Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline Project, Information on the project and publi  (Read 10958 times)

fishermanphil

• I'm a llama!

The pipelines (Keystone + Northern Gateway) are part of the infastructure that are needed to do trade with the international communities. What happens after the party(building of these projects). Boom and bust for the communities on the path of these lines.(Google building of the Alaska oil pipeline). And what is left--- Very few good paying jobs (my understanding is 5 full time positions per pumping station) some inspection personal and what ever is needed at the terminal (northern gateway). What is needed is secondary upgraders keeping the jobs here in Canada and shipping finished product to the international markets. Easier to clean up. (Remember when we started sending our logs outside of the country to be processed. Thousands of jobs where lost and the government said at least we have some loggers still working. How about the decades we where the hewers of this wood and made a good honest living at it. Sorry different rant.) We will also be able to control pollution in the refining process to our standards as we have seen the lack of standards of some countries.(Been to Shanghia lately?? and which way does that wind blow) As for Kitimat, it will be a major port with liquified natural gas being shipped and the alumium with the expanded smelter and all the oil tanker traffic. With all that shipping activity it is when--- not if a major disaster will happen. (BC ferry sinks, Cruise ship goes down, Ferry hits dock making it unusable, Exxon Valdez etc. and these with the lastest technology). These projects will be built but to what benifit to Canadians. What we have to do is take half of the proceeds of these products for the Canadian people as royalties and not under the present system where the companies pay down thier costs and then pay out royalties. This money can then be used for health care , education or lowering the price of our fuels.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

January 24, 2012 11:51 ET
Whistleblower Claims Prime Minister's Office Tried to Silence Enbridge Gateway Pipeline Critic

Affidavit claims Prime Minister's Office labelled environmental group an "Enemy of the Government of Canada" and an, "Enemy of the People of Canada".

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - Jan. 24, 2012) - The Prime Minister's Office tried to cut funding of a registered intervenor in the Enbridge Pipeline Review, calling ForestEthics Canada an, "Enemy of the Government of Canada" and an, "Enemy of the People of Canada", according to allegations detailed in a sworn affidavit, dated January 23, 2012.

Sworn by Andrew Frank, former Senior Communications Manager with ForestEthics Canada, and an instructor in the Environmental Protection Technology program at Kwantlen Polytechnic University, the affidavit cites three senior managers with Tides Canada and ForestEthics, as well as personal email correspondence.

"Today, I am taking the extraordinary step of risking my career, my reputation and my personal friendships, to act as a whistleblower and expose the undemocratic and potentially illegal pressure the Harper government has apparently applied to silence critics of the Enbridge Northern Gateway oil tanker/pipeline plan," says Frank.

The affidavit alleges the Prime Minister's Office has made an attempt to influence the charitable funding of ForestEthics Canada, a registered intervenor in the National Energy Board's federal review process for the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline.

According to the affidavit, the Prime Minister's Office has informed Tides Canada CEO, Ross McMillan, that it considers ForestEthics to be an "Enemy of the Government of Canada", and an "Enemy of the people of Canada", and that unless Tides Canada alters its charitable support of ForestEthics, there will be consequences.

"Canadian citizens will be shocked to learn that their own government is labelling critics of the Enbridge oil tanker/pipeline project, 'Enemies of the Government of Canada'," says Mr. Frank. "When a government starts labelling its own citizens 'enemies', it has lost its moral authority to govern."

Frank adds, "If the Prime Minister's Office is working behind the scenes to silence voices of opposition and legitimate criticism, how can Canadians have any confidence in this review process? Canadians should be deeply concerned about this information, and I invite those named in my affidavit to sign sworn affidavits attesting to whether or not this is the truth."

Mr. Frank has also written an open letter to the citizens of Canada free for reprint by media:

Sandy

• Old Timer

Yep, Harper's and the PMO have declared war on all environmentalists Big E or small e. I'm thinking we have ended up with a Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld wannabee/ Thatcherite clone running this country. Never thought I would see the day. In the end up, the only winners in this deal will be foreign owned oil companies.  >:(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:16:58 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Bassonator

• Old Timer

I feel this is a for more important issue than the fishfarms, the damage that could, no let me rephrase that will happen is far more serious to not only our salmon stocks, Steelhead stocks and the enviroment as a whole.
As you know Enbridge is known as the company of a thousand leaks. Is supplying asian markets more important than our own enviroment, I think not.
Take the T out of Morton.

Sandy

• Old Timer

sort of along the same lines and running concurrent with this thread.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=29376.msg280858

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

silver ghost

• Old Timer

I feel this is a for more important issue than the fishfarms, the damage that could, no let me rephrase that will happen is far more serious to not only our salmon stocks, Steelhead stocks and the enviroment as a whole.
As you know Enbridge is known as the company of a thousand leaks. Is supplying asian markets more important than our own enviroment, I think not.

Agreed. It is also a possibility that we ignore our differences and have the fish farm owners come on board with us, for after all we arte sharing some of the same waters - a spill could cost fish farms a lot of money if their harvest is spoiled and their infrastructure covered in oil.... I know this has implications but it's definitely food for thought.

