Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly line to backing  (Read 6826 times)

waterbearer

fly line to backing
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »

Is there a preferred knot to attach fly line to backing ?

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: fly line to backing
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »

I use two nail knots.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »

Duct tape.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »

I use an Albright Knot

best knot for fly line to backing, i also use it in place of the blood knot or nail knot in every instance. never had one come apart or break  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »

I use an Albright Knot

best knot for fly line to backing, i also use it in place of the blood knot or nail knot in every instance. never had one come apart or break  ;D

I prefer it too, but that little loop keeps snagging my eyelet (I need to get a longer running line as it am constantly into 6 to feet of backing when I cast my clear shooting head).  On that note, my welded loop attaching the shooting head to the running line cracks and was catching too and I had no back up loops.  I cut the cracked loop off and tried a couple of different knots, but none were satisfactory.
Not all those who wander are lost

waterbearer

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

mbowers

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 06:13:04 AM »

I really like a loop to loop connection with the loop in the backing big enough to fit the entire reel through.  With the big loop in the backing you can easily change fly lines without having to retie a backing knot. 
I do not have any spare spools for my reels and just carry different lines on large diameter spools.  It's very quick to wind up one line on an empty spool and load up the other line on the reel. 
If using braid for backing make a double loop before tying the knot so you have two loops / four strands and tighten appropriately so all strands are the same length.  With dacron just one loop is enough.  Bimini twist is the recommended knot to make the loop in the backing, but I've always done fine with a Spider Hitch

alan701

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »

I just spooled for the first time. If the fly line came with a wielded loop then tie a surgeons loop on the backing (large one) then do the loop to loop connection.the spool should be able to fit through the surgeons loop.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »

I use an Albright Knot

Another vote for the albright knot.

I like how simple it is to tie.

A few years ago I was out chasing around some steel on a day when the river was just starting to drop after a blow out. Second fish of the day hit and took off instantly under a large log that was running acorss the tailout. A second later the hook popped out and the fish was gone. Once I started to reel in my line I discovered that my line was caught on this log and wouldn't budge. Not wanting to loose my line (Rio Versitip), I waded out to the log into the rapidly moving chest deep water to see what could be done. As luck would have it, the line was wedged in such a way that while I couldn't pull it upstream towards my rod, however, I was able to pull the line downstream away from my rod. In the end I was forced to cut my line at the backing, pull my line from the log and re-tie the albright knot all while standing in nipple deep water  that was roaring past me.
Actions speak louder than words.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 07:20:50 AM »

either the albright with a line lock or a loop to loop. For a loop to loop I use a Bimini twist in the backing. Loop in the line can be folded and nail knotted 2x with mono or a braided connection. I generally use the albright as  it faster but I find I have to redo it a fair percentage as the first draw down strips the line core.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »

Albright knot is the way to go with dacron.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »

-- whatever the knot I use loon knot sense to smooth it out