Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mill Lake Fly Fishing Competition, Abbotsford, B.C. – Sunday, Oct 14, 2012  (Read 8621 times)

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher

Mill Lake Loch-Style Fly Fishing Competition, Abbotsford, British Columbia – Sunday, October 14, 2012

Competition Water: Mill Lake near Abbotsford, British Columbia

Details:
1.   Max # of Entrants: 30
2.   FIPS-Mouche Rules
3.   Entry Fees/Payouts: None
4.   Eligible fish species: Rainbow Trout and Cutthroat Trout
5.   Minimum length for scoring points: 18cm.
6.   Number of sessions: 2 Sessions.
7.   Time Period for each session: 3 hours.
8.   Number of competitors per Team: 2 competitors (Individual Competitors will be paired up).
9.   No-Fish-Period: comp water no-fish policy will be in affect starting Monday, October 8, 2012 at 8:00am.
10. Style of fishing: Loch-style fly fishing (Casting and retrieveing your flies ahead of a freely drifting boat)
11. The use of electric motors is permitted for moving about the lake (trolling is not permitted).
12. Flies must be out of the water when the boat is under power (rowing or motoring).

Schedule of Events:
Boats go in the water around 8:00 am
Competitors’ Meeting: 8:45 am
Session 1: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Lunch Break: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm The Youth Team members will be serving a hot dog and burger lunch, as a part of their fundraising projects, so please bring along some cash to help support their cause.
Session 2: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

This competition, as well as the rest of the "Summer Series", allows participants a unique opportunity to participate in a series of fun and friendly-spirited competitions, and to observe how other fly fishers approach stillwater fishing. These competitions also help to expose you to local fisheries that you might otherwise overlook and fail to see their potential as anging and recreational destinations.

Please mark this event on your calendar and respond here or email Todd Oishi at: toishis@uniserve.com to confirm that you're able to attend. Please send me your full name, phone number and email address in order to complete your registration for this event. I really want to encourage newcomers and fly fishers of all skill levels to come out and see what it's all about.

Please keep in mind that it costs absolutely nothing to enter, so you've got absolutely nothing to lose...

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:48:09 PM by Tyson »
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher

Updated List of Confirmed Participants:
1. Todd Oishi
2. Chris Puchniak
3. Robert Ramsay
4. Devin Ramsay
5. Mike Oishi
6. Ross Pearson
7. Jordan Pearson
8. Dan Baraniuk
9. Chris Barnes
10. Kevin Cucheron
11. Curt Kehler
12. Mike W.
13. Mike W. Jr.
14. John Wilkinson
15. Tyler Wilkinson
16. Gord Wiens
17. Ron Corby
18. Ken Jessamine
19. Dwayne Simpson
20. Greg Simpson
21. Paul Davidson
22. Marc Bilan
23. Rick Clark
24. Max Cohen
25. James McGillivary
26. Vance Whitley
27. Matthew Mikes

Please respond on this thread or email Todd Oishi at: toishis@uniserve.com to register for this event.

Thanks,
Todd
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:06:24 AM by Tyson »

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
Re: Mill Lake Fly Fishing Competition, Abbotsford, B.C. – Sunday, Oct 14, 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »

There's still room for 3 more participants/competitors...

I should add that the race for the Grand Champion of the Summer Series is up for grabs, as there'll be 1500 points awarded for a 1st place finish at the Mill Lake competition; 1000 points for 2nd place; 750 points for 3rd; 600 points for 4th; 500 points for 5th; and so on down the line. Should be a very interesting and tight finish for this year's Summer Series...

Here's the updated Summer Series League's Leader Board, which includes the results from the Whonnock Lake; Sasamat Lake: Buntzen Lake; and Hicks Lake competitions (31 competitors/participants to date):

1. Chris Puchniak 1697
2. Rob Ramsay 1603
3. Todd Oishi 1563
4. Devin Ramsay 1315
5. Martin Payne 700
6. Vance Whitley 683
7. Kevin Cucheron 565
8. Chris Barnes 550
9. Arthur Olesiak 500
10. Jordan Viveiros 488
11. Jason Gemperle 464
12. Richard Choi 263
13. Matthew Mikes 233
14. Erik Barker 231
15. Paul Davidson 219
16. Chris Chan 210
17. Tyler Wilkinson 175
18. Greg Simpson 144
18. Dayne Simpson 144
20. Jeff Choi 127
21. Aaron Laing 108
22. Dan Baraniuk 80
23. Neville Gosling 40
23. Jose Viveiros 40
23. Rob Zed 40
23. Kevin Ehl 40
23. Joe Horvath 40
23. John Wilkinson 40
23. Mike Oishi 40
23. Ron Corby 40
23. Steven Lowns 40

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher

Good day everyone,

I've already sent a mass email to everyone that has registered for my email list, asking them to confirm that they'll be attending the Mill Lake competition in Abbotsford this coming Sunday (October 14th). Please reply here or email me at: toishis@uniserve.com with your response.

The Mill Lake event is the 5th and final event, as well as the Grand Finale of the 2012 Summer Series. The lake was stocked on October 9th, so it should be a very productive fishery and fun time for all.

The weather forecast for Sunday calls for rain, so please dress appropriately, so you'll stay warm and comfortable. Truth be known, the rain is a bit of a blessing, as it should actually help to raise the lake's levels and improve the overall angling conditions.

