Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Northwest-Sees-Record-Returns  (Read 16773 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Northwest-Sees-Record-Returns
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:07:25 PM »

Those fish don't have to pass any feedlots on the way out to the ocean, do they?  
That is why lots of them are returning. ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »

Those fish don't have to pass any feedlots on the way out to the ocean, do they? 
You must know Washington State raises Atlantic salmon in net pens. What may not be known is what Columbia River sockeye juvenile migrants, and specifically the stocks mentioned, do when meeting the Pacific.  They have 3 choices … head south to probably warmer water, not a wise choice according to recent science; head due west to the open ocean; or head north to mingle with Fraser, Skeena, Nass, Alaskan, and Russian stocks in the N. Pacific and Bering Sea.  I don't pretend to know how they migrate or where they go but I would bet it's where other sockeye stocks mentioned above rear successfully. 
If that is indeed the case these stocks probably migrate past the same BC salmon farms Fraser stocks do.

Too bad there isn't more data on this but that's coming from David Welch and a host of big name scientists (sorry, Alexandra Morton was not asked to collaborate).  Big bucks have been promised to track seaward bound salmonids, including fish on routes past active salmon farms.
Would love to dig up the link for you but it's Saturday night … look on the Cohen site for the proposal and details.

Or google P.O.S.T.. Dr. David Welch

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »

Nice post dave.  Those are exciting and useful studies underway.  Money well spent.
Now if only Morton could get her hands on the results before everybody else.  She could really do something with it.  Its the one big advantage of her paying for her own tests and research.  Regardless of the content she can release to the public what ever version or interpretation she wishes.  Its highly effective for her cause.

What ever happened to the lab results from her last claim? 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »

Going Green Good for Pattison’s Pocket Book
Protesting the Protesters, June 29, 2012
A common protest against salmon farms is that they are owned by multinational corporations. It seems that to these protesters big industry = bad. But when a large industry matches your world view it is ok and it doesn’t matter how much money they make or how many nations they are involved in because they agree with your beliefs. Two examples of this: the “wild” Alaskan fishery (marketing coordinated by ASMI) and Jim Pattison Group (which owns companies across Canada and the US). I have talked at length about the billion dollar Alaskan industry but what is going on with Jim Pattison Group (JPG)? June 28, 2012: Overwaitea Food Group, which is owned by JPG,  achieved a “green” ranking in Greenpeace‘s seafood sustainability report by discontinuing “red-listed” items such as net-pen farmed salmon.

http://protestingtheprotesters.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/going-green-good-for-pattisons-pocket-book/
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »

Going Green Good for Pattison’s Pocket Book
Protesting the Protesters, June 29, 2012
A common protest against salmon farms is that they are owned by multinational corporations. It seems that to these protesters big industry = bad. But when a large industry matches your world view it is ok and it doesn’t matter how much money they make or how many nations they are involved in because they agree with your beliefs. Two examples of this: the “wild” Alaskan fishery (marketing coordinated by ASMI) and Jim Pattison Group (which owns companies across Canada and the US). I have talked at length about the billion dollar Alaskan industry but what is going on with Jim Pattison Group (JPG)? June 28, 2012: Overwaitea Food Group, which is owned by JPG,  achieved a “green” ranking in Greenpeace‘s seafood sustainability report by discontinuing “red-listed” items such as net-pen farmed salmon.

http://protestingtheprotesters.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/going-green-good-for-pattisons-pocket-book/

Nice hi-jack!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »

You must know Washington State raises Atlantic salmon in net pens. What may not be known is what Columbia River sockeye juvenile migrants, and specifically the stocks mentioned, do when meeting the Pacific.  They have 3 choices … head south to probably warmer water, not a wise choice according to recent science; head due west to the open ocean; or head north to mingle with Fraser, Skeena, Nass, Alaskan, and Russian stocks in the N. Pacific and Bering Sea.  I don't pretend to know how they migrate or where they go ......... 

Ending your analysis with a line like that, kinda ruined the credibility of your analysis Dave......   ;)

I think Chris and I are winning this one.  ;D  ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »

Too bad there isn't more data on this but that's coming from David Welch and a host of big name scientists (sorry, Alexandra Morton was not asked to collaborate).  Big bucks have been promised to track seaward bound salmonids, including fish on routes past active salmon farms.
Would love to dig up the link for you but it's Saturday night … look on the Cohen site for the proposal and details.

Or google P.O.S.T.. Dr. David Welch

Thanks for posting this Dave.  Now that these acoustic telemetry tags are becoming much smaller we can hopefully look at a larger size distribution.  However, it appears as though your post was not clearly understood by a particular member already.  I will attempt to assist at this point.

http://kintama.com/faqs/  (specifically read #2)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 06:48:48 AM »

Ya know, it doesn't matter how many times I read Larry, Curly and Moe's pro salmon farm RAH! RAH! posts, I still feel like I'm staring at the southbound emissions of a northbound unnuetered male bovine, sorta overcome with nausea. Do you boys get together for script parties?

AF - JUST THIS ONCE , I'm agreeing with you. Weird huh?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:50:57 AM by Novabonker »
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:21:46 AM »

I knew you'd come around to seeing things as they really are.......     ;D ;D

Maybe there's hope for the pro-feedlot boys as well.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »

I knew you'd come around to seeing things as they really are.......     ;D ;D

Maybe there's hope for the pro-feedlot boys as well.
Nope - They're way too busy polishing each others shoes to let facts get in the way. ;)
http://

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »

Nope - They're way too busy polishing each others shoes to let facts get in the way. ;)
We shoe shiners are looking forward to reading something intelligent, or anything meaningful, you can bring to this discussion :D
How about starting with your interpretation of "the facts"?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »

Ya know, it doesn't matter how many times I read Larry, Curly and Moe's pro salmon farm RAH! RAH! posts, I still feel like I'm staring at the southbound emissions of a northbound unnuetered male bovine, sorta overcome with nausea. Do you boys get together for script parties?

Actually the last post really had nothing to do with either being pro or anti salmon farming.  It was to clearly demonstrate that it has been difficult to track salmon in their ocean phase.  We know very little about the early marine life of Pacific salmonids.  There are many projects going on right now to help address this.  Knowing this, Dave was being honest in his response that he wasn’t going to pretend where they migrate; however, some people like to go out on a limb and presume they know everything already.  Then limb breaks and they start crying foul – the typical response of anti-fish farm critics.  Or worse, they follow Ms Morton off the edge of a cliff like a herd of buffalo.

David Welch works for Kintama and deals specifically with this sort of telemetry tracking.  I had the opportunity to listen to a presentation from him some time ago.  If you would have tried looking up David Welch, POST or Kintama by googling (like most good cyberscientists do already) you would have found this out.  Perhaps if you did a little more listening and less ranting about bovines you might learn something too.  Have a Happy Canada Day!