Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.  (Read 65453 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2012, 05:24:58 PM »

For all the comments that are made about the importance of and interest in this trial, a Google search of the news turns up absolutely no coverage other than a few blogger sites and what Staniford and the reactionary movement have posted to youtube. This is looking more and more like a tempest in a teacup every day; an inconsequential event to everyone but Staniford.
We are getting lots of coverage here, isn't this a main stream media site? ;D ;D ;D

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »

We are getting lots of coverage here, isn't this a main stream media site? ;D ;D ;D

I have to agree. The three of you are just whipping up a storm of coverage :D

It's a pity that Staniford doesn't look more like Pamela Anderson. If he did, I'd watch those videos he keeps posting telling us who is winning and panhandling for more spare change.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2012, 06:40:28 AM »

I have to agree. The three of you are just whipping up a storm of coverage :D

It's a pity that Staniford doesn't look more like Pamela Anderson. If he did, I'd watch those videos he keeps posting telling us who is winning and panhandling for more spare change.
My cousin's cousin is P.A. ??? ::) so take it easy on her. ;D The money he has raised is more than just spare change. ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2012, 08:50:33 AM »

The risk to your health is far greater by not eating either famed or wild salmon than by consume either of them.  The truth of the matter is that there are small amount of PCBs all over the world.  PCBs are lipophillic (like to bind to fat) so they will concentrate in fat.  The 2004 Hites study over exagerates the issue and creates a lot of unneccessary fear.  The levels of contaminants found are less than 1/80th of the acceptable levels established by Health Canada.  Thus, if you are that concerned about PCB levels that low then you should really be cutting out other more prone sources of PCBs like beef, milk, eggs, poultry and pork.  If this still does not satisfy you then you could trim the fat from farmed salmon.  It should be noted that the farmed salmon used in the 2004 Hites report were not trimmed of any fat.  Even if you do not decide to trim the fat from farmed salmon you are still better off eating it than not eating any salmon.  Authors of these studies that claim that farm salmon is dangerous to your health also make the numbers (concentrations of contaminants) bigger than they actually are.  Instead of using the commonly used ppm (parts per million) these authors use ppt (parts per trillion).  When you report a number like 50,000 ppt to Joe Public he would tend to think that is a very high number, but in fact it is very, very, very small.  Be careful of the use of units in reports because they can be misleading.

Statistically, you are at more risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) than cancer-related diseases due to PCBs in farmed salmon.  The benefits of eating farmed or wild salmon with Omega-3 fatty acids far exceed any risk posed by PCBs.  I would be more concerned with Type 2 diabetes (a much bigger concern in this country) than the extremely minimal risks posed by eating farmed salmon.  Not even in the same ballpark.....Sorry.  Even the World Health Organization agrees CHD is a much greater risk to your health (check out the rankings).  A diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids is a good place to start to help improve your health.  This should really not be a farmed salmon vs. wild salmon issue.  This is more of a public health issue.  We should be not discouraging anyone from eating either farmed or wild salmon.  That is totally the wrong direction in my opinion.  In essence, the Hites study does more of disservice to public health than good. No wonder Suzuki hardly mentions it anymore. 

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/296/15/1885.full
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/surveill/other-autre/fish-poisson/index-eng.php
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/303/5655/226  (Hites study)

Your post reminds me of this link....  http://www.freedom-of-choice.com/AS3.htm  Apparently smoking isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.  ???

Myth:  Cigarettes cause lung cancer.
     Truth: Cigarettes do not cause cancer but are but one of many factors that can increase the incidence of lung cancer. People who have never been exposed to any type of cigarette smoke still get lung cancer. Not only that but for every 100 lifelong heavy smokers, less than 6 of them would ever get lung cancer.1,2  Hardly any direct correlation.

Myth:  Smoking has no medical benefits.
    Truth:  It helps to prevent the development of neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease.9-14  It may also be helpful in ADHD, schizophrenia, and depression.14  Smoking has been found to be relaxing for beneficial for some anxiety disorders and people with type A personalities.  In fact, taking away smoking from some subgroups can increase their medical problems and chance of dying). Smoking like caffeine can help a person get going in the morning and improve their energy state.7  Though some of the benefits from smoking may be due to some individual components such as nicotine, studies need to be done and an effective means of administration needs to be developed.

I like your recipe though.

Thanks, I recommend it for all atlantic salmon.....  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »

The money he has raised is more than just spare change. ;D ;D ;D

But will it be enough?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »

Your post reminds me of this link....  http://www.freedom-of-choice.com/AS3.htm  Apparently smoking isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.  ???

Myth:  Cigarettes cause lung cancer.
     Truth: Cigarettes do not cause cancer but are but one of many factors that can increase the incidence of lung cancer. People who have never been exposed to any type of cigarette smoke still get lung cancer. Not only that but for every 100 lifelong heavy smokers, less than 6 of them would ever get lung cancer.1,2  Hardly any direct correlation.

Myth:  Smoking has no medical benefits.
    Truth:  It helps to prevent the development of neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease.9-14  It may also be helpful in ADHD, schizophrenia, and depression.14  Smoking has been found to be relaxing for beneficial for some anxiety disorders and people with type A personalities.  In fact, taking away smoking from some subgroups can increase their medical problems and chance of dying). Smoking like caffeine can help a person get going in the morning and improve their energy state.7  Though some of the benefits from smoking may be due to some individual components such as nicotine, studies need to be done and an effective means of administration needs to be developed.

Thanks, I recommend it for all atlantic salmon.....  ;D

Tobacco Facts
Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable illness and death in the United States. It causes many different cancers as well as chronic lung diseases, such as emphysema and bronchitis, and heart disease. Cigarette smoking causes an estimated 443,000 deaths each year, including approximately 49,400 deaths due to exposure to secondhand smoke.

Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women in the United States, and 90 percent of lung cancer deaths among men and approximately 80 percent of lung cancer deaths among women are due to smoking.

Smoking causes many other types of cancer, including cancers of the throat, mouth, nasal cavity, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, and cervix, and acute myeloid leukemia.

People who smoke are up to six times more likely to suffer a heart attack than nonsmokers, and the risk increases with the number of cigarettes smoked. Smoking also causes most cases of chronic lung disease.

In 2009, approximately 20.6 percent of U.S. adults were cigarette smokers.

Nearly 20 percent of high school students smoke cigarettes.
(See Tobacco Statistics Snapshot for references for this information.)

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/tobacco/smoking

and yes ! 3 heart attacks later (one of which the pump stopped for over 2 mins) Had I not been on the table already ,i would not be here now to annoy the hell out of some :) I still have the occasional puff on a pipe or a cigar. I think it feels like it's benificial in relieving stress or like a meditation........ but it is stupid to deny it's detriments to health or to claim benifit.

an analogy perhaps?
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »

an analogy perhaps?

Definitely an analogy! There is no question that smoking carries a huge health risk!

I was referencing Shuswapsteve's post where he said: ....and I paraphrase..  "Eating PCB laced farmed salmon is actually good for you, because while you are eating the PCB's you are benefiting from some Omega 3's."

Sorry to hear about your heart attacks.  :(   
........  And stay away from any form of tobacco.... or PCB's for that matter.   ???

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »

But will it be enough?
A lot of people that care about our wild salmon are stepping up to the plate and are not striking out but helping the best they can on this very important case.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »

Those people who step up to the plate aren't helping save the wild salmon. They are contributing to the personal welfare of a self-proclaimed illegal alien who displays very little personal responsibility.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »

A lot of people that care about our wild salmon are stepping up to the plate and are not striking out but helping the best they can on this very important case.

seems that many forget that the outcome of this trial may or may not muzzle folks from publicly communicating their thoughts or perceptions on any industry practice, especially so, if that industry feels it may promote a negative image .
What is fair comment and what is not: Are you allowed to publicly communicate those thoughts?
 Now, if the decision goes against Mr.Staniford will that mean we/us /anyone cannot voice their opinion on any project ( name your Dam, Pipe Line here) or company As it will be seen as promoting a negative image?
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »

Maybe Chris could post stanford's deportation papers in the spirit of transparency. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »

seems that many forget that the outcome of this trial may or may not muzzle folks from publicly communicating their thoughts or perceptions on any industry practice, especially so, if that industry feels it may promote a negative image .
What is fair comment and what is not: Are you allowed to publicly communicate those thoughts?
 Now, if the decision goes against Mr.Staniford will that mean we/us /anyone cannot voice their opinion on any project ( name your Dam, Pipe Line here) or company As it will be seen as promoting a negative image?

The issue is not whether a person can speak up in opposition. The issue at stake in this case is that the comments must be based on truth and cannot simply be the fabrication of an overactive imagination served up in an organized PR campaign as a means to attain a personal end. Staniford is simply being given the opportunity to demonstrate that all the comments he made are true. If he can satisfactorily accomplish that, he has nothing to fear and walks away unencumbered. If he cannot, he will be required to face the consequences of abusing his right to speak out. This trial is a pointed reminder that with rights come responsibilities.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »

Maybe Chris could post stanford's deportation papers in the spirit of transparency. 
Should probably wait until it happens, I have heard some reasons but have not verified them to date. One small item for you, his name is spelt Staniford.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »

Those people who step up to the plate aren't helping save the wild salmon. They are contributing to the personal welfare of a self-proclaimed illegal alien who displays very little personal responsibility.
If we did not have people willing to speak up, stand up for our environment, our fish and wildlife they, as well as the human race would be a lot worse off than what we are faced with now, in British Columbia, Canada and around our planet. There is so many examples of that and I donot have to list them as most of us personally know what some of them are as we have all seen and read about them during our life time and during the past century.

It certainly is a disappointing state of affairs that human apathy, in too many cases let this all happen without questioning decisions made by some levels of government and those that gain financially, all at the expense of the environment and those that rely on a pristine environment to survive.

History proves that, I think you would agree, I hope you do.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12