Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing for Answers: Salmon Facts & Fiction  (Read 27043 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing for Answers: Salmon Facts & Fiction
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/544/isa-beneath-the-surface-of-chiles-troubled-waters

"In the once-pristine waters of the Magellanese straits another outbreak of Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) has been confirmed. Locals hoped that this day would never come, but more than 100 Chilean fish farms have now been affected by this virus since the first outbreak in 2007. As the disease takes hold of one area the industry flees to another and often, the disease goes along too.

The situation is fast growing out of control. ISA is a contagious viral disease that kills up to two per cent of all Chilean farmed salmon. It is so contagious that often the whole farm population must be eradicated."

A man made cesspool of disease.....  but according to some folks (who obviously have blinders on): "Don't worry about it in BC, it's not the European strain....."

::)  ::)  ::)

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 07:57:49 AM »

"In the once-pristine waters of the Magellanese straits another outbreak of Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) has been confirmed. Locals hoped that this day would never come, but more than 100 Chilean fish farms have now been affected by this virus since the first outbreak in 2007. As the disease takes hold of one area the industry flees to another and often, the disease goes along too.

The situation is fast growing out of control. ISA is a contagious viral disease that kills up to two per cent of all Chilean farmed salmon. It is so contagious that often the whole farm population must be eradicated."

A man made cesspool of disease.....  but according to some folks (who obviously have blinders on): "Don't worry about it in BC, it's not the European strain....."

::)  ::)  ::)

This from the guy in favor of enbridge bringing a pipeline through our pristine headwaters...it is to laugh.
Take the T out of Morton.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 08:16:18 AM »

This from the guy in favor of enbridge bringing a pipeline through our pristine headwaters...it is to laugh.

That's news to me....  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »

So tell me af,  tell me all about this specific virus that has just be discovered.  Start with the fact that we know it has been here for 25 or more years.  And what strain of isa is it specifically?  Tell me the part where it may be a naturally occurring virus that has similarities to ISA E (europe).  And how come we still have any wild salmon if it is so devastating.  What about the atlantic farms?  How come they have never been wiped out by ISA-E or ISA-BC even when we know fare well that atlantics are the canary in a coal mine when it comes to ISA-E.  I know you will respond with the usual facts about the potential such a virus may have.  And do not forget your conspiracy theory.  You know about as much about it as morton does and you continue to wave the isa flag everywhere in a very misleading manor.

I think it is time that when we talk about ISA we should Identify what is what because ISA-BC is not ISA-E.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »

That's news to me....  ???

Sound familiar? There are a number of other comments as well..............

The Endbridge pipeline is a risk... and the risks need to be minimized, but they cannot be avoided. The facts of why we need another market for our oil is because the US is quickly becoming self sufficient in both oil and gas.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »

So tell me af,  tell me all about this specific virus that has just be discovered.  Start with the fact that we know it has been here for 25 or more years.  And what strain of isa is it specifically?  Tell me the part where it may be a naturally occurring virus that has similarities to ISA E (europe).  And how come we still have any wild salmon if it is so devastating.  What about the atlantic farms?  How come they have never been wiped out by ISA-E or ISA-BC even when we know fare well that atlantics are the canary in a coal mine when it comes to ISA-E.  I know you will respond with the usual facts about the potential such a virus may have.  And do not forget your conspiracy theory.  You know about as much about it as morton does and you continue to wave the isa flag everywhere in a very misleading manor.

I think it is time that when we talk about ISA we should Identify what is what because ISA-BC is not ISA-E.

Thanks, that post does an excellent job of defining the term; "blinders on".

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:30 PM »

It was a premium opportunity for you to inform us of all the details about this ISA-BC but could not.  Instead you choose to label my post, which contains some basic details, as coming from a blinded individual.

Nice one, buddy.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »

It was a premium opportunity for you to inform us of all the details about this ISA-BC but could not.  Instead you choose to label my post, which contains some basic details, as coming from a blinded individual.

Nice one, buddy.

I thought you would appreciate that.....   ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »

af, if the purpose of your last few posts was to lose your credibility in this subject, you succeeded. :)
Do you believe there is and probably always has been, a strain of a virus similar to ISA-E here on the west coast that does not harm salmonids?  If so, do you think it's possible this is what Morton thinks she is finding?  If you do, you should also know about another salmon virus called IHN (Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis)  This virus is particularly deadly to sockeye and had been found in virtually every Fraser River stock examined but here's the thing – very seldom does it a actually harm fish.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »

af, if the purpose of your last few posts was to lose your credibility in this subject, you succeeded. :)
Do you believe there is and probably always has been, a strain of a virus similar to ISA-E here on the west coast that does not harm salmonids?  If so, do you think it's possible this is what Morton thinks she is finding?  If you do, you should also know about another salmon virus called IHN (Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis)  This virus is particularly deadly to sockeye and had been found in virtually every Fraser River stock examined but here's the thing – very seldom does it a actually harm fish.

I’m really not concerned about a salmon feedlot proponent rating my credibility. Your analysis of the whole feedlot fiasco on the west coast comes down to suggesting that because science hasn’t found anything, that there is no need for us to be concerned.

If the science was any where near being independent and unbiased, I could see your point. Unfortunately the “science” you and others keep quoting is coming from organizations whose mandate is to promote the expansion of feedlots and from the feed lots themselves. The CFIA who is responsible for ensuring that diseases in Canada are kept under control, showed it’s attitude when it revealed in emails that it’s main objective was winning the war, in demonstrating that ISA doesn’t exist in BC. This comes from an organization that hasn’t even put in place a surveillance system to monitor farmed and wild salmon for the disease in spite of seeing the devastation this disease has had on the environment world wide. When some private individuals tried to do their job for them and used one of the most credible scientists available to do the testing, CFIA dismissed the results. The fact is the government wants to expand the feedlot business and they are doing everything possible to plow over any objections to their plans regardless of the science. The fact is this is a virus that can mutate unpredictably.

If you want to start focusing on credibility, start at the organizations that financially benefit from the feedlots being in place. Folks like Morton and others who oppose the feedlots are doing this at their cost. Their sole motivation is to eliminate one of the many hazards that our wild salmon are exposed to.

This is not a personal vendetta against individuals such as yourself. I’m sure that outside this discussion you are a great person and obviously passionate about your beliefs. Accept that those of us that object to these feedlots are the same type of people.

The difference between you and I is that I am suggesting we should be pro-active in our approach to this disease, while you are suggesting that we do nothing…..

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »

Well, I know I’m ok and Chris says you’re a great guy so I guess we’re good ;D and for sure, nothing personal :)
You chose not answer my questions but I will ask one more to bring this back to the topic – if you didn’t watch this seminar (and I only know of aquapaloosa and myself that did) when it was first available, would you if it comes online?  Reason I ask is another staunch anti salmon farmer was non committal when I asked him ???

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »

Let me know when it comes on line and I'll try watch it.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »

Maybe all those asian carp back east should be harvested and turned into fish meal.

Just sayin.