Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Waders/Jacket  (Read 15300 times)

Carich980

Simms Waders/Jacket
« on: December 06, 2011, 11:59:27 PM »

I've been looking at many different Waders & jackets online for a while and have decided to purchase the Simms G4 Pro Waders & G4 Wading Jacket. I see many people on the river wearing this brand. I am ordering them Online from Still water Outfitters.

When I look at the sizing charts they seem very confusing to me especially on the jackets. Has anyone ordered from them and if so do you know where they measure from at the sleeve? I measure my In seem sleeve at 24" & Out seem at 29" but this is no where close to even their small jacket size?

I'm 6'1 and 180lbs. Even the wader sizes are confusing. Ive always worn a pair of LL waders but my sizing comes out around a medium wader and I just don't think that can be right. I'm getting 34" for my Inseam measured at the bottom of my crotch to the floor.

Unless I'm way off and there's a bunch of giants wandering around in the states.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/g4_pro_jacket.html

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/g4_pro_stockingfoots.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:00:32 AM by Carich980 »

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Simms Waders/Jacket
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »

I wear a Simms G4 Guide jacket in the Coal/Orange and my jacket is an XL, I could have went with a L but then i wouldnt have extra sweater space

almost forgot - im 5'10" and around 185lbs so i would say your going to want an XL on the jacket for sure
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

brysonk

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:07:50 AM »

I wouldn't order something that you're going to use everytime you go fishing online. Not to mention that getting the wrong size jacket or waders will be very uncomfortable and inevitably wear out faster than proper fitting gear. Spend the extra couple bucks and go to a local shop where you can try things on and get a real feel for what you're going to be spending 1000.00 dollars on. Or take a chance and order it online and live with the consequences and inconvenience if or when you have to return something...
Don't get me wrong, I've ordered things online and saved a few bucks but have learned my lesson the hard way and just trying to save you the troubles I went through :)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:17:59 AM »

You might want to try the Mediums. Im 6 foot, 170 and My mediums fit perfect.
The Bigger The Better!

Carich980

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »

Thanks for the help guys. I've narrowed down my choices to the medium "MK" size wader & XL jacket, I figure the L would be a perfectly snug fit but going XL for extra room to put on under garments and more sleeve room for casting. Going to be purchasing them shortly.

I make almost all of my purchases at my local fly shop, But when it comes to these bigger purchase items I find I save a ton more money going online from Still water because they don't charge any shipping over $200 orders internationally. I've bought my GLoomis Dredger GLX spey rod & reel from them in the past without any issues, they are fast professional and would reccomend anyone to use them.

I'm also getting gloves, a bag, hat, wading shirt, including jacket & waders I'm still under what I'd pay for just the jacket and waders here locally. It would be nice to try them on but I think it would kind of a dick move to go into a shop try on their inventory for fit & then purchase them online. I'm confident I have the right sizes now.

koko

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »

How much money do you think you can save? I would support local tackle store. For a good purchase like this I am sure you can make a good deal with them, that way you get exactly what you are getting.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »

OR at least go to a tackle shop and try one on, buy a few flies or leader or....
Maybe even get a better deal  ;) (like I did)
If not KARMA will find you.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »

I've been looking at many different Waders & jackets online for a while and have decided to purchase the Simms G4 Pro Waders & G4 Wading Jacket. I see many people on the river wearing this brand. I am ordering them Online from Still water Outfitters.

When I look at the sizing charts they seem very confusing to me especially on the jackets. Has anyone ordered from them and if so do you know where they measure from at the sleeve? I measure my In seem sleeve at 24" & Out seem at 29" but this is no where close to even their small jacket size?

I'm 6'1 and 180lbs. Even the wader sizes are confusing. Ive always worn a pair of LL waders but my sizing comes out around a medium wader and I just don't think that can be right. I'm getting 34" for my Inseam measured at the bottom of my crotch to the floor.

Unless I'm way off and there's a bunch of giants wandering around in the states.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/g4_pro_jacket.html

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/g4_pro_stockingfoots.html

I'm about the same size and I wear the large G3 jacket and the medium G4 pro waders (I know, sounds weird that at 6' wearing a medium fits, but the ML and L are too big in Simms sizing.  The medium jacket has really tight forearms (weird, yes) but you won't be able to fit your forearm in with much more than a thin sweater in the medium jacket.  You could probably do a large as well for the waders, based on you preference for fit.  The G4 waders are pretty well anatomically tailored so you don't need to get them longer for room to move around wearing them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:48:16 AM by Matt »

Carich980

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »

Ended up buying local in the end, I guess having it in hand for today's outing is worth it...lol.

Carich980

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 10:50:20 PM »

So I went out today with the new gear and it is like night & day! I spent the whole day wading in and around the water and stayed comfortable and warm all day. I didn't get anything but there's always tomorrow.  ;)

slick vic

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »

Buy the wader not the jacket.
I have the G4 jacket and don't like it. lol

Happy Clam

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »

I'm 5'7" 150 pounds. My G3 wader SK and G4 jacket S perfectly fit me.

mistermongz

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:39 AM »

i have the G4 i love that jacket....
Fish on!!!

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 05:55:07 AM »

I also have the G4 Jacket and it beats every other jacket I have ever owned--By the way you did not mention what is not to like--except the crazy price for a product that is made in Taiwan.
Please let us all know your thoughts about the jacket.

Carich980

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »

Got both the G4 Jacket and G4 waders without the front zipper, been using them for the last few weeks and they are both Awesome. I stay warm and dry and can wade in the water all day with out getting chilled.