Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumb People on the River  (Read 14090 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Dumb People on the River
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »

Do people not know how to read regs or just don't want to follow them?
I was fishing the Cap this evening and all of a sudden, a group of 4 people show up, pull out their little trout rods and start fishing. Then another man and his wife show up. All 6 of them were using bait (worms, roe, single eggs, corn), stuffing little smolts, cutties and I think a dolly (it was already starting to get dark) into bags. Just throwing them in. They had barbed hooks and were ripping the fishes lips when removing the hook. I approached all of them and told them what the regs were and that they were not allowed to do what they were doing. They said "Ok sorry man, I didn't know, I'll change it right away." Not 5 minutes pass when I look behind me and hes putting another fish into a plastic bag, using bait and keeping every fish they catch. I folded up my fly rod and just sat down by the viewing platform and watched. They were fishing well past dark and probably fished well after I left as they where pulling out their chairs.
I don't get people that just can't read the regs before they go out and fish, I phoned it in but no one showed up. The few fish they did put back were thrown in, some hitting rocks on the way down. Wonder how many smolts they killed...

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: Dumb People on the River
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:12:26 PM »

:(
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »

Some just don't care

kalex60

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:07:44 AM »

thats going to screw of the steelhead return in a few years

mko72

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:34 AM »

I pointed that out to some people the other night! Same place.  Light tackle rods, some split shot and a pinner float.  I'm pretty one their rods was orange.  Using worms for bait, keeping every little fish and tearing hooks out of their mouths. Not cool.  That being said, they sure look green with envy when you catch a big fish.

kid fisherman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:30:27 AM »

I was out on wednesday  and the same thing was going on. But it was nice to see the co's out and get two of them but the rest just find out and leave . On a sad note I was casting a spinner for coho's and had hooked some line that was in the water and when I pulled it out it had a 8" trout with One 4/0 hook in its side and 3 tied down to a 1 oz bell weight. It's sad to see people fishing like that and it's bs that has to stop . When I new the trout was dead I felt even more pissed because their are people  who are working so hard to bring the steelhead back and with idiots out screwing cupcakes up!

Old Blue

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »

Call RAPP next time right away please....it's your duty to protect our fishery.  1-877-952-7277 please put it in your contacts on your cell phone.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »

I was fishing the Cap this evening and all of a sudden, a group of 4 people show up, pull out their little trout rods and start fishing. Then another man and his wife show up. All 6 of them were using bait (worms, roe, single eggs, corn), stuffing little smolts, cutties and I think a dolly (it was already starting to get dark) into bags. Just throwing them in. They had barbed hooks and were ripping the fishes lips when removing the hook. I approached all of them and told them what the regs were and that they were not allowed to do what they were doing. They said "Ok sorry man, I didn't know, I'll change it right away." Not 5 minutes pass when I look behind me and hes putting another fish into a plastic bag, using bait and keeping every fish they catch. I folded up my fly rod and just sat down by the viewing platform and watched. They were fishing well past dark and probably fished well after I left as they where pulling out their chairs.
I don't get people that just can't read the regs before they go out and fish, I phoned it in but no one showed up. The few fish they did put back were thrown in, some hitting rocks on the way down. Wonder how many smolts they killed...
If i see that. Somebody is going in for a swim. >:(

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »

I pointed that out to some people the other night! Same place.  Light tackle rods, some split shot and a pinner float.  I'm pretty one their rods was orange.  Using worms for bait, keeping every little fish and tearing hooks out of their mouths. Not cool.  That being said, they sure look green with envy when you catch a big fish.

Yea the guy with his wife had an orange rod and that setup. But then the other 4 people came and started doing the same thing.

purplehelmet

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

I work in enforcement & "I didn't know" has become everyone's excuse.  When did personal accountability die?  When I fish the Cheak (year-round bait ban) & find worm containers, gas-station Roe wrappers...  This is not mentioning litter.  Obviously enforcement presence & public information are lacking.  I guess too many people just figure there's a body of water, I can fish it & keep what I catch.  I can only imagine what happens in remote areas.  It makes me sick.  

With the passion on this site, what sporties contibute to the economy, including non-residents who come here to fish, why is conservation such a low priority for governments?  
It's NOT good for the smoker!

jacked55

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »

2 words, "cut backs." the federal governement just laid off approximately 1000 officers this year. not managers or pencil pushers, managers. Very disappointing.

purplehelmet

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

I know, but they allocate lots of money to things that are not as important...
It's NOT good for the smoker!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »

I know, but they allocate lots of money to things that are not as important...
Harper will be using the fisheries money to set up a Pipeline payoff and defense fund.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »

In a place such as Capilano Regional Park I believe there could be additional enforcement.  Not just CO, DFO, or RCMP.

I think GVRD could use park rangers, bylaw officers etc.  They can write tickets for littering, dog poop/off leash, and smoking in a park.  Why not breaking the fishing rules as well?

Bandit420

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:30:08 PM »

bring a camera next time you go out. Video is better but pictures will do.  If reporting these poachers doesnt do anything then a good old public shaming will do. Thats the very reason I stopped goin by cable pool, makes my blood boil >:(. Even when there is dfo there and a guy fishing the rapids swinging his rod back every 5 seconds >:(
If you're not fishing, you're not living!