Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Sharkfin Soup  (Read 74259 times)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Re: Sharkfin Soup
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:13:36 AM by DionJL »
Take the T out of Morton.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:14:07 AM by DionJL »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »

I thought I'd point out that you two have degraded your debate to childish name calling.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »

I thought I'd point out that you two have degraded your debate to childish name calling.

LOL!  Classic.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2012, 08:32:09 PM »

WAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

Another week of no ban of Shark fin in Vancouver + Richmond + etc. Went to a few restaurants and asked them how Shark Fin sales have been, seems like all this "ban" talk has created a bigger demand than ever for Shark Fin soup! Seems like some familes are even stocking up Shark Fin since most of these fins are dehydrated and can be kept in the house for a long time.

KUDOS for all the Anti Shark Fin supporters! you saved 0 Sharks and boosted up more demand!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »

Another week of no ban of Shark fin in Vancouver + Richmond + etc. Went to a few restaurants and asked them how Shark Fin sales have been, seems like all this "ban" talk has created a bigger demand than ever for Shark Fin soup! Seems like some familes are even stocking up Shark Fin since most of these fins are dehydrated and can be kept in the house for a long time.

KUDOS for all the Anti Shark Fin supporters! you saved 0 Sharks and boosted up more demand!

Do you have any hard proof or data to back up your claims? Or is it simply hearsay and anecdotal (biased) observations? You're doing little to further your argument  with these comments, and are simply trolling for reactions.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »

So Dion how is posting those pics any different, or is it something that makes you feel special as a moderator, just sayin.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2012, 09:16:30 AM »

Time for a 20 dollar soup break. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »

Do you have any hard proof or data to back up your claims? Or is it simply hearsay and anecdotal (biased) observations? You're doing little to further your argument  with these comments, and are simply trolling for reactions.

Well i dont have any written proof of this, but I did go to a few stores in Chinatown and a few restaurants in Vancouver and asked them out of curiosity. Doesn't take too much to connect the dots, you create awareness that something "might" get banned, people who like to eat Shark Fin soup think they have limited opportunities to have the dish in Vancouver. So they go out and pay for it at a restaurant or go buy shark fin and keep it at home to make in the future. Not everything needs a written article in order to be true lol.
Like i said 0 sharks saved. And now Shark Fin sales are going up.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »

So Dion how is posting those pics any different, or is it something that makes you feel special as a moderator, just sayin.

Sadly to say i'd have to agree with you on this one Bassonator.

Time for a 20 dollar soup break. :)

I'm sure all the restaurants are very happy now lol.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »

I use to work with her :-\ ........... looks like the tories would eat their own young if it brought them another election win ::)

Richmond MP Alice Wong tucks into bowl of shark fin soup
 Tory MP opposes municipal ban
 By Alan Campbell, Richmond NewsOctober 12, 2012 6:11 PM 
 MP Alice Wong enjoys a bowl of shark fin soup at the Jade Restaurant during a press conference yesterday at which she voiced her support of restaurant owner David Chung and her opposition to a municipal ban of the Asian delicacy.
Photograph by: Ming Pao, for Richmond NewsMETRO VANCOUVER -- Member of Parliament Alice Wong was back in her hometown of Richmond on Thursday — eating a bowl of shark fin soup.

At the Jade restaurant, Wong spoke to Asian media only, as it appeared no English-speaking media were invited to the event.

According to Chinese media reports, Tory MP Wong reiterated her government’s stance that the banning of shark fin products, including the soup, is a federal responsibility — not that of municipalities.

Vancouver city council agreed last month that it will work with Richmond and Burnaby to develop a ban on the sale of shark-fin products. Port Moody, North Vancouver and Coquitlam have already imposed such a ban.

At Thursday’s event, Wong appeared to be backing Jade restaurant owner David Chung’s position that he is not breaking any laws by serving the shark fin soup and has every right to do so.

Kevin Huang, a spokesman for Shark Truth, a group that opposes the practice of shark finning, said his organization was unclear as to who Wong was representing.

“Currently, we’re trying to figure out whether Alice Wong is representing the Conservative government, in other words the federal government in her stand, or if she’s just going on her own.

“After we’re clear on that, we’ll be in a better position to make a comment. Since there was no official press statement, we’re only going off our sources and the Chinese media. From what I understand, only Chinese media were invited.”

Wong’s communication adviser Robert Lynch said a media advisory was sent out by the Vancouver office, adding he would look into why no English-speaking media appeared to have been invited to the event.

Chung, who is also head of the B.C. Asian Restaurant and Cafe Owners Association, has said in the past he doesn’t know if the soup he serves is derived from one of the many endangered shark species. And he has refused to hand over samples of his shark fins to the Vancouver Animal Defense League for DNA testing.

Chung has warned he’ll declare war on any ban.

He claimed his shark fin products are federally approved and are not derived from the cruel act of finning, whereby sharks are caught, have their fins sliced off and then dumped back into the sea to die.

Chung said it’s people’s right to eat what they want and that any such ban is “culturally insensitive.”

In his culture, serving a dish such as shark fin soup to someone is necessary to show sincerity in gratitude, he added.

Click here to read more stories from The Richmond News.

