Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumb People on the River  (Read 14200 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Dumb People on the River
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »

Call RAPP next time right away please....it's your duty to protect our fishery.  1-877-952-7277 please put it in your contacts on your cell phone.

I agree its YOUR DUTY!! We need all the eyes we can get on these rivers just because of all these idiots. This day and age where we all have cell phones take photos, record what they are doing and get a licence plate number if you can as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mko72

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »

Call RAPP next time right away please....it's your duty to protect our fishery.  1-877-952-7277 please put it in your contacts on your cell phone.

Done.  Saved in phone.  I'd like meet some of you guys who care about this stuff.  I prefer not to confront cheaters solo, but if six guys walked up to them and said "You're breaking the rules" they might be more inclined to stop than if one person tells them to stop.

I may go tonight depending on how work goes.

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »

Observe, Record and Report (ORR)

Date, time and location (e.g.: nearest town, fishing location)
Identity or description of violators (e.g.: height, weight, hair colour)
Boat or vehicle description (e.g.: licence, colour, make)
Evidence at the scene
Action of violator(s)

Then call 911. This way it will be recorded.  It is an offence under the Wildlife Act.

At a minimum, if you have just witnessed a serious violation, call 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) or #7277 on the TELUS Mobility Network

And here is the online form  http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 05:31:51 PM »

Has any one ever tried to call the non-emergency RCMP in a case like this?
I think RCMP is way more likely to come out and they can also hand out tickets as far as I know.
In a case like this where a very delicate run is being butchered it might be worth a try.

Cheers,
Dan

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »

Call RAPP next time right away please....it's your duty to protect our fishery.  1-877-952-7277 please put it in your contacts on your cell phone.

why didn't you call RAPP? We all need to start reporting infractions, we all mostly carry phones with camera and or video capabilities.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:02:11 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

noobfisher

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »

I agree, call RAPP immediately.  Take some photos ... we should post photos of violators on here.  Shame these guys on a public forum, much like the rioters, shame them ... maybe they will think twice the next time they "don't know the rules".

mko72

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »

why didn't you call RAPP? We all need to start reporting infractions, we all mostly carry phones with camera and or video capabilities.

I was there tonight and there were SEVEN people using bait.  Mostly worms.  Two guys were using what I'm 99% certain was raw chicken.

I called RAPP and spoke with them on the phone for about six or seven minutes.  The guy said thanks for calling, they would try to send someone but it won't happen today, he said they usually have bigger fish to fry on busier rivers, they're spread way too thin right now and I'd have better luck calling the DFO (I am not kidding).  He finished by telling me I should feel free to confront the people violating the bait ban and tell them to stop.  

You know what I think would go a long way: a couple of big-my friend signs that say "No bait fishing Aug 1-Oct 31"  It's not perfect, but it will at least notify people that are literate and have two brain cells to rub together that they can't use bait right now.

PS - I caught no fish.   :-[

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »

A rig out of water catches no fish.

leyland

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »

RAPP is not the only number u can call.  DFO Fishery Officers have a number as well its 1-800-465-4336. They have the same powers as CO's. CALL AS SOON AS U KNOW THERE IS A VIOLATION!!!! There are less FO and CO offices around so it naturally takes longer to respond.  Enviro law enforcement officers are similar to the police in a sense that if nobody call then they don't know something is wrong or something is happening in real time. For whatever reason people have no problem calling in an assault to police but when it's poaching nobody wants to call.

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02:32 PM »

In my experience CO's are more concerned with game than fish. Most CO's are more hunters, not real fisherman, so thats where there interest/focus is on. Fisheries officers better choice

Oilcruzer

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 07:33:40 AM »

Don't give up because the staffing rate is thin!  NOW is the time to be more diligent, report every infraction.  

If the DFO sees a trend of thieves that they can't get to based on our numerous reports, then they have the ammunition to create the business case to hire more field enforcement.

Report EVERY infraction.  (there's an echo in here.)

speycaster

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »

Just carry an old throw away knife, toss it in the bushes behind them. Call 911 tell them that you were threatened with a knife when you went to tell them that they should not be using bait. Just make sure that you do not leave prints on the throw away. ;D Thrift shops have lots of old knives cheap. RCMP come fast to knife fights. ;D Police find knife and then look for anything that they can charge including fisheries offenses.

jacked55

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »

lol speycaster you are hilarious.
 :D
do you speak from experience on this subject?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »

Just carry an old throw away knife, toss it in the bushes behind them. Call 911 tell them that you were threatened with a knife when you went to tell them that they should not be using bait. Just make sure that you do not leave prints on the throw away. ;D Thrift shops have lots of old knives cheap. RCMP come fast to knife fights. ;D Police find knife and then look for anything that they can charge including fisheries offenses.

I know you are joking and hopefully no one takes you seriously.  ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

rickjames_2

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 03:50:32 PM »

Has any one ever tried to call the non-emergency RCMP in a case like this?
I think RCMP is way more likely to come out and they can also hand out tickets as far as I know.
In a case like this where a very delicate run is being butchered it might be worth a try.

Cheers,
Dan

Hey guys, Everyday has a good idea here. I work in a Provincial Park and we have to call RCMP Non-Emergency often for fights, boating infractions, drinking and driving, etc. They are always pretty quick to respond, even though we are out of town a bit. If time is a factor in catching/stopping the poachers this might be an effective option. Many more Police officers are available to respond to things than the couple of CO's or DFO officers we have cause they can't be everywhere. Maybe next time, if you haven't found success with RAPP, try Non-Emergency. If you are in Chilliwack the number Is 604-792-4611 and just ask for reports desk. They will dispatch someone and most often the officer will call the number you leave with them for further info on the situation.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.