Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cap River Hike-in  (Read 11047 times)

mko72

Cap River Hike-in
« on: June 05, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »

The rocks/canyons in the cap river can get pretty slippery and hazardous. I'm wondering if there are spots worth hiking to that are south of Capilano dam/cable pool area. 

I don't mind hiking in a good distance if there is a decent spot to fish from, but have had no luck in finding trails that travel south.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Cap River Hike-in
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »

The rocks/canyons in the cap river can get pretty slippery and hazardous. I'm wondering if there are spots worth hiking to that are south of Capilano dam/cable pool area. 

I don't mind hiking in a good distance if there is a decent spot to fish from, but have had no luck in finding trails that travel south.

Really, because there are lots that lead south.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/Capilanomap.pdf
Not all those who wander are lost

Nitroholic

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »

only place is cable pool

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »

Don't bother.  It is stupid how verticle these trails are.  There are plenty of good spots just below the hatchery like cable pool, and just below, you can be there in minutes, and the fish funnel through.  I heard of a guy and his dog slipping down what looked like a good trail and  both of them to pretty messed up.  All for a 3 lb fish.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »

Sorry...you're right...I forgot.  There are no trails leading south, no good hike in spots, all too dangerous...forget about it.  My bad.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »

I saw a old man went down to S. hole with the help of his few hundred yards of rope. ::)

mko72

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »

Really, because there are lots that lead south.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/Capilanomap.pdf

This is exactly what I meant, something south of pipeline bridge but before the highway. 

Again, just curious.  I hike and I bike so I don't mind trekking to a fishing spot if it's worth the trek.  But, obviously not worth it, if it isn't safe. 

The cable pool can be crowded so again, if there's something worth the trek, if it would be great.  If not, it's not the end of the world.

Old Blue

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »

There's spots but pretty tough to get to unless you're sure footed and in good shape as they're rough vertical access.  Don't bother going solo unless you're stupid and looking to get into trouble.  You could always hit the pool under the highway 1 bridge and work your way down.

firebird

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:20:46 PM »

I was raised on the North Shore and spent over 20 years climbing up and down the canyons looking for steelhead and coho. I've been in places I had no business being and had several close calls. I consider myself very lucky to have enjoyed canyon fishing to the max. but also consider myself lucky to still be here. I'm too old now to do much more than follow the well-beaten paths and shudder at the thoughts of my sons attempting to do what I used to. My best advice is that if you ever feel any doubt about your abilities as you attempt to access a new area, turn back. Also, continue to use utmost caution at all times for routes that you use frequently. Most of the close calls that I had were on routes I had used many times before. I had not noticed subtle changes or lost my focus briefly but thankfully, my slips and falls never resulted in anything worse than a twisted ankle and some scrapes.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 07:46:25 AM »

If you have the will (legally written up and notarized) then there is a way to enjoy the river. Also look for well worn side paths off the trails going south. You might end up finding some spots that while steep to hike back out of are not that dangerous. But if you have a problem tripping over stuff all the time probably not a good idea.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »

Without be outright blunt about it, and causing a response like the last. The river is just over 3 KM long, with a walking jogging trail on both sides. Each trail is marked, ("coho" "chinook" etc..) Both trails will end up at the hatchery while one continues down the west vancouver side of the river all the way to keith road, the other terminates just before the suspension bridge and all the condos. From those trails there are countless side trails leading down to the river, some spots are worth fishing, others are more of a scenic location. I know it really sucks to be stumbling around in a rainforest during a torrential down pour trying to find some goat trail down to the river. But un fortunately, that's about the only solution to your question. There are maps some outdated maps that give you a general idea of where the runs are, but they lack the trails to get to them. Enjoy your fishing...
Fish killer 101

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 09:00:42 PM »

I saw a old man went down to S. hole with the help of his few hundred yards of rope. ::)
Was it Rudy? ::)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »

Drewhill

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 11:11:49 PM »

If anyone did post any spots that were decent and good for fishing within a day or two they would be packed with people and not worth fishing anymore. Bring a cell and some safety gear with you and go for a hike. It's pretty sweet finding a spot with nobody around. After you land a fish you can shout out profanities and there's nobody around to stop you.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 04:54:50 AM »

If anyone did post any spots that were decent and good for fishing within a day or two they would be packed with people and not worth fishing anymore. Bring a cell and some safety gear with you and go for a hike. It's pretty sweet finding a spot with nobody around. After you land a fish you can shout out profanities and there's nobody around to stop you.
Shout out profanities? ???