Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.  (Read 65444 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2012, 09:25:37 PM »

Never have heard of this infection, kudoa.

http://www.marineharvestcanada.com/blog/tag/kudoa/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:40 AM »

It's pretty common Chris - I've seen it more often in chums but some Early Stuart sockeye as well.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2012, 08:14:30 AM »

"The second most prevalent parasite in farmed salmon is kudoa thyrsites, commonly called "soft flesh syndrome." This microscopic insect breaks down muscle fiber in fish, turning the flesh to a jelly-like consistency and making it commercially worthless. Deterioration occurs rapidly after salmon are killed and there is no known cure. Kudoa contamination is usually first detected when salmon are slaughtered and processed. Outbreaks have forced many salmon producers to offer discounts or credits for infected fish.

According to IntraFish, an industry newspaper, the kudoa parasite affects 20-50 percent of all salmon produced in British Columbia, costing the industry there at least $30 to $40 million annually. Atlantic salmon, the predominant commercial stock for farming operations, are more vulnerable to the kudoa parasite than Pacific salmon."

I guess that's a warning to never ever buy Atlantic salmon that you find on sale at your Superstore....   Perhaps that's why Morton was able to buy these fish at such a discount.   http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=29173.0
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »

It's also a warning to check the flesh of wild caught salmon.  If it's there you'll see it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »

It's also a warning to check the flesh of wild caught salmon.  If it's there you'll see it.
Caught many fish over the years, never seen any thing like that, thank goodness.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »

What are you trying to get at?

That it has been the close scrutiny of people opposed to the salmon farms and their practices that have led to many of the "improvements" in the industry's practices in the last ten years."
Not all those who wander are lost

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »

Caught many fish over the years, never seen any thing like that, thank goodness.

I have never caught a fish that had that.

That it has been the close scrutiny of people opposed to the salmon farms and their practices that have led to many of the "improvements" in the industry's practices in the last ten years."

Not on all fronts.

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »

Salmon Aquaculture Critic Don Staniford on Long Beach Radio, February 13, 2012
http://youtu.be/wBe-l0OgLgI

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2012, 08:28:19 PM »

The March 2012 issue of Legacy is our most comprehensive issue to date with articles and photos from Alaska to Venezuela and
many locations in between.

We opted to publish the March issue about a week earlier than planned due to the ongoing legal wrangling by Mainstream Canada / Cermaq regarding what can and cannot be published regarding the open pen salmon feedlot industry. As you'll learn by reading this issue, open pen salmon feedlots are of worldwide concern.

The March 2012 issue of Legacy is available at the link below via page flip technology to provide additional flexibility for our readers.
http://issuu.com/steelhead-salmon-society/docs/legacy312

Please feel free to share this issue with those who care deeply about wild game fish and their fragile ecosystems.

Your feedback regarding the March 2012 is welcome and appreciated.
Legacy - March 2012
issuu.com
Compilation of media coverage associated with wild game fish conservation efforts around planet earth.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »

Wonder what happened to all the money donated to his defence fund?  ::) 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2012, 08:40:33 AM »

Wonder what happened to all the money donated to his defence fund?  ::)  
Lawyer fees and I was glad to donate too, from one pocket to another. ;D ;D ;D

See you for coffee in 15 minutes, I still have enough left to buy you coffee. ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:44:56 AM by chris gadsden »

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »

Wonder what happened to all the money donated to his defence fund?  ::) 

Who cares I wasnt gullible enough to donate to his fund, all that matters is he's gone and that makes me a very happy camper.  ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

Who cares I wasnt gullible enough to donate to his fund, all that matters is he's gone and that makes me a very happy camper.  ;D
OK. News flash, he is back in year. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/bc-salmon-farming-critic-removed-from-canada-but-vows-to-continue-battle-141397213.html

C. salmon-farming critic removed from Canada but vows to continue battle
By: Keven Drews, The Canadian Press

Don Staniford, of The Global Alliance Against Industrial Aquaculture, was removed from Canada for overstaying a visitor's permit and the controversial salmon-farming critic says he has settled in Norway to "slay the dragon in its own lair."
VANCOUVER - Only days after he was removed from Canada for overstaying a visitor's permit, a controversial salmon-farming critic says he has settled in Norway to "slay the dragon in its own lair."

Since 2005, British-born activist Don Staniford has been a divisive force in British Columbia's ongoing salmon-farming debate. He has been accused by the industry of going beyond rational dialogue and distorting facts and has twice been sued by B.C. companies for defamation.

But supporters see him as a tireless critic and Staniford is promising to take his battle against the industry to Europe, where he'll serve as the global campaign co-ordinator for another environmental group.

"I've gone straight to work for the Green Warriors of Norway and straight to the belly of the beast here in Norway," said Staniford, in a phone interview.

"Norway controls much of the global industry and I'm going to slay the dragon in its own lair."

The new job is significant because Kurt Oddekalv, leader of the Green Warriors of Norway, has described himself as the most "hard hitting environmental warrior" in his country.

Also significant is Staniford's legal history.

Staniford's most-recent defamation case was launched by Mainstream Canada, a subsidiary of the Norwegian company Cermaq.

The case has wrapped up in the Supreme Court of B.C., but a judgment has yet to be made.

Staniford began his journey back to Europe in the same over-the-top theatrical style that inflamed his targets: He arrived at Vancouver International Airport clad in an orange Guantanamo Bay-like jump suit and fake, rubber chains.

After half a dozen supporters bid farewell, he said he entered a room full of immigration officials and boarded an aircraft for England.

After spending two days in England, Staniford said he headed off for his new job in Norway.

Colleen Dane, spokeswoman for the BC Salmon Farmers Association, said her organization would not comment on Staniford.

"From our perspective, the association's focus is about encouraging and creating discussion with people who want to know more about our operations and how we raise fish in B.C. and obviously to keep that dialogue moving forward," she said.

But in the past, Laurie Jensen, a spokeswoman for Mainstream Canada, and Mary Ellen Walling, executive director of the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association, have criticized Staniford for his personal attacks.

Staniford said he's already planning his next action. A delegation of Norwegian politicians is heading to B.C. to meet with the industry this week, and Staniford said he plans to raise his concerns with Norway's parliament.

He said he wants to know the purpose of the trip.

Dane confirmed an invitation-only meeting, planned and organized by the Norwegian ambassador, will take place Thursday on Quadra Island, off the northeast coast of Vancouver Island, near Campbell River.

She said her organization has been invited to talk about the relationship between First Nations and the industry in B.C.

"Any time people who are involved in aquaculture around the world in which ever jurisdiction they are operating in, if they can get together and talk a little bit more about their experiences and their learned lessons I think that's a positive thing."

Meantime, Oddekalv, who has led the Green Warriors of Norway since 1993, said he and Staniford should complement each other because of their experience.

"I think joining us together will really make an international force," he added, noting his organization has 22 employees and has a budget of millions of dollars. "I think that will mean a lot."

Both are also planning another action for Vancouver in 2013, when Staniford will be allowed to return to Canada.

Staniford said he wants to organize a two-day conference on salmon farming.

"I'm going to continue this fight," he said. "The Green Warriors of Norway are going to take the battle, take the fight directly to the Norwegian-owned industry here in Norway, and we're also going to take the fight to the market place where Norwegian owned companies are selling their farmed salmon."