Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.  (Read 66219 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2012, 06:42:13 PM »

Then there are those who know fair well that the anti group has an agenda and that is to get rid of salmon farms regardless of facts.

I am curious what you think the motivation behind this "agenda" is?

I am also curious if you think the "drastic" changes you have witnessed in your industry, especially those changes in their practice that have tried to reduce their impacts on the environment, would have occurred at all or as quickly if no one was watching and pushing for those changes from the outside?
Not all those who wander are lost

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2012, 09:05:56 AM »

I am curious what you think the motivation behind this "agenda" is?

There are many motives.  Given the huge amounts of $$$ that are given to these anti organizations is motivating.  Given the fact that there has been an assigned amount of $$$ to demarket BC salmon farming is motivating.  The fact that the alaskan salmon fishery has benefited greatly from demarketing is motivating.  I have no doubt that these anti groups feel a sense of heroics all the while feeling they are doing the right thing.  The common ring of , government suck, DFO suck, they suck, those guys suck, their wrong just does't fly with the general public.  It attracts an angry looking mob that is viewed as just that.  Like an angry child that isn't getting its way the average adult just ignores it.  

I am also curious if you think the "drastic" changes you have witnessed in your industry, especially those changes in their practice that have tried to reduce their impacts on the environment, would have occurred at all or as quickly if no one was watching and pushing for those changes from the outside?

I think many changes were so beneficial to the farm that they were forced into it.  High densities would be on item that I had seen change.   I think the farms just realized that with lower densities they had a better product and better conversion etc.  And one thing I can see that will have a negative affect on wild salmon is where there is no control of seal and sea lion predation.  Some here like to point at the atlantic cod scenario and I to will do.  It has just been reported that the cod there are not making a comeback because of the grey seal.  I believe that seals and sea lions should be controlled to help protect wild salmon but the antis get caught in conflict between naturalism and protecting wild salmon.  I see this as evidence of there reckless ways.
  Those are two huge questions. I barely touched on them with a couple of examples.  No I would not credit mortion with many of the changes put on the farms.  Her biggest move, having the feds take over for the Provence has changed NOTHING but maybe put a little sticky star on the shoulder of a superhero suit.  

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:14:58 PM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

gordc

« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »

Quote from: Dave on January 23, 2012, 09:25:01 AM
So, uh, how much money are you (Chris, alwaysfishin,Troutbreath, etc) donating to defend this guy?
Anyone?

Quote from: Chris
Lets put it this way, more than you and some others here. 

Put gold in my pockets and I'll put God in your heart  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »

Here's the draft text of the injunction Cermaq's lawyers are applying for: "Mr. Staniford by himself, his agents, servants or otherwise shall be restrained from publishing, or causing to be published, on the internet or by any other methods or medium, any defamatory statement referring in any way to the plaintiff, whether by name, pseudonym, address, photograph or other means of identity"

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

There are many motives.  Given the huge amounts of $$$ that are given to these anti organizations is motivating.  Given the fact that there has been an assigned amount of $$$ to demarket BC salmon farming is motivating.  The fact that the alaskan salmon fishery has benefited greatly from demarketing is motivating.

So the anti-farm movement is spearheaded by the Alaskan salmon ranchers?  Is that what you are saying?

No I would not credit mortion with many of the changes put on the farms.  Her biggest move, having the feds take over for the Provence has changed NOTHING but maybe put a little sticky star on the shoulder of a superhero suit.  

Morton is not the first, only, or last person to disagree with open pen salmon farming.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »

Here's the draft text of the injunction Cermaq's lawyers are applying for: "Mr. Staniford by himself, his agents, servants or otherwise shall be restrained from publishing, or causing to be published, on the internet or by any other methods or medium, any defamatory statement referring in any way to the plaintiff, whether by name, pseudonym, address, photograph or other means of identity"
Judge Adair is reserving on all matters. Trial now adjourned.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »

So the anti-farm movement is spearheaded by the Alaskan salmon ranchers?  Is that what you are saying?

No, not spearheading.  More like active indirect participants.

Morton is not the first, only, or last person to disagree with open pen salmon farming.

I agree.  I should not have used only her name.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »

No, not spearheading.  More like active indirect participants.

I agree.  I should not have used only her name.

Do you think the Leggatt Inquiry and its findings had any impact on encouraging them to change their procedures and policies?

http://dspace.cigilibrary.org/jspui/bitstream/123456789/23543/1/Clear%20Choices%20Clear%20Waters%20The%20Leggatt%20Inquiry%20into%20Salmon%20Farming%20in%20British%20Colombia.pdf?1
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:20:22 PM by Sandman »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »

Do you think the Leggatt Inquiry and its findings had any impact on encouraging them to change their procedures and policies?

http://dspace.cigilibrary.org/jspui/bitstream/123456789/23543/1/Clear%20Choices%20Clear%20Waters%20The%20Leggatt%20Inquiry%20into%20Salmon%20Farming%20in%20British%20Colombia.pdf?1

Thanks for that link Sandman.

Interesting recommendations:

Recommendations of the Leggatt Inquiry

1. Remove all net-cage salmon farms from the marine environment by January 1, 2005.

2. Remove responsibility for promotion of aquaculture from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans; increase monitoring and regulation of salmon farming by government regulators.

3. Increase involvement of communities, especially First Nations, in consultation, partnership and ownership of salmon farming operations.

4. Maintain the moratorium on new farm sites with no further expansion at existing sites; complete and update the Salmon Aquaculture Review.

5. Apply the precautionary principle to regulation of the salmon farming industry.

6. Require labeling and identification of farm salmon at the consumer level.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »

Yes in some cases.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »

Yes in some cases.

Was the Leggatt Inquiry not struck because of concerns raised (by people like Morton) that the industry was poorly regulated and was not being environmentally responsible?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »

I would and have never said that morton and others have not had and effect on industry.  I just do not believe that it is a great as some may claim as was the switch from the province to the feds regulating the industry. 

What are you trying to get at?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »

Final video from Don, re trial.
http://youtu.be/I1MB5Tc5DPg