Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline Project, Information on the project and publi  (Read 10892 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Because of a lack of time to type up my own words, I've copied and pasted ralfish's posts from flybc so this information is available for as many anglers as possible.

The Steelhead Society of BC has prepared a brief with some basic project information and listed some concerns regarding SSBC values.

SSBC hopes that people will voice their concerns regarding this project by writing letters. To help with that there is also a sample letter that can be paraphrased or simply copied and sent to the Review Panel using the link in the brief.

The deadline for public comment is March 13 2012.

There has been some stories in the Media as of late with Prime Minister Harper suggesting environmental groups are being financed by American interests to hijack the hearing process.

As Vice President of SSBC I can say we certainly haven't received a dime from any group other than through our grass roots fund raising campaigns that have been supported by people like yourselves.

Every single one of the directors of SSBC whether they are from the Northern branch, Comox branch or the parent body, volunteers their time to various initiatives in an effort to participate in what could be called active grass roots democracy. No, it's not a neat and tidy process, if not passionate its democratic. Frankly, its too bad that Harper and his Big Business friends seem to have a problem with that. We don't have the $100 million war chest that Enbridge has just for moving this proposal forward.

This pipeline will run through some very unstable geographic areas, and cross some of if not the most productive wild summer run steelhead producing watersheds in the world. Please consider the importance of these watersheds and what is at stake here. Technology can change the way we fuel our cars etc, but so far as evidenced in the experience of Enbridge, the best technology in the oil industry can not prevent pipeline or other related oil transportation spills. This is too precious to sit and watch happen without at the very least voicing a concern. Thanks

SSBC Brief

If you submit a letter, no matter the medium, you must copy Enbridge and their lawyers for it to be accepted in the Public Registry. Details here.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Oops another paster on board.  ;D ;D ;D Another thread like the fish farm issue, look for posting from .......................... ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:48:32 PM by chris gadsden »

Matt

• Old Timer

I think it deserves also mention that once the diluted bitumen reaches Kitimat, it needs to be transported by super tanker through Hecate Straight.  Hecate Straight is in itself a diverse ecosystem, furthermore its known for extreme weather conditions.  I see this presenting two significant problems: first, this greatly increases the risk of running aground secondly, should the unthinkable happen, the cleanup effort will problematic and the diluted bitumen has the potential to widely and rapidly be spread by the weather conditions.

nosey

In Enbridges defense they have had over 1000 oil pipeline spills in the last decade with their existing systems so if anyone knows how to cleanup and coverup spilled oil, it should be them ;) .

Matt

• Old Timer

In Enbridges defense they have had over 1000 oil pipeline spills in the last decade with their existing systems so if anyone knows how to cleanup and coverup spilled oil, it should be them ;) .

You present a very valid point.  Furthermore, think of the cleanup jobs that would be created should the pipeline leak or a tanker hit a rock in Hecate Straight.

Sandy

• Old Timer

Oops another paster on board.  ;D ;D ;D Another thread like the fish farm issue, look for posting from .......................... ;D

would you be refering to me preaching again?  :D
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sandy

• Old Timer

wow , don't want them learning any more, especialy here in BC!

this sunken bitumen stuff is especialy hard to work with: If they still can not figure it out at near surface in a river: What would happen if it found it's way into the deeper Aquafirs? does it sink to the bottom or does pressure within disperse it throughout the system.

I'm told that the plan is to pump to Kittamat in one line the bituemen, and use another to pump back to Alberta the waste products. What I was just told is that there is also a proposal to run NG in an other line on the same tract. Has anyone got conformation on that?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:41:17 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

would you be refering to me preaching again?  :D
No, not at all, I like your preaching. ;D ;D

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

Alberta will get all the benefits of this project while we are left with all the risk. i encourage people to sign this petition. let them know that this is unacceptable.

http://dogwoodinitiative.org/no-tankers/petition

VAGAbond

• Old Timer

Alberta will get all the benefits of this project while we are left with all the risk.

This pipeline will probably be built in the end because of the powerful friends of the proponents, PM etc.  I wonder if it is possible for BC to impose a transit tax on the pipeline, high enough so that BC gets a significant part of the 'profit'.   This tax would probably be deductible from their income tax so it has to be high enough so that the net remaining with our government is significant.   Say $10,000,000/mile/year?

Add another $5,000,000/tanker 'landing fee'.

If you want an update on the Alaska Exxon Valdez spill and the mismanagement that made containing the spill impossible, read The Vultures' Picnic by Greg Palast.    http://www.gregpalast.com/vulturespicnic/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:58:14 PM by VAGAbond »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

I know it will probably be built, just a shame that all anyone cares about is proheits. i guess i am a radical since i care about what happens in bc according to the harper gov.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

As very short but very funny spoof re Enbridge and the Harper government

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZf5fC9v2qE&feature=youtu.be

Dennis.t

• Old Timer

wow , don't want them learning any more, especialy here in BC!

this sunken bitumen stuff is especialy hard to work with: If they still can not figure it out at near surface in a river: What would happen if it found it's way into the deeper Aquafirs? does it sink to the bottom or does pressure within disperse it throughout the system.

I'm told that the plan is to pump to Kittamat in one line the bituemen, and use another to pump back to Alberta the waste products. What I was just told is that there is also a proposal to run NG in an other line on the same tract. Has anyone got conformation on that?
The return line will pump Diluent not waste,which is used to thin the raw Bitumen so it can flow down the supply line. Installed a 4 in Diluent line in the Shell Scottsford plant  that ran up to Fort Mac so Shell could send thier mined bitumen down to thier Edmonton Upgrader to be refined. IMO, when you build pipelines to ship raw Bitumen to other countries,your also shipping our jobs out as well. Our resource should be refined in our country,not somewhere else.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:07:42 PM by Dennis.t »