Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jensen Eggs, Bait ??  (Read 10004 times)

blacktail2

Jensen Eggs, Bait ??
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »

Wow ...
            I was cruising through the forums and ran across an old post that said a fisherman or fishermen were ticketed on the Cap for using a Jensen egg and were told it was considered bait.
           Jensen eggs bait ?? I think that for a C.O to ticket you for using a rubber Jensen egg with a hint of Anise on it is either bored and hasn't written a ticket for awhile or he has nothing better to do. That's a bit of a stretch if you think about it, rubber has its own smell so could an unscented Jensen egg be considered bait? To me bait is roe, worms, prawn tails etc not a synthetic piece of rubber with a little anise on it. I am pretty sure i am not the only one that feels this way and think they should use their time a little more wisely and go after something worth while like freighters or cruise ships pumping out bilges or logging companies logging right up to a stream bed. Take them and throw a few in your pocket and run them through the washing machine. I am not sure whether or not steelies or salmon are really attracted to this smell ?? I am pretty sure it is the colour and have picked up an old egg rolling around the bottom of the drift boat and hooked steelies on them !
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:07:50 PM by blacktail2 »

floatfisher

Re: Jensen Eggs, Bait ??
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:32:49 PM »

Bait is anything with a scent. The rule is in black and white in the regs and it's as simple as that.

Banny

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »

Bait is anything with a scent. The rule is in black and white in the regs and it's as simple as that.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »

So true, almost every single rubber artificial bait has a scent so they should all be considered bait then?? Seems to me to be a little bit of a stretch from what i have read is its up to the discretion of the CO.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:20:28 PM by Rantalot »

noobfisher

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »

I'm glad to see CO's doing enforcement of the rules/reg's/laws.  Know the regulations or pay the consequences, don't take it out on the CO's for doing the job we've asked them to do. 

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:16:06 PM »

As much as the jensen egg is considered bait in the regs, and it is illegal to use during a bait ban, in my personal opinion I strongly disagree with the bait ban on the capilano in the fall. All the fish in there with the exception of the few steelhead are 100% hatchery fish. The progeny is all from a california brood coho transplanted way back when. Sure it is important to protect the steelhead and I agree with this part of it, but it seems that steelhead will bite at artificials just as much as they would bait, and having a bait ban doesn't really change much other than the fact that guys at the cable pool resort to flossing and snagging instead of allowing the coho to take a freshly cured piece of roe. I believe Rodney even caught a summer-run using a pink jig during the bait ban - I don't see the point of the bait ban.

My two cents...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »

As much as the jensen egg is considered bait in the regs, and it is illegal to use during a bait ban, in my personal opinion I strongly disagree with the bait ban on the capilano in the fall. All the fish in there with the exception of the few steelhead are 100% hatchery fish. The progeny is all from a california brood coho transplanted way back when. Sure it is important to protect the steelhead and I agree with this part of it, but it seems that steelhead will bite at artificials just as much as they would bait, and having a bait ban doesn't really change much other than the fact that guys at the cable pool resort to flossing and snagging instead of allowing the coho to take a freshly cured piece of roe. I believe Rodney even caught a summer-run using a pink jig during the bait ban - I don't see the point of the bait ban.

My two cents...

I think the principle of the bait ban is that it reduces the number of deeply hooked fish which are a problem if you want to release them.  While it is true that steelhead will take an artificial, it is probably also true that more fish are hooked deeply on roe than on artificials which do not feel as natural so the fish do not swallow them as much.  It probably does not save as many fish as it could by discouraging flossing., but I do not mind the ban.
Not all those who wander are lost

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:22:36 AM »

That's a bit of a stretch if you think about it, rubber has its own smell so could an unscented Jensen egg be considered bait?

“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish, other than wood, cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers. It does not include fin fish, other than
roe. It includes roe, worms and other edible substances, as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients.

This is straight from the regs

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »

--I agree the reg is black and white.
--Use of circle hook with bait greatly reduces the chance of deep hook and eases the release of caught fish.

--I do not agree with using rules when they are not necessary. Pun intended this opens a big can of worms...I have now seen more than one urban pond which was to be used for kids of family fishing days have painted turtles planed in them by people who do not believe in fishing... these people then complain to MOE that the protected turtles are being harassed and demand the fishing area be shut down.
--If the area is a true conservation concern I'm all for doing whatever we can to protect it and enhance the environment if that is necessary.

--It sickens me to hear that after many years of meeting the greatest announced strategy by the provincial fisheries committee is that they believe they are close to getting a bait ban on the Thompson. Get on with identifying and working on real problems rather than  agendas of personal preference. 

--When I fly fish I use flyrod and line and use wool hair, fur feathers etc.. When I use weighed fly epoxied fly bead head, swivel etc. I call if fishing with fly gear not fly fishing.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »

My two cents...

There is no doubt that ripping and all kinds of bad behavior kicks in full force after the bait ban begins in August and it is discouraging to a lot of fisherman, myself included. However, DFO is approaching this from a point of protecting an endangered run of cap summer steelhead, so lifting a bait ban on a basically put and take salmon fishery is not going to happen unless there is a meaningful recovery of the summer run population. Unfortunately, I personally think that this is a rather wishful thinking under present circumstances.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08:47 AM »

So true, almost every single rubber artificial bait has a scent so they should all be considered bait then??

“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish, .........as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients.
Anise (which is natural) falls into this catagory and you have to draw the line somewhere as there is always someone trying to find the loop hole:
which you haven't been able to find yet!

P.S. Although I agree that some rules and regs seem silly or pointless they are there and if one doesn't like the additional challenges they provide in the pursuit of a fish one could stop fishing and take up golf.
(But be warned: there's a few rules in that sport as well).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:15:25 AM by Fish or cut bait. »

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »

could stop fishing and take up golf.
(But be warned: there's a few rules in that sport as well).

not in my books, just grip it and rip it ;)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »

“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish, other than wood, cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers. It does not include fin fish, other than
roe. It includes roe, worms and other edible substances, as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients.

This is straight from the regs

But there is a legal alternative right? :D :D :D

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »

rub·ber 1 (rbr)
n.
1. A yellowish, amorphous, elastic material obtained from the milky sap or latex of various tropical plants, especially the rubber tree, and vulcanized, pigmented, finished, and modified into products such as electric insulation, elastic bands and belts, tires, and containers. Also called caoutchouc, India rubber.
2. Any of numerous synthetic elastic materials of varying chemical composition with properties similar to those of natural rubber.
3. A low overshoe made of rubber.
4. Baseball The rectangular piece of hard rubber that the pitcher must remain in contact with when making a pitch.
5. Something made of rubber, as:
a. An eraser.
b. A tire.
c. A set of tires on a vehicle.
6. Slang A condom.
7. One that rubs, especially one that gives a massage.

so rubber is not legal......this is getting silly.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »

I guess using fully synthetic, non-natural scents is allowed 😄 mmm turpentine... (kidding)