Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon at Capilano  (Read 40253 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon at Capilano
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 08:36:33 PM »

12 lb. test mainline is sufficient

Drewhill

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 10:46:52 PM »

Some people are really concerned about their mainline, some aren't. I've seen guys with braid out fish guys with mono. Think leader is more important.

Drewhill

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »

And 10 pound leader should be good. 10 pound fluoro leader is better.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 11:47:33 PM »

The thickness of your line indeed determines your catch success due to a variety of reasons. It affects the way you cast, the bite sensitivity, etc. You need to find a balance between all the factors to come up with what line rating is most suitable for the type of fishing that you are doing. Personally, I can't imagine going beyond 15lb test as a main line and 10lb test as a leader when fishing in the Lower Mainland.

Using 15lb test line does not mean you cannot catch fish bigger than 15lb, it means you can't dead lift up an object that weighs more than 15lb because it'd snap. 12lb test main is what I use on the reels for drift fishing, the leader strength varies between 6 and 10lb, depending on the target species.

Here's a chinook salmon from several years ago caught with 8lb test Maxima Ultragreen running straight to the spinner.

This is more of an extreme example of course. It was actually quite surprising that it did not take too long to land this fish.

If I were someone who is just starting out salmon fishing in rivers, my concern would be figuring out what setup works best to improve my catch rate, not what setup can land me the largest salmon found in the river.

1son

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »

What a beast Rod must of been pretty fun with the light gear ;D

Fillibert

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 12:13:41 AM »

Whoever you buy your rods from must be biting his nails (warranty for broken rods)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 07:19:43 AM »

The fish in the cable pool are stale and have been harrassed all summer. 

I snorkeled that stretch of water this weekend pulling line and gear so I can tell you first hand, a lot of the fish are dark and the bottom is littered with junk.  I saw maybe 50-60 treble hooks wrapped with pencil lead down there, buzz bombs with triples....these fish have been pounded on so after being down eye to eye with them I can tell you that they are sitting/hiding in couple of spots that that the fisherman cant access easily.

This doesnt make for ideal fishing conditions.

So to anser your question, wait for higher water when some fresh fish show up or fish areas that are less trafficked and the fish see less pressure.

Drewhill

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »

I snorkeled that stretch of water this weekend pulling line and gear so I can tell you first hand, a lot of the fish are dark and the bottom is littered with junk.  I saw maybe 50-60 treble hooks wrapped with pencil lead down there, buzz bombs with triples....these fish have been pounded on so after being down eye to eye with them I can tell you that they are sitting/hiding in couple of spots that that the fisherman cant access easily.

So to anser your question, wait for higher water when some fresh fish show up or fish areas that are less trafficked and the fish see less pressure.

You must have cleaned up down there!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »

Forget about the dark old fish in the Cap right now. Wait for the rain to break down the native weirs blocking the lower river and new fish can come up river. As for leader, if you are fishing in a run/pool with plenty of room to fight a fish, light set up will be enough to land even a big spring. Ligher set up will hook more fish for sure. If you are fishing the rapids and there is not much room to play and land a bigger fish, you can use heavier line, even 15lb or 20lb. If fishing a pocket water with riffle in fast water, the fish is well oxgenated and aggressive. With so much air bubbles & foamy water around, the fish may not be aware of the thicker line used, and you have a better chane to land a moster.  :)

Fillibert

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »

I've heard of ppl snorkeling the capilano. How is the current? Is it safe do do u have specific spots?

mko72

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »

There must have been $300 in tackle down there. 

Also, if you found my 1/2 oz spoons, I'd like them back.  HAHA!!! ZING!!! ;D

SS Fintastic

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »

If you have access to one and if the conditions are right, try taking an underwater photo. It be interesting to see how much garbage is down there.

Vancouver_2010

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »

So I'm totally new to river fishing for salmon, and I guess one of my major concerns is avoiding crowds just so my inexperience doesn't screw up anyone else's day.  I'm planning on totally avoiding the cable pool, but how busy do the dog leg pool or the highway bridge pool get in the middle of a weekday?  I get that I'm going to have to learn to work around crowds at some point but if there are places that have a bit more space (even if the fishing isn't as good) I'd much rather do that. 

Apologies if it's not kosher to be posting on a thread this old, but I thought it may be better than starting a new one.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »

Buy 12lb mainline and 6lb and 10lb leaders.

Golfer

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »

So I'm totally new to river fishing for salmon, and I guess one of my major concerns is avoiding crowds just so my inexperience doesn't screw up anyone else's day.  I'm planning on totally avoiding the cable pool, but how busy do the dog leg pool or the highway bridge pool get in the middle of a weekday?  I get that I'm going to have to learn to work around crowds at some point but if there are places that have a bit more space (even if the fishing isn't as good) I'd much rather do that. 

Apologies if it's not kosher to be posting on a thread this old, but I thought it may be better than starting a new one.

Both the pools you mentioned can get "full" of fisherman pretty fast.  However, in the middle of the weekday, they will not be very crowded.  But the best fishing rarely comes from the spots that are the most convienent. I have had by far better luck at some of the less known pools on the cap. You can park at the hatchery, and walk down either side of the river, on the marked paths.  You will find that there will be many pools that hold fish, and no fisherman.  It is a small river, spend a couple hours finding some spots you like, and you should find success once we get some rain.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:23:04 PM by Golfer »