Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.  (Read 65446 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »

These are intelligent business men and I admire their generosity. They are taking an opportunity to express their appreciation for someone they know is fighting to preserve their lively hood.

Interesting thing is that Don isn't even fighting for their lively hood. He just wants to see the wild salmon survive.

Thank goodness for the fish farms.  If it weren't for the farms who would they blame.  I always am surprised that commercial and sport fishers(some not all) support so generously, a group that, say once the fish farms were gone, would shut them down in a heart beat.  After all,
He just wants to see the wild salmon survive.

I know others will think that would never happen. 

IMO

Save the wild salmon by eating them?

Interesting thing is that Don isn't even fighting for their lively hood.
I couldn't agree more.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »

Thank goodness for the fish farms.  If it weren't for the farms who would they blame.  I always am surprised that commercial and sport fishers(some not all) support so generously, a group that, say once the fish farms were gone, would shut them down in a heart beat.  After all,
I know others will think that would never happen.  

IMO

Save the wild salmon by eating them?

I couldn't agree more.

Is this the new pro feedlot slogan? seem to be hearing it more and more. Maybe it will be part of the next salmon farm marketing campaign.

A lot us like to eat wild salmon, probably because of the very low PCB content.....  :D

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »

You seem to be holding on tightly to this PCB thing even though you very well know the levels are well within the acceptable levels and the varied results are currency to controversy.

We are going to see what the court thinks.  Oh, I just about forgot, you do not trust the government.

You know if stanford loses, there whole story is going to change to freedom of speech, and conspiracy ideas and all of that.   :'(

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:01 PM »

A lot us like to eat wild salmon, probably because of the very low PCB content.....  :D

Now now.  It is not "low"...it is just a heck of a lot lower than farmed salmon.  PCBs continue to plague all sea food chains, and salmon (as a top end predator) is affected by the bio accumulation of these chemicals.  This is why we need to continue to fight to have the use and disposal of these chemicals controlled. The farmed fish, because of the concentration of their food pellets, are simply more affected than wild fish by an order of magnitude.
Not all those who wander are lost

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »

I see it like this.  Farm Fish have a higher fat content so like everything else there is potential for higher PCBs.  So you could eat less of it and receive the same or better benefits of eating  a regular portion of wild fish.  Especially in the case of the leaner wild species.

What did you have for supper tonight, AF?  Walnuts?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:10:38 PM by aquapaloosa »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 07:41:50 PM »

What did you have for supper tonight, AF?  Walnuts?

;D  ;D   I had some baked "low PCB dose" wild sockeye salmon (that I caught myself), marinated in maple syrup, soya sauce, crushed fresh garlic and ginger root. Served over white rice and a mix of lightly stir fried fresh vegetables.   A topping of crushed roasted walnuts would have been a nice touch...    :)

The nice thing about wild salmon versus the feedlot stuff is it tastes great, and I can eat it 5 times a month yet I walk away from the table each time knowing that I will have eaten less PCB's than someone who has one atlantic salmon meal per month.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:44:29 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »

;D  ;D   I had some baked "low PCB dose" wild sockeye salmon (that I caught myself), marinated in maple syrup, soya sauce, crushed fresh garlic and ginger root. Served over white rice and a mix of lightly stir fried fresh vegetables.   A topping of crushed roasted walnuts would have been a nice touch...    :)

The nice thing about wild salmon versus the feedlot stuff is it tastes great, and I can eat it 5 times a month yet I walk away from the table each time knowing that I will have eaten less PCB's than someone who has one atlantic salmon meal per month.

Or you could have had a 1/5 portion of farmed salmon crushed into a pâté paste and scraped onto a cracker and still have the same PCBs.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »

Actually I have a great cedar plank recipe for feedlot atlantics....  ;)    Substitute the white spring with an atlantic...

www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24243.msg228603

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »

So you do not each chicken, butter, tuna because all that has higher pcb's than farm salmon.

Also,  I have had some white springs that did not taste so good the way I cooked them but i recently found that I like it in soup.  Like cajun style, tomato based with sausage and other seafood items. ;D I hope your not throwing white springs in the trash :'( like you suggest in your recipe.  That would be a shame and unlawful.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2012, 07:57:23 AM »

So you do not each chicken, butter, tuna because all that has higher pcb's than farm salmon.

Also,  I have had some white springs that did not taste so good the way I cooked them but i recently found that I like it in soup.  Like cajun style, tomato based with sausage and other seafood items. ;D I hope your not throwing white springs in the trash :'( like you suggest in your recipe.  That would be a shame and unlawful.

