long time so will not repost it, of course anything against FF is denied by the PAPG.  :P

Another vid for your evening viewing pleasure, off to badminton now, hitting the shuttlecock hard, believing it is an____________________.  :D :D :D

Enjoy.  https://youtu.be/8IOAQvXALsA

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1486 on: April 30, 2015, 04:52:09 AM »

I'd like to hear that as well ;D  But we won't ...
:)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1487 on: May 01, 2015, 12:25:18 PM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1488 on: May 01, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »

Interesting photo - doesn't look like any sockeye smolt Iv'e ever seen.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1489 on: May 04, 2015, 08:26:10 PM »

Have been posting the info for a long time so will not repost it, of course anything against FF is denied by the PAPG.  :P

Another vid for your evening viewing pleasure, off to badminton now, hitting the shuttlecock hard, believing it is an____________________.  :D :D :D

Enjoy.  https://youtu.be/8IOAQvXALsA
Well Chris, I thought you would have posted more on this huge event, I recall movie star dreams … :D but, maybe the audience wasn’t paying attention.
More foolishness, the usual misinformation, and sadly, outright lies from Eddie Gardner, the Sto-Lo Don Staniford (or is it John Densmore ?)   
I find it ironic that while the protesters were protesting the right of consumer choice, young volunteers were planting trees in the newly created salmon habitat in the lower Vedder, the Browne Creek Wetlands Project   www.chilliwack.com/main/page.cfm?id=2513   
I’ll leave it to the readers to decide which group did the most to benefit wild salmon.

Thursday, May 14, is the grand opening of this latest partnership of various governments and local folks who truly care about fish, waterways and all that brings ...  wildlife like mink, otters, raccoons; waterfowl, herons, songbirds, raptors, reptiles and amphibians, and of course salmon.
This is really great stuff - come have a look.
All are welcome and I hope to meet a few of you there ;)   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1490 on: May 04, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »

Well Chris, I thought you would have posted more on this huge event, I recall movie star dreams … :D but, maybe the audience wasn’t paying attention.
More foolishness, the usual misinformation, and sadly, outright lies from Eddie Gardner, the Sto-Lo Don Staniford (or is it John Densmore ?)   
I find it ironic that while the protesters were protesting the right of consumer choice, young volunteers were planting trees in the newly created salmon habitat in the lower Vedder, the Browne Creek Wetlands Project   www.chilliwack.com/main/page.cfm?id=2513   
I’ll leave it to the readers to decide which group did the most to benefit wild salmon.

Thursday, May 14, is the grand opening of this latest partnership of various governments and local folks who truly care about fish, waterways and all that brings ...  wildlife like mink, otters, raccoons; waterfowl, herons, songbirds, raptors, reptiles and amphibians, and of course salmon.
This is really great stuff - come have a look.
All are welcome and I hope to meet a few of you there ;)
Hope it goes well, we will be doing our part for wild salmon on the Caravan on that date, what a great event it will be too.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1492 on: May 07, 2015, 01:37:20 PM »

Looking good these days on many fronts. >
> BIG WIN TODAY FOR WILD SALMON!!!
>
>
> Hello
>
> I am very happy to tell you that the lawsuit I launched 2 years ago today with Ecojustice finally got a decision. WE WON!!!!!
>
> The BC salmon farmers are no longer allowed to make the decision to put diseased fish in their farms!  This is very significant because most of the salmon farmed in BC that I test is infected with the virus PRV.
>
> The judge examined the science on PRV and made some very strong statements.

> I have posted his decision at the top of this blog.
>
> It is a dark day in Canada that we have to go to court to get the science read, but at least we still have this option.
>
> My deepest thanks to Ecojustice, they worked so hard on this.  We were a strong team!
>
> The industry has 4 months to comply - lots of hard work still ahead to make this stick.
>
> Thank you for staying with me through this.
>
> http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2015/05/we-won.html
>
> alex

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1493 on: May 07, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »

"The Department of Fisheries told the court during arguments that as many as 120 licences due to expire by the end of the year could be affected by the invalidated regulations." If only Justice Cohen's recommendations for more open testing by NGOs and government could come into practice: he said neither the salmon farming industry or DFO HAVE PROPRIETORIAL rights to testing farmed salmon.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Vancouver+court+orders+safeguards+prevent+fish+farm+disease/11037779/story.html