© Copyright (c) Richmond News

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2012, 10:23:58 PM »

I use to work with her :-\ ........... looks like the tories would eat their own young if it brought them another election win ::)

Richmond MP Alice Wong tucks into bowl of shark fin soup
 Tory MP opposes municipal ban
 By Alan Campbell, Richmond NewsOctober 12, 2012 6:11 PM 
 MP Alice Wong enjoys a bowl of shark fin soup at the Jade Restaurant during a press conference yesterday at which she voiced her support of restaurant owner David Chung and her opposition to a municipal ban of the Asian delicacy.
Photograph by: Ming Pao, for Richmond NewsMETRO VANCOUVER -- Member of Parliament Alice Wong was back in her hometown of Richmond on Thursday — eating a bowl of shark fin soup.

At the Jade restaurant, Wong spoke to Asian media only, as it appeared no English-speaking media were invited to the event.

According to Chinese media reports, Tory MP Wong reiterated her government’s stance that the banning of shark fin products, including the soup, is a federal responsibility — not that of municipalities.

Vancouver city council agreed last month that it will work with Richmond and Burnaby to develop a ban on the sale of shark-fin products. Port Moody, North Vancouver and Coquitlam have already imposed such a ban.

At Thursday’s event, Wong appeared to be backing Jade restaurant owner David Chung’s position that he is not breaking any laws by serving the shark fin soup and has every right to do so.

Kevin Huang, a spokesman for Shark Truth, a group that opposes the practice of shark finning, said his organization was unclear as to who Wong was representing.

“Currently, we’re trying to figure out whether Alice Wong is representing the Conservative government, in other words the federal government in her stand, or if she’s just going on her own.

“After we’re clear on that, we’ll be in a better position to make a comment. Since there was no official press statement, we’re only going off our sources and the Chinese media. From what I understand, only Chinese media were invited.”

Wong’s communication adviser Robert Lynch said a media advisory was sent out by the Vancouver office, adding he would look into why no English-speaking media appeared to have been invited to the event.

Chung, who is also head of the B.C. Asian Restaurant and Cafe Owners Association, has said in the past he doesn’t know if the soup he serves is derived from one of the many endangered shark species. And he has refused to hand over samples of his shark fins to the Vancouver Animal Defense League for DNA testing.

Chung has warned he’ll declare war on any ban.

He claimed his shark fin products are federally approved and are not derived from the cruel act of finning, whereby sharks are caught, have their fins sliced off and then dumped back into the sea to die.

Chung said it’s people’s right to eat what they want and that any such ban is “culturally insensitive.”

In his culture, serving a dish such as shark fin soup to someone is necessary to show sincerity in gratitude, he added.

Click here to read more stories from The Richmond News.

© Copyright (c) Richmond News

nice job Richmond!

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »

http://www.thenownews.com/news/open+letter+Alice+Wong/7415034/story.html

An open letter to MP Alice Wong

Coquitlam NowOctober 19, 2012

Dear Member of Parliament: I would like to express my concern and disappointment regarding your recent actions while carrying out your duties as Member of Parliament for Richmond.

I refer to the incident which occurred on Thursday, Oct. 11 at the Jade Restaurant in Richmond where you, while surrounded by an exclusive group of media representatives, made a public display of eating a bowl of shark-fin soup. I find this event alarming and deeply offensive on a number of fronts:

1 - It is widely recognized that the rampant act of "shark-finning" is inhumane, unsustainable and potentially environmentally devastating. By making a public display of consuming the shark-fin soup, you clearly demonstrated your lack of awareness or worse, lack of concern over a major environmental issue and the welfare of sharks in the wild;

2 - You did not act in good faith with respect to representing the constituents of Richmond. As a public servant, you have a duty to provide fair and consistent representation in the best interest of all your constituents. Catering to the harmful and needless desires of a special interest group is not acceptable;

3 - Transparency is critical in positions of public trust. This element was sorely lacking as was evident by the deliberate exclusion of English speaking media representatives;

4 - Your statement that shark fins are purchased and imported legally is at best questionable.

While Canada currently allows the import of legally harvested shark fins (with the exception of fins from endangered species), there is no traceability in place to verify how or from which species imported shark fins are harvested.

5 - Your statement that the banning of shark fin products, including soup, is a federal, not municipal responsibility has also been challenged. The municipalities of Port Moody, North Vancouver and Coquitlam have already imposed a ban on the sale of shark fin products.

Vancouver city council is currently working with Richmond and Burnaby to implement a similar ban in these communities. Due to growing public pressure and inaction of the federal Conservative government, the Union of BC Municipalities is calling on the provincial government to implement a province-wide ban on the possession, sale and distribution of shark fin products.

If as a private citizen you choose to consume this product then that is your prerogative.

However, in your role as a publicly elected federal representative you must be accountable for your actions and must not act solely in your own self-interest.

Ms. Wong, I look forward to an appropriate response to this disturbing show of poor judgement.

Nancy Furness Port Coquitlam

Read more: http://www.thenownews.com/news/open+letter+Alice+Wong/7415034/story.html#ixzz29ngykbJO
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 06:59:42 PM by Ed »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »

Wong just plain did it wrong. :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13