Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing for flounder/sole  (Read 7158 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
fishing for flounder/sole
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:27:43 AM »

hello!
im going to attempt fishing for flounder/sole fish but have never done this before. Any suggestions on set up? i figure a spinning rod with a weight and some type of bait sitting of bottom? or would it be spincasting for them?

any advise is appreciated.
cheers!
Rhino.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: fishing for flounder/sole
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »

Just a fixed weight with a leader from either a three-way swivel or T-bar. ;) Prawn, shrimp, krill, worm, fish pieces will all work. Where are you going to go? ;)

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »

thanks Rod. Is a small gami hook good? should the leader be only about a foot? just set it on bottom until you feel a strike? or slowly bounce it of the bottom back to shore?
im going to furry creek. Ill be there all day saturday. join us if you want...ill let you borrow my son for some much needed practice while i fish! ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »

Any small hook will work fine. When we were kids we used sea worms with great success. As Rodney has stated practically anything will catch them. They're not fussy biters

Fillibert

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »

One thing though is that you might feel taps but not bites. If so give the fish lots of slack wait a few seconds and then rip. As I didn't know this I missed a lot of bites. Also since they sit on sandy bottoms and wait out their prey they like to sit on banks of dropo ffs or underwater isles and when stuff appears overhead they pounce. So if you can cast past any drop-offs and retrieve then you are guaranteed fish. I you are in a boat then let the current take you along a drop off and then troll back and repeat.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »

thanks for the tips guys. any tips on how to fly fish for them?flies to use and technique? i figure heavy flies with heavy sink tip and dangle of bottom with some twitching?

Troutmaster2000

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:14:53 AM »

Fly fished and hooked a cutthroat and a bunch of shiners on a little piece of squid and i have caught about 30 flounder this summer on shrimp dont use fish cuz you will get bullheads and lingcod

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »

When fishing for flounder, ling cod, or rock fish, my favourite bait is strips of squid or squid leg.
I use the frozen stuff sold at super markets and one squid will last for entire day trip for myself and my buddy.
Very durable and fish loves this stuff.

jimmywits

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »

Any small hook will work fine. When we were kids we used sea worms with great success. As Rodney has stated practically anything will catch them. They're not fussy biters
x2  We used to catch flounders off Dundarave pier when we were kids/early teens, and sea worms were the ticket. Just go to the beach during low tide and turn over rocks and you will be rewarded, but caution, they have a pincher at the head end. If you lay it down on a flat surface and apply pressure right on the end, the pincher will come out and you can cut it off and bait the hook or slide the hook right in where the pincher comes out and the worm will live longer to wriggle. Just use a hook and a sinker and let the sinker hit bottom and reel up a couple of turns so the worm is just off the bottom and believe me you will catch flounders. The only problem is you will also catch lots of bullheads.
Check your regs and have fun!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »

Fly fished and hooked a cutthroat and a bunch of shiners on a little piece of squid and i have caught about 30 flounder this summer on shrimp dont use fish cuz you will get bullheads and lingcod

You fly fished with a little piece of squid? Thats not fly fishing

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Speyhead

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »

Yep, Jimmywits is correct...those red Ragworm do have pincers and yep, they'll give ya a pretty good nip....... fish love em....great hookbait ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:00:57 PM by Speyhead »

mbowers

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 08:39:22 AM »

I found some Trigger X rubber shrimp with the special built in scent were working really well.  Set the hook a foot above the sinker, drop to the bottom and drift / light jig along.  Even more durable than squid and less smelly on the hands..

Small but tasty!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »

You fly fished with a little piece of squid? Thats not fly fishing

LOL,

Dude, your web site is down.

TimL

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »

A simple setup will do when targeting flatfish- just make sure the sinker gets to the bottom..you may have to adjust the weight depending on the tide/current. Seaworms gathered at low tide work best although I've also had success using pieces of shrimp or squid. Hook size: 1/0-4 although i've noticed that they can swallow fairly large hooks for their mouth size. For shorefishing, which is what I do nowadays, fish during an incoming tide on a sandy/muddy bottom..If you fish off a pier in deeper water, the type of rod used may not matter so much but if you are fishing off a beach, a good shore casting rod is essential to allow you to cast your bait far enough to where the fish are located. I find that casting out and slowly retrieving the bait (with regular pauses) works better than stillfishing- you can potentially cover alot of ground by doing so (flatfish are mostly sit-and-wait predators) and the slow erratic movement of the bait may better entice the fish to strike.
I've tried boat fishing for flounder/sole years ago and I've had success with both drift-fishing and jigging techniques. You can get a good catch if you can locate "hotspots" where the fish aggregate to feed.

islanddude

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »

My friend next door use to catch flounder and sole with a weighted spinner and garden worms. Go figure.