Check the ;D ;D's after his recipe. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »

http://youtu.be/MAE-5HKZ96c

Interesting, very interesting.  I agree.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »

The risk to your health is far greater by not eating either famed or wild salmon than by consume either of them.  The truth of the matter is that there are small amount of PCBs all over the world.  PCBs are lipophillic (like to bind to fat) so they will concentrate in fat.  The 2004 Hites study over exagerates the issue and creates a lot of unneccessary fear.  The levels of contaminants found are less than 1/80th of the acceptable levels established by Health Canada.  Thus, if you are that concerned about PCB levels that low then you should really be cutting out other more prone sources of PCBs like beef, milk, eggs, poultry and pork.  If this still does not satisfy you then you could trim the fat from farmed salmon.  It should be noted that the farmed salmon used in the 2004 Hites report were not trimmed of any fat.  Even if you do not decide to trim the fat from farmed salmon you are still better off eating it than not eating any salmon.  Authors of these studies that claim that farm salmon is dangerous to your health also make the numbers (concentrations of contaminants) bigger than they actually are.  Instead of using the commonly used ppm (parts per million) these authors use ppt (parts per trillion).  When you report a number like 50,000 ppt to Joe Public he would tend to think that is a very high number, but in fact it is very, very, very small.  Be careful of the use of units in reports because they can be misleading.

Statistically, you are at more risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) than cancer-related diseases due to PCBs in farmed salmon.  The benefits of eating farmed or wild salmon with Omega-3 fatty acids far exceed any risk posed by PCBs.  I would be more concerned with Type 2 diabetes (a much bigger concern in this country) than the extremely minimal risks posed by eating farmed salmon.  Not even in the same ballpark.....Sorry.  Even the World Health Organization agrees CHD is a much greater risk to your health (check out the rankings).  A diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids is a good place to start to help improve your health.  This should really not be a farmed salmon vs. wild salmon issue.  This is more of a public health issue.  We should be not discouraging anyone from eating either farmed or wild salmon.  That is totally the wrong direction in my opinion.  In essence, the Hites study does more of disservice to public health than good. No wonder Suzuki hardly mentions it anymore.  I like your recipe though.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/296/15/1885.full
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/surveill/other-autre/fish-poisson/index-eng.php
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/303/5655/226  (Hites study)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:40:38 PM by shuswapsteve »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »

Interesting, very interesting.  I agree.

That lawyer is one cunning fellow and has chosen his words very carefully to sound as if he is simply discussing the underlying issues without prejudice. Though he explicity presents his comments as being non-prejudicial, he then goes on to portray Staniford as the little guy and implies that rather than being challenged by Mainstream, a BC salmon farming company, it is actually the government of Norway trying to shut Staniford up. Of course, he completely overlooks the very well organized and well funded campaign against salmon farming of which Staniford represents a very active component part.

He also presents this as a challenge against the right to free and fair comment on issues of great social concern. He completely neglects to mention the need for free and fair comment to remain within the boundaries of truth and provable fact.

For all the comments that are made about the importance of and interest in this trial, a Google search of the news turns up absolutely no coverage other than a few blogger sites and what Staniford and the reactionary movement have posted to youtube. This is looking more and more like a tempest in a teacup every day; an inconsequential event to everyone but Staniford.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »

That lawyer is one cunning fellow and has chosen his words very carefully to sound as if he is simply discussing the underlying issues without prejudice. Though he explicity presents his comments as being non-prejudicial, he then goes on to portray Staniford as the little guy and implies that rather than being challenged by Mainstream, a BC salmon farming company, it is actually the government of Norway trying to shut Staniford up. Of course, he completely overlooks the very well organized and well funded campaign against salmon farming of which Staniford represents a very active component part.

He also presents this as a challenge against the right to free and fair comment on issues of great social concern. He completely neglects to mention the need for free and fair comment to remain within the boundaries of truth and provable fact.

For all the comments that are made about the importance of and interest in this trial, a Google search of the news turns up absolutely no coverage other than a few blogger sites and what Staniford and the reactionary movement have posted to youtube. This is looking more and more like a tempest in a teacup every day; an inconsequential event to everyone but Staniford.

I think he is choosing his words carefully because it is clear that if he were to say anything that can be perceived to damage Mainstream's reputation then he would face a similar lawsuit himself.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12