Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your opinion regarding Enbridge's Northern Gateway Pipeline Project?

I agree with the proposal, the benefits outweigh the risks.
- 3 (5.9%)
I disagree with the proposal, the risks are too great.
- 44 (86.3%)
Undecided / don't have enough information to form an opinion
- 4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Enbridge Northern Gateway Project (the Enbridge thread)  (Read 11800 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Enbridge Northern Gateway Project (the Enbridge thread)
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:40 PM »

Hi all,

I noticed a general lack of posts regarding the proposed Northern Gateway project on the forum, and am curious as to why. It seems as though folks are more concerned with catching fish now than whether there will be any to catch in the future - except for those who are up to speed on some threats to our fisheries - like fish farms, nutrient enrichment, and now the recent alleged snakehead spotting in burnaby.

And so I asked myself: Why is this? Maybe people don't realize just how serious a threat this is to the fisheries resource we all so dearly love. I am just curious as to what others thoughts are on this matter, keeping in mind that, should the project go ahead, any/all of your local stream's fish stocks could be wiped out entirely.

In any case - this might also be a good time to mention that if there are any of you out there wondering what you can do to ensure your voice is heard, you can send in a letter of comment to the review panel - the deadline has been extended to August 31, 2012. The addresses can be found here: http://gatewaypanel.review-examen.gc.ca/clf-nsi/prtcptngprcss/lttrfcmmnt-eng.html

If you don't have the time to write one of your own, email me and I'll send you a copy of mine.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Re: Enbridge Northern Gateway Project (the Enbridge thread)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »

OK,  I am very surprised there is not one response to this topic after being posted for 23 hours.  It is sad that the government can just plow through with their plans even though many of us have been telling them this is unacceptable. 
The watersheds are precious, when there is a spill.  The coast will be destroyed. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »

OK,  I am very surprised there is not one response to this topic after being posted for 23 hours.  It is sad that the government can just plow through with their plans even though many of us have been telling them this is unacceptable.  
The watersheds are precious, when there is a spill.  The coast will be destroyed.  

I know man, it doesn't cease to boggle my mind. But the fact that no one has replied to my post is testament to your very post... do you wonder why the government can just plow through with your plans? Well... it's because people don't care enough, or are too lazy to go out of their way to try and stop them!

Too often do people abandon the intention before even trying to do something because "someone else will do it" or "I don't have time". But the truth of the matter is, right now is the time. Because the project is in its infancy and has not been approved yet there is a far better chance to stop Enbridge dead in their tracks now, opposed to after it gets approved (lets pray it does not). Once its approved, its a done deal. At that point it won't even be worth going to jail over for monkey wrenching or tying oneself to trees etc., because the damage will only be a matter of time between construction and the date of the first spill. If we can convince the higher ups to abandon the project, we will guarantee fish in our rivers for years to come. People need to believe in themselves, unite and stand up for what they believe in and cherish... because once it's gone, we will all be asking ourselves "why didn't I do something?"

On that note - we cannot responsibly defer the responsibility to "do something" to our children or the next generation anymore - the threat is significant, current, and approaching sooner than I'm comfortable with. We need to unite, write letters to our MP's and spread awareness among our families and friends as to what this project means to them and us. Everyday I hear the old timers on the rivers say "its not like it used to be". I for one do not want to repeat the same line to my children, nor do I want to explain why my generation sat around and watched while Enbridge built a pipeline directly through the gills of our province.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:35:02 PM by silver ghost »

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »

More people are worried about Snakeheads in Burnaby Lake?  Brutal. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:35:54 PM »

It's a sad state of affairs that people don't realize when there being led down the road. Often realizing only when it's too late. Worse yet is that peoples IQ is dropping every year. So the future is looking really dumb and sad. Don't let it stop you from being pro active though. Traditionally only less than one percent of people will stick there neck out to help when it really counts. The rest try to behave like a school of fish. Hoping to survive in the crowd that surrounds them.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:37:32 PM »

It's a sad state of affairs that people don't realize when there being led down the road. Often realizing only when it's too late. Worse yet is that peoples IQ is dropping every year. So the future is looking really dumb and sad. Don't let it stop you from being pro active though. Traditionally only less than one percent of people will stick there neck out to help when it really counts. The rest try to behave like a school of fish. Hoping to survive in the crowd that surrounds them.

Well said.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »

It shocks me as well.  BC stands to lose so much.  I think this topic should remain on the main page.  I mailed my letters to the joint review panel last week.  There are very good instructions on how to do this on the SSBC website.  While you may be displeased with the possibility of a pipeline that carries oil belonging to foreign corporations that run the oilsands to Chinese tankers, you must voice your opinion to the right people for your opinion to actually matter.

BC has very little to gain from this project, on the other hand, we bear all the risk.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »

It would be nice to see this moved back to the main page, as I'm sure more people view "General Discussion" than they do the "Fisheries issues..." one.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »

not the first time its been brought up. some more info

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=29142.0

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »

I like the part where they said they reported it........

Enbridge station spills heavy crude
  Canadian PressJune 20, 2012
  There's been another oil spill in Alberta, this time northeast of Edmonton.

The Energy Resources Conservation Board says the leak of heavy crude oil happened Monday at a pumping station on Enbridge Inc.'s Athabasca pipeline about 24 kilometres south-east of Elk Point.

Enbridge estimates about 230,000 litres has leaked, but the ERCB's Darin Barter said Tuesday that amount hasn't been confirmed.

"It's a significant-size spill," said Barter. "Any amount of crude oil out of a pipeline is significant to us. Obviously we've had a number of pipeline incidents in the past short while and we're monitoring cleanup on them and we have a number of investigations underway."

Barter said the pumping station - a 12-year-old facility that is in the middle of a field - has been isolated. He also said the oil has not spilled into any waterways, nor were there any evacuations or injuries due to the leak.

"There's absolutely no waterways, there's no water, there's no standing water, it's on dry land," he said. "The company is actually on the scene and they're cleaning up the spill now. We"ll remain there for as long as we need to be until our comfort is achieved in cleanup operations."

Enbridge said in a news release that the cause of the leak appears to be a failure of a flange gasket. It said as soon as it detected the leak, it notified civic authorities and other regulatory agencies.

But Steve Upham, reeve of the County of St. Paul, where the pumping station is located, said as of Tues-day night he hadn't received any notification.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »

that new enbridge commercial makes me sick everytime I see it !!!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »

Take the T out of Morton.