Parking is a bit limited at Mill Lake, so please try to arrive at the parking lot beside the boat launch well before 8:00am. The lake and parking lot is located behind the eastern end of Seven Oaks Mall on Mill Lake Road (head south on Bourquin Cresent W, and turn right on Mill Lake Road, which will take you directly into the parking lot).

Please reply as soon as possible, as I am trying to finalize the registration for this event and arranging partners for those who are relying on me to find them a boat partner or a partner to fish with. Please keep in mind that any last minute cancellations could potentially leave other anglers without a boat or partner to fish with...

I also need you to confirm the following items:
1. Will you be supplying a boat?
2. Do you already have a fishing partner? And if so, please provide their name.
3. Do you require me to find you a partner to fish with and a boat to fish in?
4. Do you need to borrow a drogue and set of thwart boards?

I'm still looking for a few volunteers to help flip the hamburgers and hot dogs at fundraiser that is being held at lunch time (they're free to leave after the lunch break is over).

Due to a few last minute cancellations, there's room for 4 more competitors (no previous experience necessary). Please contact Todd Oishi at: toishis@uniserve.com if you're interested in registering as a competitor for this event...

Cheers,
Todd

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher

There are now only 2 spots left in the competition, so please let me know if you wish to participate and if you have or need a partner to fish with, and if you have a 12 or 14 foot aluminum boat...

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher

Here are the final results:

Results in Session 1:

1. Todd Oishi                 2                9080               12
2. John Wilkinson           4                7800               11
3. Chris Puchniak           4                6380                 9
4. Robert Ramsay           4                3180                4
5. Max Cohen                 5                6240                9
6. Matthew Mikes           5                2960                 3
7. Mike Oishi                  6                2920                4
8. Devin Ramsay            6                2520                4
9. Ross Pearson              6                2280                3
10. Vance Whitley           6                2140                3
11. Aaron Laing              6                2080                3
12. Kevin Cucheron         6                1260                2
13. Dan Baraniuk            7                1920                3
14. Jordan Pearson          7                1520                2
15. Gord Wiens               7                1280                2
16. Martin Payne             8                1520                2
17. Paul Davidson           8                1300                2
18. Ron Corby                8                  900                1
19. Tyler Wilkinson         8                  660                1
20. Rob Nagai               10                  620                1

Here's the complete details of the results for each session:

Individual Results in Session 1:

Group A:
Place -  Name    -    Placing Points  - Fish Points - No. of Fish-Longest Fish
1.     Aaron Laing            1          -         1260       -         2                27cm
2.     Chris Puchniak       2          -          860        -         1                38cm               
3.     John Wilkinson      3          -           680       -         1                29cm
4.     Martin Payne         4          -          600        -         1                25cm
5.     Paul Davidson        5           -             0        -         0                30cm

Group B:
Place -  Name    -    Placing Points  - Fish Points -    No. of Fish  - Longest Fish
1.     Robert Ramsay     1          -         1580       -         2                39cm
2.     Vance Whitley      2          -         1500       -         2                38cm
3      Tyler Wilkinson     3          -           660        -        1                28cm
4.     Max Cohen            4          -           640        -        1                27cm
5.     Dan Baraniuk        5          -              0        -         0                  0cm

Group C;
Place -  Name    -    Placing Points  - Fish Points -    No. of Fish  - Longest Fish
1.     Todd Oishi               1          -         2880       -         4               32cm
2.     Kevin Cucheron      2          -           640       -         1               27cm 
3.     Rob Nagai                3          -           620       -         1               26cm
5.     Gord Wiens             5         -               0        -         0                0cm 
5.     Ron Corby                5          -               0       -          0                0cm

Group D;
1.     Devin Ramsay          1          -         1960       -         3               29cm
2.     Matthew Mikes       2          -         1120       -         1               46cm 
2.     Jordan Pearson        3          -           880       -         1               39cm
4.     Mike Oishi                 4          -          760        -         1               33cm 
5.     Ross Pearson            5          -               0        -         0                0cm

Individual Results in Session 2:

Group A:
1.     John Wilkinson      1          -          7120       -         10               40cm
2.     Chris Puchniak       2          -          5520        -         8                43cm
3.     Paul Davidson        3           -         1300        -         2                29cm
4.     Martin Payne         4           -           920        -         1                 41cm
5.     Aaron Laing            5           -           820        -         1                 36cm

Group B:
1.     Max Cohen            1          -          5600        -        8                27cm
2.     Dan Baraniuk        2          -          1920        -         3                29cm
3.     Robert Ramsay     3          -          1600        -         2                37cm
4.     Vance Whitley      4          -            640        -         1                27cm
5      Tyler Wilkinson     5          -               0          -        0                  0cm

Group C;
1.     Todd Oishi               1          -         6200       -         8               46cm
2.     Gord Wiens             2          -         1280       -         2               27cm 
3.     Ron Corby                3          -          900       -         1                40cm
4.     Kevin Cucheron      4          -           620      -          1               26cm 
5.     Rob Nagai                5          -               0       -         0                 0cm

Group D;
1.     Ross Pearson            1          -         2280       -         3               39cm
2.     Mike Oishi                 2          -         2060       -         3               33cm 
3.     Matthew Mikes       3          -          1840       -         2               41cm 
4.     Jordan Pearson        4          -           640        -         1               27cm
5.     Devin Ramsay          5          -           560        -         1               23cm

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:40:04 AM by Tyson »

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher

Here are some photos from yesterday's event (I'll try to add some captions when I get a moment). Please feel free to add some of yours as well: