Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best recipes for white spring(chinook) salmon??  (Read 24769 times)

hur1214

best recipes for white spring(chinook) salmon??
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:08:51 AM »

what is the best recipe for white spring salmon?  sashimi?  ::) ::)
Please share your recipes!!

I did some research from google but most are based on red spring, not white...

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: best recipes for white spring(chinook) salmon??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:27:16 AM »

Cedar Plank Vedder whites recipe

Fillet the spring. Soak a cedar plank approx. 18" x 6" overnight in water. Buy these at home depot or Rona in 6 ft lengths. They are in the fencing dept. Be sure to get untreated cedar.

Prepare the salmon by seasoning with salt and pepper and squeezing on some fresh lemon juice.

Put in medium heat barbecue for approx 30 minutes. For extra flavor baste with maple syrup.

Check doneness by testing for flakiness. DO NOT OVERCOOK!

When ready take plank off barbecue and scrape salmon into the garbage can and serve the cedar plank along with rice and a fresh salad.

Serves approximately 6 people.   ;D  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:36:26 AM »

Cook it like you would red spring although I'm prone to marinating it in Teryaki sauce for severeal hours; overnight if possible.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »

Cedar Plank Vedder whites recipe

Fillet the spring. Soak a cedar plank approx. 18" x 6" overnight in water. Buy these at home depot or Rona in 6 ft lengths. They are in the fencing dept. Be sure to get untreated cedar.

Prepare the salmon by seasoning with salt and pepper and squeezing on some fresh lemon juice.

Put in medium heat barbecue for approx 30 minutes. For extra flavor baste with maple syrup.

Check doneness by testing for flakiness. DO NOT OVERCOOK!

When ready take plank off barbecue and scrape salmon into the garbage can and serve the cedar plank along with rice and a fresh salad.

Serves approximately 6 people.   ;D  ;D

HAHAHA!!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »

I like to smoke white springs.
They are more oily and smoke very nice.

gofishon

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »

I have smoked fresh white springs with some success and have found marinating for added flavour helps its cause on the BBQ. The only way to cook with white springs is while they are in prime condition and fresh ...NEVER FROZEN! Ocean caught chromers are "OK". What some people do with those spawners I see dragged out of the Vedder is beyond me  :o (perhaps they use alwaysfishn's previously posted recipe...HA!).

Weatherby

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »

Was there an article a few years back about using white springs for "fish and chips"?

gofishon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »

Andychan posted a very good beer batter recipe in The Fish Kitchen. I have used it for FRESH white springs, but add Cajun spice to suit my taste. Just don't use too large of boneless fillet pieces unless you love that white spring flavour.

Weatherby

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »

Andychan posted a very good beer batter recipe in The Fish Kitchen. I have used it for FRESH white springs, but add Cajun spice to suit my taste. Just don't use too large of boneless fillet pieces unless you love that white spring flavour.

;D good call

gumby

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »

equal parts soy sauce and water ( has to be kikoman ) freshly minced garlic, and brown sugar to sweeten. vinegar is an option. then either bake, steam, or bbq. awesome with all fish!!!!

shakespug

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 08:41:06 PM »

If I catch one this season, I would filet it, steam it with fermented black beans, green onions and garlic. Maybe casual amount of light soy sauce too and a pinch of sugar.  ::)

ericd

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »

I heard that you are suppose to cook spring like you would mackeral. I think the Japanese have got it figured out!

jimmywits

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 10:03:46 AM »

equal parts soy sauce and water ( has to be kikoman ) freshly minced garlic, and brown sugar to sweeten. vinegar is an option. then either bake, steam, or bbq. awesome with all fish!!!!
agreed; I add a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt to the mix and it makes a tasty glaze

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »

Vedder whites are best cut into strips battered and fried or else smoked.  Upper Fraser chromers are good almost anyway you cook them if they are fresh.  For fried strips dip in flour then egg and then roll in broken bread crumbs or crakers and fry in a pan.

ericd

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »

I can't believe that so many people in lower mainland don't like white spring. FYI - it's called Ivory Spring and is more expensive than sockeye when sold commercially. I've done two kick my friend recipes lately:

#1 - diced tomatos, onions, garlic, and mushroom sauce. grill the spring with salt & garlic. poor over tomato sauce, serve with rice and side-veg. yum!

#2 - simple indian curry. yum!