Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharkfin Soup  (Read 74262 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Re: Sharkfin Soup
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »

might have been a little insensitive to the "anti shark fin protestors" but she did bring up a good point that banning Shark Fin should be something done federally and not at the municipal level. It is a big waste of time trying to ban something at the municipal level when not every city has the same idea. Cities like North Vancouver, Coquitlam, and Port Moody has banned the product, also note that those cities dont have many upper end chinese restaurants that serve Shark Fin.

Alice Wong did do something to support the "majority" of the Richmond inhabitants, which is go out and have a bowl of Shark Fin soup! Coquitlam, North Vancouver, and Port Moody should deal with their own issues and I hope Alice Wong ignores the letter and let the voters of Richmond determine what they want.

If Nancy Furness and company really want to make an impact on saving sharks, they should travel to Asia and stop the problem at the source! oh wait... that would probably be too costly...that's probably why they got nothing better to do than to write letters like the above   ::)

StillAqua

« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »

Fin Donnelly, NDP MP for Coquitlam, will be introducing a private members bill banning shark fin imports into Canada in November. It will be interesting to see how far it goes......

roseph

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »

Ed, by your logic we should all forget about acting local (have you seen what emissions are like there - so why bother reducing here right?  - 'waste of time') and give up on anything that saves our environment here in Canada.  In other words live like people do in china.  

To which I say, NO THANKS.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:58:59 PM by roseph »

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »

Ed, by your logic we should all forget about acting local (have you seen what emissions are like there - so why bother reducing here right?  - 'waste of time') and give up on anything that saves our environment here in Canada.  In other words live like people do in china.  

To me, those who are trying to save the right to eat shark fin go hand in hand with those walking around in colour clashing LV and Gucci outfits and gold laces on their sneakers while they spit phlegm or farmer blow their noses in front of the bank/store/restaurant they're dropping big money on, then look at you and wonder why you've got a disgusted look on your face.

X2
Take the T out of Morton.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »

They should use our local dogfish ,clean them out a bit.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »

To me, those who are trying to save the right to eat shark fin go hand in hand with those walking around in colour clashing LV and Gucci outfits and gold laces on their sneakers while they spit phlegm or farmer blow their noses in front of the bank/store/restaurant they're dropping big money on, then look at you and wonder why you've got a disgusted look on your face.

By my logic, living in British Columbia we should be more focused on issue that is in front of us, for example the pipeline that is being built from Alberta or importing Chinese labour to work our mines instead of employing Canadians. Funny thing is, even if Shark fin is federally banned in Canada,  0 Sharks will be saved therefore how will banning it save our environment?  The ban would probably create an underground market for Shark Fin ( less taxes going to the government).  Why dont we spend the time saving 0 Sharks, and spend it on activities that will actualy save something. Correct me if i'm wrong, Canada still fishes for bluefin tuna which is considered an endangered species? 

Canada is a developed (first world) country and China is a developing (third world country), it's obvious with the type of industries they have in China that they will produce more emmisions. Canada is a staples economy which means we rely a lot on our natural resources = less pollution. But before you start pointing fingers at China's emissions, Canadians per capita wise are the most wasteful population in the world (water, electricity, etc). Last time I checked, Canada pulled out of the Kyoto Protocal which is aiming to cut emmisions.

To me, those who are trying to oppose Shark Fin soup go hand in hand with those who cannot afford to live in Vancouver, are bitter that their jobs and homes have been taken away by Chinese people who are harder workers (harder work = you make more money to afford the LV and Gucci), people who have nothing better to do (no skills or education) that want to feel important and hypocritical people who do not see problems within our own borders but instead likes to point fingers at others (similar to our neighboring Americans).

StillAqua

« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »

To me, those who are trying to oppose Shark Fin soup go hand in hand with those who cannot afford to live in Vancouver, are bitter that their jobs and homes have been taken away by Chinese people who are harder workers (harder work = you make more money to afford the LV and Gucci), people who have nothing better to do (no skills or education) that want to feel important and hypocritical people who do not see problems within our own borders but instead likes to point fingers at others (similar to our neighboring Americans).

I find it hard to believe that you truly can't comprehend what the concept of a "sustainable fishery" entails or what it means for the future. If sharkfin harvesting is part of a sustainable fishery, few people in North America would have a problem with it. But it's not, and if you want to be a dinosaur dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, so be it. If it takes the second generation of Asian youth rejecting the elitism that worships sharkfin and shames you into rejecting it, then so be it. It will happen because the younger generations are beginning to understand the huge and irresponsible environmental mortgage that their elders are bestowing on them and they don't want it. http://www.sharktruth.com/

Enjoy your soup while you can Ed.......

