Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jensen Eggs, Bait ??  (Read 9890 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Jensen Eggs, Bait ??
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »

I don't actually think pink worms, eggs, gooey bobs, etc. are made of rubber. They are made of a plastic polymer, which I highly doubt comes from a rubber tree.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »

Dion, your right.  Plastisol is the product used to make plastic worms.  It comes in a milky liquid form and is then heated to about 350 F before being hand poured or injected into a mold. 

blacktail2

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »

I should clarify a few things here, the only reason I mentioned the Cap was because that is where a fisherman or two got tickets for using Jensen Eggs during a bait ban. I will be totally honest here I have not nor will I read the regs from cover to cover and was really surprised when I read about them being considered bait. Yes rules are rules and it doesn’t get any clearer when it is in black and white. I was mistaken when I made the comment they were made from rubber, I actually looked on the bottle and they are plastic according to the manufacturer. I fully support all efforts to conserve our fish stocks but I have lost count at the number of fish (salmon, steelhead ) I have caught on these things and have yet to see any of my fish hooked anywhere other than just inside the mouth and that goes for all the photos I see on this and several other forums. Now when push comes to shove all “synthetic” items emit an odour of some sort and depending on which day and who you ask could be considered a fish attractant. I can detect a slight odour from those pink worms we all like to fish should these be considered bait I don’t think so but that’s just my opinion. I just wanted to make a few points in my post and get some feed back from other anglers and point out a needless inconsistency in enforcement. I won’t be giving up fishing for golf any time soon and i can assure you I am not “Looking for a Loop Hole”.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:53:36 PM by blacktail2 »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »

No grey area here.  Bait by definition gives off scent.  Jensen eggs are bait because Jensen eggs have scent.  The CO was just doing his job.  Rubber eggs are also available at most shops and are not scented, and thus are safe to use where theres a bait ban.  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:54:45 PM by Matt »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »

I should clarify a few things here, the only reason I mentioned the Cap was because that is where a fisherman or two got tickets for using Jensen Eggs during a bait ban. I will be totally honest here I have not nor will I read the regs from cover to cover and was really surprised when I read about them being considered bait. Yes rules are rules and it doesn’t get any clearer when it is in black and white. I was mistaken when I made the comment they were made from rubber, I actually looked on the bottle and they are plastic according to the manufacturer. I fully support all efforts to conserve our fish stocks but I have lost count at the number of fish (salmon, steelhead ) I have caught on these things and have yet to see any of my fish hooked anywhere other than just inside the mouth and that goes for all the photos I see on this and several other forums. Now when push comes to shove all “synthetic” items emit an odour of some sort and depending on which day and who you ask could be considered a fish attractant. I can detect a slight odour from those pink worms we all like to fish should these be considered bait I don’t think so but that’s just my opinion. I just wanted to make a few points in my post and get some feed back from other anglers and point out a needless inconsistency in enforcement. I won’t be giving up fishing for golf any time soon and i can assure you I am not “Looking for a Loop Hole”.   ::)

I wont comment on your refusal to read the regulations "cover to cover," but the fact you have never seen fish deep hooked with a Jensen egg is possibly as much a reflection of your skill at strike detection as it is a property of the product.  Many skilled fishermen who fish roe never deep hook their fish, but very few fish are deep hooked on a spoon or spinner even by the most out-to-lunch novice because the fish are hitting it out of aggression, not because it smells like food, and they going to spit it out right away because it does not taste or feel natural.  Jensen eggs, because they look like bait and smell like bait, are treated like bait.
Not all those who wander are lost