Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming locations on the internet  (Read 16629 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Naming locations on the internet
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »

When you name a system, or a spot on a popular river that has been productive, or post a picture with an easily identifiable background, you WILL increase pressure on that location, making it less enjoyable for yourself AND others.

Not only does this negatively impact you when you get crowded out of a spot where there weren't many people before you posted it on the internet, but you anger other anglers who have been wise enough to keep their mouths closed.  Many systems that get named far too often on the internet simply cannot cope with the pressure generated by many anglers.

Don't think one post can ruin a location?  You're wrong.  Several years ago if memory served correct, a FWR member did an experiment and posted that the mouth of the Seymour River was fishing well for pinks when in fact it hadn't been fishing well at all and almost no one was fishing it.  The next day there were thirty (!!!) or so anglers packed on the shoreline all because of one single online report.  The same thing happened to a friend of mine.  He found some pinks, posted the previously-unpopular location and the next day it was packed with anglers, many of them directly mentioning to him that they read his report and showed up as a result.  He strongly regretted posting a locatoin-specific report, don't let it happen to you.  Posting pictures with easily identifiable backgrounds can also increase pressure if you post that you had a great day of fishing at that location.

Merely asking questions about smaller systems/ locations online can be detrimental as often someone who's fished the system once or twice doesn't really know the system well feels the need to reply and puts details on the internet that should really be obtained by wearing the soles out walking.

This isn't to say that the sharing of locations between anglers shouldn't happen, just the internet is the wrong venue to do share that information.  Take into consideration that information you post online is visible to thousands of readers.

The greatest enjoyment and sense of accomplishment I've ever received from angling is from figuring out a system or lake on my own, without being told what rock to stand on.  Here are some tips to figuring out a system:

• Check out a system and guess what waterlevel will fish well, and use the river level graphs to plan your return trip http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/text_search/search_e.html?search_by=p&region=BC
  • Use your knowledge of other local systems to take a guess at run/ hatch timing
  • Use Google Maps to find likely fishing spots.  While coastal drainages change from year to year, you can still get a sense of the lay of the land prior to going with Google Maps.  Canyons, flats, estuaries, fish barriers, will all be visible and likely to remain in the same spot year after year.
  • Put in your time on a given system, eventually, you'll figure it out and it will be very rewarding.  Nothing can replace experience gained from putting in your time.
  • Get to know the guys/girls at your local tackle shop.  They will be more than willing to point you in the right direction once they see that you wouldn't be a pain to fish beside.  Get to know them and they'll throw you a bone every once in a while.
  • Act politely on any river, more experienced anglers are often willing to share other locations with anglers who are polite and that they wouldn't mind sharing a piece of water with.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:33:00 PM by Matt »

RiverRunner

Re: Naming locations on the internet
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »

Sounds like your 'spot' got exposed.  ;D

I feel your pain tho.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »

this coming from a guy who posts photos openly on facebook with background for everybody to see where hes fishing ::) LOL!!!!!!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »

Sounds like your 'spot' got exposed.  ;D

I feel your pain tho.

Nope, its merely the frequency with which smaller systems that I know that can't tolerate a lot of pressure (but don't necessarily fish) end up being posted on the internet.  

Nitroholic

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »

sticky this

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:23:31 PM »

Well put Matt.

SS Fintastic

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »

sticky this

+1 All member's should read this.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »

When in doubt about where the fish was caught, report to the Stave

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »

Stave would be the place to fish this weekend for sure. Big fish and big numbers.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bcguy

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »

True, but just a thought, if your even on this forum, it kinda screws up the theory...dontcha think?  ::)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »

True, but just a thought, if your even on this forum, it kinda screws up the theory...dontcha think?  ::)

I'd disagree here.  This is a great place for questions about methods (short floating as opposed to flossing), tackle tech etc.

bcguy

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »

I'd disagree here.  This is a great place for questions about methods (short floating as opposed to flossing), tackle tech etc.

True, thought I was in the fishing report section.
No doubt the internet has increased pressure on the systems, but more on the the already well known systems (Veddar, Fraser etc), some more, some less.
Still lots of good water out there. Born and raised in the lower mainland, still try to hit as many flows as I can find, exploration is truely the key.
But, if anyone remembers, there has always been fishing reports in printed medium, difference is instead of a small daily paragraph or 2 in the Vancouver Sun,
now we have the internet, both of which transfer the information. Some things never really change, other than the growth of the population of the lower mainland.
Pressure on the local systems would have increased none the less, give it 20 or 30 years and you'll think these were the good old days  ;D 
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »

give it 20 or 30 years and you'll think these were the good old days    "

Wretchedly true.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »

The internet gives a (very loud) voice to the average person, so instead of one report a week in the Friday paper, there are dozens of online reports daily, often from people who have no idea how far their voice can reach.  Fishing forums disseminate information far faster than the newspaper and word of mouth could.

Reading a report that doesn't mention location is still enjoyable to read and can still be useful.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »

I worry more about the lurkers on these internet forums than anyone that posts regularly. I dont post many reports anymore unless its a popular lake, or river.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family