Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yummy Atlantic Salmon from Superstore  (Read 22017 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Yummy Atlantic Salmon from Superstore
« on: January 12, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »

http://www.salmonaresacred.org/blog/groundtruthing-salmon-dying-spawning

Below are some excerpts from the above link.....

"Recently I bought some "fresh" Atlantic Farmed Salmon from Superstore.

Although the fish had an expiry date 5 days from my purchase their gills were rotting so bad. When I saw these gills  I immediately thought of the fish I had seen in the river especially in the pattern. I wondered if these fish weren't harvested because they were experiencing disease.
Below are  pictures of FARMED FEEDLOT ATLANTIC SALMON

I got 13 fish in the 2 to 4 lb range and all had rotting gills . They also had a very different brain then anything I had seen, a spongy growth had grown around them that had to be removed before the brain could be exposed.

In addition this one had a bright yellow spot on its brain as well.

I could say more about this experience but just wanted to point out some things that I found concerning. Especially since we learned from Laura Richards (Head of DFO Pacific Region) that no specific person is tasked with reading the disease records from the salmon farm feedlots."
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: Yummy Atlantic Salmon from Superstore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »

It's strange, you don't know what it is, better blame the fish farm then find out what it is.  Typical.

Was Morton really in Calgary on October 26, 2011.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:58:02 PM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »

It's strange, you don't know what it is, better blame the fish farm then find out what it is.  Typical.

They don't grow them in the wild...... :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »

Typical Morton...nuff said  ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »

Are they BC reared fish? Are they ocean reared fish? Which farm did they come from? Or did they come from the commodity brokers who source salmon from Chile? So many important, unanswered questions to accompany the unsubstantiated inferences that the fish were diseased and representative of the farmed product. Typical Morton.

I am surprised they still have their gills; conventional practice is to remove them because of blood decomposition and the direct connection to the circulatory system in the edible tissues. Price is also quite interesting, $1.99 per pound. That and the fact that they are 2 to 4 lb weight class suggests they come from one of the land based freshwater facilities, not conventional seapen farming.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:11:37 AM by absolon »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »

AF,  please provide us with all the information on these fish so that we could at least have somewhere to start understanding the pictures.  And also while it isn't really an issue could you confirm that Mrs Morton was in NE Calgary on Oct 26, 2011 as the label and her blog would suggest.  Not for any reason more than I am very curious.  Since she had those fish on Oct 26 2011 you would think that the results from the ISA tests she would have had done would be complete.  Where are those?   Or were the test not necessary because she already had her ducks all lined up already. Or the results didn't suit her position. Allot of questions.  I'll bet we never get to know.  Just another misinformation story to fill the gap until we get to see stanford go down.  She's had this story since well into November why show us this now?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »

AF,  please provide us with all the information on these fish so that we could at least have somewhere to start understanding the pictures.  And also while it isn't really an issue could you confirm that Mrs Morton was in NE Calgary on Oct 26, 2011 as the label and her blog would suggest.  Not for any reason more than I am very curious.  Since she had those fish on Oct 26 2011 you would think that the results from the ISA tests she would have had done would be complete.  Where are those?   Or were the test not necessary because she already had her ducks all lined up already. Or the results didn't suit her position. Allot of questions.  I'll bet we never get to know.  Just another misinformation story to fill the gap until we get to see stanford go down.  She's had this story since well into November why show us this now?

The address on the salmon label is the western H.O. address of Superstore. All Superstore products in western Canada probably use the same label. The actual product (13 salmon) were bought in Campbell river. I'm quite certain they are BC farmed fish as that is the whole point of her research. I have no information on whether she had them tested for ISA, and if she did, what the results were.

I've made no inferences as to the linkage of the salmon to the whole ISA thing as that topic is in another thread. Probably the take away for the OP is make sure you know what you are buying. Although the expiry date of that product was 5 days from the date that the product was purchased, the fish were not only well into a state of decomposition, but there was obviously other health issues with those fish that may been the reason that they were harvested and sent to market early. Hoping there would be better health inspection at source or on the store shelf is probably wishful thinking.