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:34:38 PM by chris gadsden »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1495 on: May 08, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »

Looking good these days on many fronts. >
> BIG WIN TODAY FOR WILD SALMON!!!
>
>
> Hello
>
> I am very happy to tell you that the lawsuit I launched 2 years ago today with Ecojustice finally got a decision. WE WON!!!!!
>
> The BC salmon farmers are no longer allowed to make the decision to put diseased fish in their farms!  This is very significant because most of the salmon farmed in BC that I test is infected with the virus PRV.
>
> The judge examined the science on PRV and made some very strong statements.

> I have posted his decision at the top of this blog.
>
> It is a dark day in Canada that we have to go to court to get the science read, but at least we still have this option.
>
> My deepest thanks to Ecojustice, they worked so hard on this.  We were a strong team!
>
> The industry has 4 months to comply - lots of hard work still ahead to make this stick.
>
> Thank you for staying with me through this.
>
> http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2015/05/we-won.html
>
> alex

Where is shown that these fish were indeed "diseased". Instead, Morton is implying that because they have PRV that they are diseased, but just because a fish has a virus doesn't mean it has or will develop the disease. From the ruling, the major flaw is in the regulations - not the science. As for the science, well we know that PRV has existed here longer than fish farming in BC; we know that wild salmonids that tested positive of PRV show no evidence of HSMI; the genetic data bank only has a few samples of PRV in which to make comparisons to others; fish with high concentrations of PRV do not necessarily develop HSMI and most (90%) net pen Atlantic Salmon here make it to market size.

Morton contends that HSMI will negatively impact migrating adult Fraser Sockeye, making it more difficult for them to migrate upstream, but forgets that HSMI primarily impacts the juvenile life stages.  But, again it is more about the actual regulations and their interpretation in ruling than the science.

The ruling seemingly states that HSMI has been found in Canada, but doesn't provide a reference for that. I would be interested to see where this came from.   

Here is one of the latest studies on PRV published recently this year.

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70140121

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1496 on: May 08, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »

And from troutbreath's G&M post ...

"Marine Harvest, which bills itself as B.C.’s largest salmon aquaculture company, disputed that it has ever transferred unhealthy fish. Therefore, said spokesman Clare Backman, the voided clauses aren’t important to company operations.

“We don’t find the decision changes anything in our ongoing business day-to-day.”

Backman said the company provided evidence to court of the presence of PRV along the B.C. coast existing long before salmon farms. The company also claimed it is naturally occurring and not linked to any disease at all."

Best to let the dust settle before claiming any victories here folks, and beware of this ruling possibly impacting future hatchery programs. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1497 on: May 08, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »

And from troutbreath's G&M post ...

"Marine Harvest, which bills itself as B.C.’s largest salmon aquaculture company, disputed that it has ever transferred unhealthy fish. Therefore, said spokesman Clare Backman, the voided clauses aren’t important to company operations.

“We don’t find the decision changes anything in our ongoing business day-to-day.”

Backman said the company provided evidence to court of the presence of PRV along the B.C. coast existing long before salmon farms. The company also claimed it is naturally occurring and not linked to any disease at all."

Best to let the dust settle before claiming any victories here folks, and beware of this ruling possibly impacting future hatchery programs.
I think I have heard you say you do not like hatcheries, maybe I am in error.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1498 on: May 08, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »

No, your'e right, I don't support hatcheries, but I do understand how important they are to commercial, FN, and sports fisherman.
Without them this forum wouldn't exist.
Understand, this latest wording of this ruling means if hatchery stock are found to have an endemic virus like PRV (very likely), the fish cannot be released. 
The devil is in the details ...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1499 on: May 08, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »

No, your'e right, I don't support hatcheries, but I do understand how important they are to commercial, FN, and sports fisherman.
Without them this forum wouldn't exist.
Understand, this latest wording of this ruling means if hatchery stock are found to have an endemic virus like PRV (very likely), the fish cannot be released. 
The devil is in the details ...
And the present government would most likley like this so they can pull more funds from FOC's budget.