I think this is similar to what Chris posted above, but it worries me http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/06/corporate-heavy-hitters-team-up-with-harper-in-china

"CEOs and other senior executives from Shell, Air Canada, Bombardier, Scotiabank, Enbridge, Western University, Cenovus and dozens of other Canadian companies, trade groups and other organizations are with Harper in China hoping to press for increased access to the Chinese market."

Hmm...why would Enbridge be attending...  :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

RAFE HERE … below is my blog for the Common Sense Canadian (www,thewcanadian,org,)

And he says modestly, a reminder that my latest book, The Home Stretch is available both at amazon.com and kobo.com at a miserly $9.99

And do please pass this on!

This from the CBC:

Canadian oil and business executives are well-represented in the delegation travelling to China with Prime Minister Stephen Harper, with oil exports expected to be high on the government's agenda.

A delegation assigned to Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver includes eight mining or oil and gas companies.

That list of companies includes none other than Enbridge, Inc.

The prime minister and his government are asking for a show down and my experience this past weekend in Prince Rupert ( http://www.vancouverobserver.com/sustainability/2012/02/05/two-thousand-protest-enbridge-oilsands-pipeline-prince-rupert )indicates that the Enbridge deal, about which more in a moment, is going to spawn a First Nations and supporters v. industry and government fight compared to which all other showdowns will seem like minor incidents.

First, let’s look at the Enbridge deal from the point of view of First Nations both in their territory over which the pipeline travels and those on the coast where the consequent tanker traffic will go.

Enbridge, one of the largest pipeline companies in the world, has an utterly appalling safety record. In fact since 1998 they have had 811 “accidents”. They now tell us that with that record, mostly in easy geographical situations, they can take on the hugely difficult route to Kitimat “accident free" (or that they have a "plan" to deal adequately with spills if they occur).

The pipeline they propose, and Harper and Co. support, is about 1100km from the Alberta Tar Sands to Kitimat over and through both The Rockies, The Coast Range and over 1000 rivers and streams, including critical sources of three major salmon runs. To put this in perspective, in July of 2010 Enbridge had an “accident” which spilled over a million gallons of crude oil near the Kalamazoo River which is near Marshall in Michigan, a populated area.

Two notes from that: the cleanup continues and most observers say it will never be completed and this spill is, unlike the Rockies/Coast Range, easy to access with machinery. And another note: the spill was crude oil, which is bad enough, while the Enbridge pipeline would carry bitumen going west and condensate (the stuff they mix with bitumen) east – bitumen is far more viscous than crude oil.

The last points are very important for that there will be a spill from the Enbridge Northern Gateway line is not a risk but a mathematical certainty, and will happen in places only accessible by helicopter and the damage will be permanent no matter the company does.

We have then 1100 km of venomous gunk of which there will be spills in wild areas inaccessible except by helicopter, which spills threaten precious wildlife and fish, which spills will be there forever. And let’s be clear on this – these spills will happen again and again.

Mr. Harper and his government, dirty hand in dirty hand with Enbridge and the Chinese giant Sinopec, are bound and determined to impose this on the people of British Columbia.

What of our fellow citizens, First Nations? They come into this awful business in two ways – those whose lands have not been ceded and those who live, as they have for centuries on the coast. At this point there are 131 nations absolutely opposed to Enbridge stepping one millimeter into BC.

Enbridge and the two governments are convinced that these First Nations can and will be bought off. And this point must be considered.

Damien Gillis and I were at the huge First Nations rally in Prince Rupert this past weekend and we can both say with confidence that this will not happen - certainly not amongst those represented there. We were both at the historic Save the Fraser Declaration" press conference last December and saw the resolve in the faces of these leaders.

I saw the resolve when I spoke to 500 on Saturday night as I received a hearty standing ovation. I spoke with them afterwards and I can tell Mr. Harper and his resident toady, Resources Minister Joe Oliver, that they have badly and dangerously misread the situation.

The coastal nations know that they must help their eastern brethren in order to help themselves. In the words of spokesman and much admired Gerald Amos of the Haisla Nation,“It isn’t going to happen.”

What’s the matter with our governments? Don’t they understand that there is no way you can settle or compromise this issue? You can’t have half a pipeline or smaller boats!

Premier Christy Clark is a big player in this game because she can put a ban on tankers. The fact is that Gordon Campbell sent a note to Ottawa some years ago saying that his government had no issue with tanker traffic and Premier Photo-Op no doubt thinks that takes her government off the hook. Think again, lady.

Prophets of doom are often, like all messengers, blamed when their prophecies come to pass. I’ll run that risk and tell you fairly that I don’t believe that First Nations can be bribed and that the governments and Enbridge are begging for them and thousands of supporters, growing every day, to resort to violence.

People all around this province, aboriginal and non-aboriginal, are sending the governments, China and Enbridge a very solemn message: Don’t do it.

For in your words, Mr Harper, “there will be consequences.”

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:13:47 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Sandy

• Old Timer

just in case this has slipped your minds, Deadline approaching ..... fast.

also will post a link from the pulp and paperworkers union study on the actual  jobs this is going to cost us, not potentialy, but will.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Some interesting views here. Fish farming mentioned too. ;D ;D

http://www.jlsreport.com/?p=3500