The article has been on the link provided since October 15th 2012.

I am surprised they still have their gills; conventional practice is to remove them because of blood decomposition and the direct connection to the circulatory system in the edible tissues. Price is also quite interesting, $1.99 per pound. That and the fact that they are 2 to 4 lb weight class suggests they come from one of the land based freshwater facilities, not conventional seapen farming.

I wasn't aware that Mainstream raised Atlantic salmon in land based farms in BC.... please provide a link.  It's highly unlikely that Superstore would be importing Atlantic salmon when they have a distribution agreement with Mainstream and the farms are just outside of Campbell River.  Perhaps the fish farm recognized that these fish were diseased and harvested them early. That could explain both the price and the small size.

Consumers in the Campbell river area should be thankful that Morton came along and bought them.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:16:28 PM by alwaysfishn »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »

Does Mainstream have an exclusive agreement with Superstore or even any kind of an agreement?

How can you tell those salmon are from Mainstream?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »

Although the expiry date of that product was 5 days from the date that the product was purchased, the fish were not only well into a state of decomposition

Portions of those gills are not looking right I would say.  Yes they may be "off" but to say that they are rotten because they are farm fish is not complete.

Its posts like these that allow anyone with "A simple rudimentary understanding of biology" to see how the anti salmon farming movement here in BC operates....embarrassing.

Reminds me of the sea lice photos that are slathered everywhere.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »

This whole story is sounding bogus to me.  I cannot imagine any Superstore selling fish of this poor quality and as absolon notes, when was the last time you saw gills in a store bought salmon?
And really, why would anyone buy 13 rotting salmon when one would serve the photographic needs?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:04:22 PM »

Portions of those gills are not looking right I would say.  Yes they may be "off" but to say that they are rotten because they are farm fish is not complete.

Its posts like these that allow anyone with "A simple rudimentary understanding of biology" to see how the anti salmon farming movement here in BC operates....embarrassing.

Reminds me of the sea lice photos that are slathered everywhere.

I know the fish farm industry would prefer that these dirty little secrets remained secret as they tend to be bad for business.

I just posted what I read on the internet. It's up to everyone to make their own judgements based on the information provided...

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »

This whole story is sounding bogus to me.  I cannot imagine any Superstore selling fish of this poor quality and as absolon notes, when was the last time you saw gills in a store bought salmon?
And really, why would anyone buy 13 rotting salmon when one would serve the photographic needs?

That is certainly one way of explaining it away.   ???  ::)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »

Typical of you to draw the whole industry in on a picture of one fishes gills.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 01:45:36 PM »

I just posted what I read on the internet. It's up to everyone to make their own judgements based on the information provided...

Of course, everyone knows that if you read it on the internet it must be true.

Morton would make a much better case if she took these fish and had histological sections taken from the brain, analyzed by a competent lab and from that testing, identify that there was a specific problem. It would also improve her case if she identified the source of these fish and was able to explain why they were sold gills-on and why the gills were so deteriorated. The absence of any confirmation of her inferences really reduces the whole story to another case of a small boy crying wolf once again. As in that fable, the more times one cries wolf, the less likely it is to be believed.

Your conclusion that these are diseased fish originating from Mainstream pens is based entirely on unconfirmed logical premises, another example of that problem with logical argument that we have discussed previously. Your willingness to post it anyway speaks volumes about the reliability of any information you provide.

StillAqua

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »

Before you point fingers at the supplier, a lot can happen to meat and produce in transport, storage and handling in big box stores. Had a "fresh" turkey from Superstore last Thanksgiving I bought and opened the day before to brine....when I bagged it and took it back to the store, I warned the manager not to open it in the store...he took it out back and came back and thanked me for the warning. Add that to the bad chicken thighs and fishy "fresh halibut from Save On...... >:(