Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gloves for Winter Steelheading  (Read 14993 times)

spoiler

Re: Gloves for Winter Steelheading
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »

man up gloves are for sissys.
real steelheaders don't wear gloves!

azafai

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »

what about other clothes?  real steelheaders go naked.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »

man up gloves are for sissys.
real steelheaders don't wear gloves!
I'm guessing you're a young real steelheader?  If so, I was once like you and never wore them because I didn`t need them.  Different tune now ... cold and wet hurts big time, hence quality gloves. Or stay home which I normally do anyway, lol!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »

BNF861 - are your Simms gloves the new grey/black ones or the model before them which were green and more fleecy ? I have a pair of each and my newer ones are leaps and bounds better. they may get wet but keep my hands warm, when im changing spots on stick them on the heater vent by the windshield with heat on high and they will dry pretty fast, also if you ring them out they are almost dry. I have bad circulation to my hands and feet so im always on the pursuit for different gloves or socks to keep the heat in, so far i have both figured out pretty good. Thank you Simms  ;D

HOOK - tips for keeping your feet warm. buy wading boots that give you enough room to wiggle your toes while your wearing heavy socks. sock layering - go buy a pair of liner socks to wear under your big heavy socks, your feet may get cold while standing but a minute or so walking or a few out of the water and your feet will warm back up. I know guys that go all day without even getting cold feet while using the layering. Im envious because mine still get cold but it takes awhile, if i wear just my heavy socks they get cold way faster
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »

BNF861 - are your Simms gloves the new grey/black ones or the model before them which were green and more fleecy ? I have a pair of each and my newer ones are leaps and bounds better. they may get wet but keep my hands warm, when im changing spots on stick them on the heater vent by the windshield with heat on high and they will dry pretty fast, also if you ring them out they are almost dry. I have bad circulation to my hands and feet so im always on the pursuit for different gloves or socks to keep the heat in, so far i have both figured out pretty good. Thank you Simms  ;D

HOOK - tips for keeping your feet warm. buy wading boots that give you enough room to wiggle your toes while your wearing heavy socks. sock layering - go buy a pair of liner socks to wear under your big heavy socks, your feet may get cold while standing but a minute or so walking or a few out of the water and your feet will warm back up. I know guys that go all day without even getting cold feet while using the layering. Im envious because mine still get cold but it takes awhile, if i wear just my heavy socks they get cold way faster

In regards to the feet, I think most anglers dress too heavy. This creates perspiration and once you start sweating its down hill fast from there as the perspiration is easily cooled by the cold river water. I wear one pair of socks that are able to circulate air well and I've never had cold feet... Well except for that one time I fell in the river and got soaked  :-[
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

spoiler

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »

same age as you Dave!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 11:07:28 PM »

I carry two pairs of gloves ofr steelheading. The ones I wear 99% of the time are the Simms fold back gloves (forget the exact name). Theya re nice in that both the mitt for your fingers AND the thumbs fold back. Great for tying knots, adding bait etc.

I find these gloves are great if it's not TOO cold or TOO wet out.

If it's really cold and /or wet I wear a pair of fleece lined neoprene gloves I got at Wholesale Sports. Forget the name buy I got the ones withOUT the finger and thumb that flip back so they're 100% waterproof. They are a bit of work to get on and off so I if I use them I don't fish bait and instead go to spinners, etc.

I don't own a pair of wool gloves but would say they'd be good too as wool stays warm when wet.

mvelasco

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 01:38:13 AM »

as for gloves i use one on my right hand with the index finger and thumb cut out (neoprene). i have a pair of fleece gloves as back up.
the neoprene glove(s) do the job so im happy. and when it gets wet its no big deal.
as for layering(a bit off topic):
invested in the columbia omni heat base layer, a fleece top and a light hoody, warm as a ray of sunshine

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »

Johnny - the liner socks are designed to pull moisture away from your feet, my heavier Simms socks also do this of course. If i wear just the Simms socks my feet will get cold over time and they take alot longer to warm up, with the liner socks they warm up quickly. My feet only get cold when im standing in the river swinging flies, if im gear fishing im hardly ever in the water.

liner socks i have are from Wholesale sports and are the ones made with CoolMax. exactly they same as the Simms liner socks but less money. I only wear these during the winter months steelheading otherwise its just the Simms or even lighter socks

Save yourself the headache and buy quality stuff the first time, it will save you money over time and you will enjoy yourself more when your in the elements
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

coho killer

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »

Wool gloves, cut mitten flap off. They always seem to get in the way. Handwarmers in palm of hand.
It's kinda weird to get use to, but your fingers stay nice and warm. As mentioned before, make sure 
to remove gloves before handling fish.

Burkie

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »

Tried using them .. But can't be bothered .. For flyfishing anyways..I can see gear fishing as u don't have to strip in line and hold line or casting. Also everyone has their tolerance levels to the cold..I'm fine as long as my core is nice and warm. I just use my hand warmer on my waders .. Seems to work fine.