Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano and Seymour Steelhead Awareness  (Read 5704 times)

anorden

Re: Capilano and Seymour Steelhead Awareness
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 11:54:20 PM »

I was fishing cap today, caught a nice summer run and then released it. One guy asked me if I needed to borrow his 'fish bonker', and another guy went nuts when I released it. "WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR! I WOULDA KEPT IT IF YOU WERENT GOING TO!" "Dude, its a steelhead... non retainable."

C'mon people, if you dont know the regulations, what the hell are you doing on the river?

Ever considered that, given the time of the year, they might have ASSUMED it was a coho without having bothered to properly ID it from a distance???  Maybe I fish the wrong rivers but a lot of what I hear on the river I take as INNOCENT BANTER rather than fact. People often make jokes without having fully thought out the facts or consequences. And besides, I personally spend a lot more time looking at my float than trying to ID a fish from 50 metres that someone else has caught.

I dare say they would have been a lot more careful about IDing it if it was their own fish they were about to bonk. Perhaps you should give these people the benefit of the doubt before mouthing off at them (anonymously, on the internet..... how brave)