Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1309480 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1500 on: May 09, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »

The latest science on PRV here in BC which didn't make it into evidence during the trial. Basically the science the judge had at the time was outdated. I'm sure Morton knows about this but why be a Debbie Downer with her supporters who are doing cartwheels right now. What they don't know won't hurt them I guess.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/pnfhpc/pubs/ireports/Piscine_Orthoreovirus_PNFHPC_Whitepaper.pdf

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1501 on: May 09, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »

It will be interesting how all this unfolds ... you know the media will want something to print, and Almo always delivers the gospel ;D when called; imo, it looks like a certain appeal to this ruling.  If that happens, I wonder who pays?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1502 on: May 09, 2015, 09:50:27 PM »

I am sure it will be appealed. In the ruling, the judge didn't like veterinary practice making these calls and sided with Section 56. Given the science at the time I can see why the judge shifted in the direction he did; however, the science has changed quite a bit since the trial began a few years back. Given what we know now about PRV here in BC, Morton's claims of PRV being this nasty virus wrecking havoc on wild Salmon don't hold much validity as she once thought they did. Who pays? Well, the respondents in the case were the Minister and Marine Harvest so I guess it would be a combination of private and public funds.

However, I agree with you that this decision (if it holds) could have implications for hatchery programs in this province.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1505 on: May 11, 2015, 03:34:41 PM »

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1506 on: May 11, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:27:26 PM by Fisherbob »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1507 on: May 11, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »

That sounds like an Almo back ground like this to me. :)
http://youtu.be/0QsCrFANMzc
:)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1509 on: May 11, 2015, 09:19:50 PM »

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:35:56 PM by Fisherbob »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1510 on: May 11, 2015, 10:52:56 PM »

Sounds familiar to what you hear on here.

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/Stephen+Hume+scientist+lacked+credentials/11045116/story.html

Actually I critique her work much more than her credentials.  Although I agree with Hume to a point I find it funny why he didn't do a story on how Alexandra Morton and her supporters don't actually consider the science as much they claim - instead defaulting to one's beliefs with no scientific basis.  Case in point: Angela Koch (one of the FB commenters to the article).

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1511 on: May 11, 2015, 11:42:35 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/whats-killing-off-bcs-young-salmon/article24362542/

Hume skipped right by Cohen's findings regarding sea lice. Not even a brief mention of what he actually concluded in regards to sea lice as a cause for Fraser Sockeye declines.  If he is going to get into the scientific evidence then Cohen should have been a natural lead-in.

Whatever the source, the problem appears serious. Ms. Morton reports 94 per cent of young pink and chum salmon in the Broughton Archipelago have sea lice, and predicts a massive population crash. Fraser sockeye smolts will migrate through the area in two weeks and the same fate could await them, she warns.

“I’ve had a crew out there since April 4 and we were very surprised to see heavy concentrations of sea lice,” she said Wednesday. “We look at 100 fish at each site, so 50 pink and 50 chum and … 94 per cent are infected.” - Alexandra Morton
Found here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/sea-lice-infestation-could-kill-up-to-millions-of-wild-salmon/article24300307/

The first article make it appear that 94% of the total outmigration have sea lice, but I believe it is 94% of Morton's sample (sample size is not clear in either article).

She is predicting a major population crash at the same time as this abnormally, warm "blob" of ocean water in the Pacific Northwest builds.  Interesting timing.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1512 on: May 12, 2015, 03:49:30 PM »

"The BC Salmon Farmers Association says the charge is without scientific merit, because there has been no outbreak of lice in farms and when lice are detected, fish are promptly treated with SLICE, a pesticide that is 95 per cent effective."

“Now, we don’t know whether the salmon farms failed to treat, or if their treatment failed.”

Jeremy Dunn, a spokesman for the BC Salmon Farmers Association, said sea-lice levels are currently low on farmed fish, however, and when a problem has been encountered, the fish have been treated.

The federal government, the fish farming industry and non-governmental organizations then agreed on practices to better control sea lice in farms. Some farms were fallowed when juvenile salmon were migrating past, and farmers began more rigorously treating infected fish.

Always treating. No tricking until you treat yourself to one of them dirty fish. Read it for yourself their tossing pesticides( pollutants ) into our waters because their greedy and don't want to farm any other way. But that's OK for the FF supporters.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1514 on: May 24, 2015, 09:46:43 PM »

Off to the Leg. in Victoria this week re fish farm issue, making progress.