Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano and Squamish River FN fishing  (Read 9009 times)

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

Blackgivesway2blue

Capilano and Squamish River FN fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

Capilano harvest. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzhtNkNsv4

Squamish harvest. :o :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVDOu0vE8rI

thats pathetic . glad we put all these catch n release efforts in for these guys to screw it all up for us... :-\
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:03:21 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

salmonlover

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »

thats pathetic . glad we put all these catch n release efforts in for these @$$ holes to screw it all up for us... :-\

only thing pathetic here is your comments. This is their right whether or not you agree with it, it is! To call the guys the name you did only reflects what character you have and ignorance you have towards first nations.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

only thing pathetic here is your comments. This is their right whether or not you agree with it, it is! To call the guys the name you did only reflects what character you have and ignorance you have towards first nations.

changed the way I worded it, happy now?

I know thats their right, never said anything about how it shouldnt be their right.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:47:10 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »

Yeah X3 those natives are always ruining our fishing spots by posting up hero videos on the internet giving away our locations LOL.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:32:40 PM by nickredway »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »

changed the way I worded it, happy now?

I know thats their right, never said anything about how it shouldnt be their right.

So if you accept it is their right to harvest fish, how is it "pathetic"?  Would you prefer they use a weir and Harpoon them?  Create a fish jump and use a Dip Net?  Maybe just string a seine net across the river and then release a few to spawn and keep the rest?  The Cap Band has harvested their fish this way for decades.  It is the cheapest and easiest way for an individual to harvest.  Just do not confuse them for sport anglers.  They are not fishing for sport.
Not all those who wander are lost

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »

have they been bonking bull trout and dolly varden on the squamish for decades too? probably have.

i honestly don't mind them taking a couple boot springs on the cap, they can go right ahead that's not what bothers me. its watching them catch the bull's and the dolly's. those fish are on the brink of exctintion, letting them fill up on char is gonna help our rivers? yea right.

I'm glad he never landed that steelhead.

salmonlover

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »

Yeah X3 those natives are always ruining our fishing spots by posting up hero videos on the internet giving away our locations.

as oppose to the cn railway spill on the river didn't have no impact? logging throughout all squamish valley didnt ruin the river and its tribs? development up that area had no impact on "your" fishing spots. yeah couple of first nations killing some bull trout in squamish ruined everything. man they are monsters!!!!

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »

also never said they ruined it, I'm saying they are defiantly not helping.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:55 PM »

Did I sound like i was being serious?
as oppose to the cn railway spill on the river didn't have no impact? logging throughout all squamish valley didnt ruin the river and its tribs? development up that area had no impact on "your" fishing spots. yeah couple of first nations killing some bull trout in squamish ruined everything. man they are monsters!!!!

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »

Went back and added an lol for you just to be clear.

salmonlover

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 11:19:54 PM »

Went back and added an lol for you just to be clear.

my bad...sorry.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »

No worries. On a serious note I do think that the band up there do well enough on the Salmon that it is completely unnecessary for them to hammer on a a slow growing fish like Dollies.

poper

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »

How are they any different then anyone else,I just don't see why they can do that on smaller streams and rivers,Its a joke.They will be the first ones to cry when theres no returns on those rivers.And then blame someone else.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »

How are they any different then anyone else,I just don't see why they can do that on smaller streams and rivers,Its a joke.They will be the first ones to cry when theres no returns on those rivers.And then blame someone else.

Just keep a copy of that video to post when they do cry foul. 

Every culture has their morons and the First Nations are not immune.  Just keep the criticism to specifics and avoid the generalizations. 

The First Nations of BC are "different than anyone else" because their land was taken without treaty (breaking Great Britain's own policy as set out in the Royal Proclamation 1763 which was later enshrined into Section 25 of the Charter of Rights and Freedom and Section 35 of the Constitution Act of 1982).  The British King at the time of the Proclamation (this was King George's official claim on North America following the Seven Years war with France) recognized aboriginal title and proclaimed that all "such Parts of Our Dominions and Territories as, not having been ceded to or purchased by Us [in a treaty], are reserved to them, or any of them, as their Hunting Grounds." The King had hoped that this recognition of their rights and title would help placate the First Nations (following Pontiac's uprising) and ease tensions on the frontier.  It of course had the opposite effect and formed part of the grievances that led to the American Revolution.  The rights established in the Royal Proclamation, however, continued to influence policy in Canada following the American revolution, and lead to the numbered treaties of Ontario and the Prairies.  However, after an initial attempt to sign treaties on Vancouver Island, due to a lack of funds BC's colonial government later decided that treaties were not necessary out here on the other side of the Rockies.  When BC joined Canad in 1871, most of BC remained unceded "Indian" territory and this has lead to our situation whereby we are all living in territory that is recognized, even in our own laws and courts, as "aboriginal land" and the "Hunting Grounds" of those first nations, until such time as we conclude treaties with the various nations that live here.
Not all those who wander are lost