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »

I find it hard to believe that you truly can't comprehend what the concept of a "sustainable fishery" entails or what it means for the future. If sharkfin harvesting is part of a sustainable fishery, few people in North America would have a problem with it. But it's not, and if you want to be a dinosaur dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, so be it. If it takes the second generation of Asian youth rejecting the elitism that worships sharkfin and shames you into rejecting it, then so be it. It will happen because the younger generations are beginning to understand the huge and irresponsible environmental mortgage that their elders are bestowing on them and they don't want it. http://www.sharktruth.com/

Enjoy your soup while you can Ed.......

I find it hard to believe that you truly think banning Shark Fin in Canada will have any effect or improvements to the Shark population. The problem isn't the Chinese people living in Canada consuming Shark Fin but it is the people who actually live in Asia that are consuming it. Is it really that hard for you to see that even if everybody in Canada stopped eating Shark Fin Soup that Sharks will still be fished to satisfy the demand in Asia? Do you really think these protests will pressure China to ban it as well? Do you think Shark fishers that depend on selling Shark Fin to make a living will stop because some people in developed countries are preaching about the environment?  Sorry to burst your bubble but A. As long as there are people living in poverty, nobody cares about the "future" when they could starve tomorrow. B. There are a lot more important environmental issues that need to be dealt with before Sharks are a priority. This is almost an example of all the good students making it into university (dealing/concerned over more important issues caused by economic development) and the dumb kids that never made it past highschool (the ones that are focused on saving the Sharks).

I believe you that some of the younger generations (maybe second generation Chinese) are beginning to accept not having shark fin but that is purely their own decision to not have it.  I am sure in my life time  Shark Fin will be available! Funny thing is that some chinese people in Vancouver might think that they have to enjoy it while they can, Shark Fin Soup/ Shark Fin sales have sky rocketted since the protesting.

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that the economy comes before the environment. Even Canada is willing to back down on their environmental duties such as taking part of the Kyoto Protocal just so they wouldn't have to pay billions in penalties.
 http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/12/12/pol-kent-kyoto-pullout.html

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:13:45 PM by Ed »

RyanB

« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2012, 12:06:07 AM »

I've had sharkfin soup twice, both times when I was very young.  I was super excited the first time because I thought the idea of eating sharks was cool.

It was a big letdown.  It was a very bland soup.  Second time, same thing.

The sharkfin itself has a strange texture, kind of chewy and almost rubbery.  It doesn't have much taste at all.

I guess it has some supposed medicinal qualities because people can't be eating it for the taste.

‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »

I find it hard to believe that you truly think banning Shark Fin in Canada will have any effect or improvements to the Shark population. The problem isn't the Chinese people living in Canada consuming Shark Fin but it is the people who actually live in Asia that are consuming it. Is it really that hard for you to see that even if everybody in Canada stopped eating Shark Fin Soup that Sharks will still be fished to satisfy the demand in Asia? Do you really think these protests will pressure China to ban it as well? Do you think Shark fishers that depend on selling Shark Fin to make a living will stop because some people in developed countries are preaching about the environment?  Sorry to burst your bubble but A. As long as there are people living in poverty, nobody cares about the "future" when they could starve tomorrow. B. There are a lot more important environmental issues that need to be dealt with before Sharks are a priority. This is almost an example of all the good students making it into university (dealing/concerned over more important issues caused by economic development) and the dumb kids that never made it past highschool (the ones that are focused on saving the Sharks).

I believe you that some of the younger generations (maybe second generation Chinese) are beginning to accept not having shark fin but that is purely their own decision to not have it.  I am sure in my life time  Shark Fin will be available! Funny thing is that some chinese people in Vancouver might think that they have to enjoy it while they can, Shark Fin Soup/ Shark Fin sales have sky rocketted since the protesting.

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that the economy comes before the environment. Even Canada is willing to back down on their environmental duties such as taking part of the Kyoto Protocal just so they wouldn't have to pay billions in penalties.
 http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/12/12/pol-kent-kyoto-pullout.html

So I guess when its finally banned here in Canada you'll be heading back to where you can still get it......heres hoping.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »

"and the dumb kids that never made it past highschool (the ones that are focused on saving the Sharks)."

Ed, come on now. :-\

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »

So I guess when its finally banned here in Canada you'll be heading back to where you can still get it......heres hoping.

Funny thing is, there is a good chance that it will not get banned. Sure.. have it banned in Port Moody, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Chilliwack, Surrey, etc. I can drive to Richmond for a bowl. Federal Banning > Municipal Banning. And if it is  banned, I will definetely travel to China to have a bowl of Shark Fin soup if I felt like it. There are numerous flights per day to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and etc so travelling from Vancouver will be easy! Feels great to be Canadian!

PS. dont get your hopes too high!

"and the dumb kids that never made it past highschool (the ones that are focused on saving the Sharks)."

Ed, come on now. :-\

Sorry i was trying to refer to Bassonator....

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »

Ill give up now.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

Give up on what? you never had an argument.... there is a chinese saying.. " you can't teach an ox how to play piano"
Delicious....

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:10:39 PM by Ed »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »

This thread is still going?  ::)