Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming locations on the internet  (Read 16749 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Naming locations on the internet
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »

they can always make new friends by showing them good fishing spots.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 10:54:46 PM »

they can always make new friends by showing them good fishing spots.

hahaha well played

brownmancheng

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »

Personally I love the fishing reports section. Keeps me going when I'm working every day and can't make it out to the river.Next best thing to fishing myself.  I also don't believe there is anything wrong with sharing if a river is producing.  The more the Merrier as long as people that come are respectful and responsible.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »

Personally I love the fishing reports section. Keeps me going when I'm working every day and can't make it out to the river.Next best thing to fishing myself.  I also don't believe there is anything wrong with sharing if a river is producing.  The more the Merrier as long as people that come are respectful and responsible.

Would your enjoyment of the report section be reduced if you didn't know the location?  Sounds like many members (myself included) enjoy reading reports, but the omission of the river/lake doesn't reduce my enjoyment in the least, in fact, it adds intrigue.

Perhaps its more the merrier for some, but not so much for others. 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 07:12:51 PM »

I don't see a problem with providing a report with general information about a popular river system.  For example, stating that you fished the vedder or stave and did well on coho is fine.  Providing GPS coordinates to the exact location or a sensitive/small river system will result in upsetting your fellow anglers, and could ruin the run for yourself - unless you're talking about a very popular spot like the KWB... ;D  Then I'd know that you really don't know what you're talking about... :D

Seriously, part of fishing is discovering those "hot spots" for yourself and it does take effort.  The result can be very high quality fishing, and it can be very rewarding.  It can be the difference between a couple of hookups to 25 - 30+ coho hookups per trip.  If you discovered a productive run with minimal pressure and lots of coho and it took you several trips to discover this run, would you want to broadcast it out?  If you say "yes", then I'd say you've just ruined the spot for yourself and any other anglers who took the effort to find the spot for themselves.  The number of hours you and others spent finding that spot just vaporized.  Also keep in mind that if you post the results in the "general discussion" part of this forum, then ANYONE can access the information.

Just my 50 cents worth... ;)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »

Some of the best reports on this forum come from Chris and yet he does not reveal any specific locations on where he is fishing. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »

Chris has been a complete clam on where he's syphoning salmon :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 10:43:06 PM »

It wouldn't matter if Chris stated where he was fishing. He hasn't caught much all year. LOL

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:03 PM »

It wouldn't matter if Chris stated where he was fishing. He hasn't caught much all year. LOL

Ouch ! :)

brownmancheng

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »

Would your enjoyment of the report section be reduced if you didn't know the location?  Sounds like many members (myself included) enjoy reading reports, but the omission of the river/lake doesn't reduce my enjoyment in the least, in fact, it adds intrigue.

Perhaps its more the merrier for some, but not so much for others. 
Ya I don't need exact locations to enjoy the read. But hey the general area doesn't hurt on a busy system such as the vedder. That being said i think sensitive systems are better left off the net. There is nothing wrong with the sharing of info as long as the river can handle a little temporairly added pressure.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »

Beak. ;D ;D ;D Going now for the tide, should get some as had a hot morning on the ducks, 8 mallards to temp your palate. ;D ;D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »

I love fishing reports.

I don't need to know the location to enjoy reading them.

I'd vastly prefer locations aren't mentioned (exceptions made for massively popular water bodies).

I get frustrated by the anglers searching for a quick fix, but I try and be patient because I used to be one too.

Matt nailed it - use the info available (ie. water levels, techniques) and figure the rest out yourself.

Good luck!
:D
Tex

Silex-user

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 11:41:08 PM »

I like to fished Zipper-mouth river and stand on particular rock for last 30 years. Nice to chuck a line, sinker and barb less  hook out and catch some fish. That is my fishing report for internet.  ::)

Silex-user

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »

Well put Matt.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:37:45 PM by nickredway »