Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon at Capilano  (Read 40278 times)

Vancouver_2010

Re: Salmon at Capilano
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Golfer, I'll give that a shot. 

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »

Vancouver _2010, just be very careful in the canyon.  The pools you mentioned are busy for a reason, they are easy to access.  The others usually involve climbing down steep slopes, very steep slopes and put you at risk of injury or worse.  So go with a friend or at least tell someone where you are going and when you will be back.  I don't want to alarm you or put you off, just be prepared and have fun. 

It's probably not worth going until the water levels come up and fresh Hoe's and Chinook come in.  Keep an eye on the Kayak web cam and when the water levels get between 2-3, the gong will sound and you will have difficulty finding room to fish on the river (at the places you mention).  You might want to explore the Squamish, Mamquam and Cheackamus for some quieter fishing.

Here is a link to the cam for your information:
http://www.vankayak.org/capcam/

Vancouver_2010

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »

Thanks Knnn.  I'm from North Vancouver and I grew up climbing up and down the walls of Lynn Canyon, so I'm well aware of the dangers that are present in the Cap.  Thanks for the heads up though.

Pin-nook

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 09:38:40 AM »

I've heard of ppl snorkeling the capilano. How is the current? Is it safe do do u have specific spots?

Gooey is one of them! It's friggin cold though even during hot days during the summer.

I still don't understand the whole fishing the Capilano thing during the summers months when you know there hasn't been any fresh fish since end of June.  I take my dog for a walk near the Cable pool and sure enough I see guys targeting the dark coho in the pools and shake my head wondering why they bother and why get into a spot/hobby without researching further?

The learning curve could be cut in half if newbies researched the basics and come up with a plan before going out and gaining experience.

G-Ratt

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »

Climbing down Cap Canyon is a completely different ballgame from climbing in Lynn Canyon.

bald_seagull

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »

I take my dog for a walk near the Cable pool and sure enough I see guys targeting the dark coho in the pools and shake my head wondering why they bother and why get into a spot/hobby without researching further?

The learning curve could be cut in half if newbies researched the basics and come up with a plan before going out and gaining experience.

some people just arent wired that way and it probably never crosses they're minds
amazing what you can find on google regarding fishing locations and techniques

in ontario while looking for chrome steel, ive seen people fishing pools full of stale zombie chinook and retain fish
i gotta figure they didnt know any better and that will most likely be the last time the keep a black and white patchy my friend salmon
by that time i gotta figure they arent holding any roe anymore

Vancouver_2010

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »

Climbing down Cap Canyon is a completely different ballgame from climbing in Lynn Canyon.

Depends where you go, launching myself off of 60 foot cliffs under the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge has given me a pretty good respect for how dangerous they can be.  Either way I wont be playing any games with the Cap.

Thanks for all of the input though guys.  Heading down tomorrow morning to see if I can find some more secluded spots.

G-Ratt

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 12:36:44 PM »

Depends where you go, launching myself off of 60 foot cliffs under the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge has given me a pretty good respect for how dangerous they can be.  Either way I wont be playing any games with the Cap.

Thanks for all of the input though guys.  Heading down tomorrow morning to see if I can find some more secluded spots.

Pretty much everywhere from House Rock down to Doctor's Pool is very verticle and treacherous terrain, make sure you've got some good boots, especially with this wet weather. Sometimes we bring a rope and tie it off to some stumps to make it a bit safer. Good luck! It'll be tricky with the low water.

Tenz85

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »

Then it dropped back down to 1 an hour later. Be careful if you're fishinmgthe cap after a heavy rainfall.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »

Then it dropped back down to 1 an hour later.

What are you talking about ?  It is still at 4 now.  Go get them while they coming.... ;)

p.s.  Bait Ban !!!!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:01:46 PM by leapin' tyee »

Tenz85

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »

Hmm yep still four. Had a glitch or wasnt hitting the correct hour.

dobrolub

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »

What I find interesting is that all this water is from the side creeks because the dam is dry.

Pin-nook

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »

There's a bait ban in effect but seems to be a lot of guys using roe on the Cap today >:(

nickfrost

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »

See anything caught today?

hotrod

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »

What an amazing day it was!!! don't need to say much more,...... !!

hotrod
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:53:35 PM by hotrod »