Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cap River Hike-in  (Read 10970 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Cap River Hike-in
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 06:05:45 AM »

That's my biggest fear is the swear police finding me to wash my mouth out with soap

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 08:36:44 AM »

Yarggggh!!!! Why you slothful louse of a man!  Hoy! Ye done had a bad trip to the Cap and now come runnin' to the internet with a pauper's cup out seeking how to get yer self some silver do ye?  Arrrrgggghhhh, be ye so daft that you missed the GIANT MAP OF THE RIVER posted by the hatchery?  Aye!  And the simple pamphlet with the same map in it on said placard?  The cap be a simple river, full of simple fish, and clearly fished by simple people.  Bah!  Are ye too blind to see the trail marked "COHO LOOP?"  Do ya think they may have called the trail that for a reason?  Nay! I no canna believe fishermen these days! Be ya just the kind of man who wants their silver handed to 'em?!   Don't be a swabber beak my boy!  Get the map that EVERYONE can get, go explore and try yer luck.  Ya-harhar-harrrrrr!!!!

But be keeping this in mind boy-o.  The Cap can rise a full fathom in less time than it takes to defrock a damsel in Tortuga!  Aye be cautious of the weather me hearty... A Warm day melts snow, floods the resevoir and spills the dam.  A rainy day, fills the resevoir and spills the dam.  The water be icy cold, even in the dog days of summer.  Aye, if ye fall in ye'll be done for quickly!  None of them Silvers is worth your life!

Aye Salmon Pirate.  Your best one yet!

mko72

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »

You can shout profanities and not have to share your snacks with your buddies because they forgot to bring their own.....as usual.  Come on, we all have a friend like that.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »

Hi there mko72, as other's have already said be very careful where you go and always use a 3 touch climbing and descending method
at all times. Meaning 1 hand holding,  2 feet solid, one hand reaching. Or 2 hands holding, 1 foot solid and the other moving. Be slow and cautious, not quick and careless. This river is beautiful but to enjoy it you have to get there safely, no fish is worth ending up a paraplegic and in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

On a more upbeat note I had major knee surgery a year ago and although my movements are slow and clunky, following what I've written above has brought me to some of the more dangerous parts of this river's canyon many, many times in the last few months.
I also could tell you where my preferred spots are but it would be a fool's folly because everybody and their dog would be there before I logged off my computer.

No, the best advice I can give you is, play safe and hike with your head, not your feet. Just because you find that sweet spot it still doesn't ensure you'll catch any fish, to that I can surely attest too. Do by all means get out there, all of you !!! What you'll find is truly worth the long hike,  the next day's soreness and the boredom that goes with long stretches with no fish. Enjoy this planet's beauty, take some long deep breathes and be patient and happy and when you do get a bite and a fish, it's a bonus.

Have a Great weekend Everyone. Good Fishing All !!!

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:01 PM »

As many others have said be very careful when venturing into the canyon, more than one fisherman has lost his life being careless on that river`, i don't hike the river as much as i used to as a teenager.. something to do with my 2 pack a day habit is suppose :-[ i now fish the cable or dog leg.. don't care if its crowded... i will sit and wait for hours if need be to get a spot so i can roll cast to a few silver beauties.. although it does get me sometimes.. last year i avoided a few near fist fights at cable... most were from snaggers and people crossing my line.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »

Forget about hiking in; kayak in ;)
A rig out of water catches no fish.

joshhowat

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »

Hey Zander  what type of fish is that in your signature?
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

SS Fintastic

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »

I'd stick with cable pool if I were you

kalex60

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »

not worth hiking down into the canyon to dagerous for 3 lb coho

Bandit420

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »

I fished the cap on tuesday with a buddy with no previous luck. It was my third time fishing this river and decided to go venture out on a trail. Walked for about 15-20 minutes enjoying the gorgeuos rainforrest that is the capilano. Got to a point where I listened to the river amd found a trail leading down. And there it was, the honey hole, at least it was to me. The trail leading down was not too bad and we took it slowly and surely. I would recommend felt soles at the cap due to the l
Slippery rocks. No one was in sight. So I looked at this beautiful pool for a while and knew there were nickelback chromers in there. And right as I said that too my bud, blueback surfaced coming out of the tailout. My buddy chucked a spoon in and bang coho smashed it, he lost it but had another one on 3rd cast. I got my float rod in desperation and chucked out some prime steelie roe and wr left with 2 gorgeous coho. Point of this is to get out there and discover your own spots and if you get fish out of it its a bonus and more rewarding then u can imagine. The cap is one gorgeous river but needs to be respected and taken with the utmost care. Good luck out there and create your own vacation
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

kalex60

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 10:26:38 PM »

the fish are small in the cap and for the danger if it it is hard to justify

Bandit420

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »

Where else can you catch coho in june? Not many places. You need to venture out more because the pool that I stumbled upon is quite easily accessable. Only you can justify what is accessable and what you are able to do so stop trying to persuade ppl into not fishing this river. No fish is worth dying for and my friend could tell you that personally, he fell in the cap up at cable pool and almost died but thanks to an alert fisherman dowmstream, he sacrificed his rod to save a life
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »

I tend to stay away from the top at this time of year, not worth it. It's nice to see more steelhead in the river this year, and all the signs they put up. The coho are comming through well now, but if you don't fish in the morning, you will have to work for your fish. There is a lot of people, so finding good spots with little pressure is hard, but not impossible.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »

Yes they are small but I've eaten rib eye steaks that didn't come close to the wonderful taste of the Cap Coho. Also I don't justify my outing by the size of a fish but by the experience of the trip. Meat fisher's shouldn't fish the Capilano, they should wait until August when the Sockeye open and they can floss away to their hearts content.

Stay happy, stay hearty but most of all stay safe. Take your time and be aware of your surroundings and be sure of your hand and foot placement when climbing in the canyon's. It only takes One mistake and your day can change from fabulous to fateful.

Good Fishing All !!!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »

stop trying to persuade ppl into not fishing this river.

Stop trying to persuage ppl into fishing this river!!:

There is a lot of people, so finding good spots with little pressure is hard.

;D ;D

if you don't fish in the morning

I read that around high tide is good, and in the evening; I guess morning is best?
A rig out of water catches no fish.