Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby  (Read 122846 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

Here's the historic provincial bass stocking data since 1894.

millsm

« Reply #256 on: September 15, 2012, 03:40:51 AM »

Disgusting fish that do nothing but kill native species, and take next to no skill to catch. Killem all boys.

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. People need to look outside British Columbia and realize that they are the most popular game fish in North America. No skill? wow. And Rodney is right, they are really good tasting. I also prefer them over trout and have no idea where people get this idea that they aren't good. just about everyone I know that has eaten it the way I do it say they love it, but everyone has got their own opinion I guess.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »

I have to say Rod, that plate of fish sure looks good from where I'm sitting 8AM Saturday morning, stomach grumbling. I have enjoyed Tilapia many times over the years and have only once tried small mouth bass, oh say 45 years ago and wasn't impressed at the time.

I shall have to give it a second and third try in the near future after reading what you wrote and seeing the photo, looks yummy !!!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »

Wait a sec, wasn't "someone" who is part of the westcoast bass club or whatever it's called caught RED HANDED and CHARGED for moving Bass around?

mko72

« Reply #259 on: September 15, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »

I've been following this thread for the better part of a month now and I can't figure out if it's a joke or not.

So many people are saying there are no bass, and so many are saying there are. 

Rod has some bass in a photo, were they caught locally? 

I've been to deer lake and didn't see anyone catch bass, only trout. 

What's the deal!?!? hahaha  ;D

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2012, 05:49:53 PM »

I've been following this thread for the better part of a month now and I can't figure out if it's a joke or not.

So many people are saying there are no bass, and so many are saying there are. 

Rod has some bass in a photo, were they caught locally? 

I've been to deer lake and didn't see anyone catch bass, only trout. 

What's the deal!?!? hahaha  ;D

If you go to Deer Lake right now, you will probably see people catch only largemouth bass, carp, and only rarely, some trout.  This summer, I've only seen trout swimming in Deer Lake Brook - which connects to Burnaby Lake - near the Hart House restaurant.

Deer Lake never had largemouth bass, but the lake itself is like a blueprint of a classic American style bass fishing lake. As a result, freshwater bass fishing enthusiast most likely dumped buckets of bass in the lake.

Another fisherman at Deer Lake told me that he saw fisherman catching smallmouth bass. Anyone here caught smallmouths at Deer Lake?

noxcape

« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »

Actually no Damian one was suspected of it and was dismissed from The club and dfo was called on them And I know this personally because I Am The president of the Wcba and being a Member since 2000 the Wcba will not allow illegal introduction into lakes by its memebers yes we love to fish for bass but we don't condone illegal introduction

noxcape

« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »

There aren only
Largemouth bass in the lower mainland

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »

I just came back from Deer Lake and there were lots of finger sized fished jumping for flies in the shoreline. I saw about almost a dozen larger sized fish surface feeding and jumping for flies. I fished during sunset and there was little to no wind, so fishing was difficult. Fly fishing would be very ideal.

My previous lure that caught 2 largemouth bass and I used the same exact lure this evening and I didn't catch any fish today. There was massive amount of underwater vegetation near the shoreline, especially anacharis type of aquatic plants. I must have reeled in about 5 lbs of waterweeds in about a hour of fishing.

I always find that warmer temperatures such as today makes fishing at Deer Lake to be difficult. The last time I fished at Deer Lake in the summer season with almost the exactly the same conditions, I only hooked one rainbow trout with the exact same lure I used for today.

Deer Lake has a reputation to be almost mosquito free - I've never been bitten by a mosquito at Deer Lake for over 25 years of using the lake!!! - when compared to Burnaby Lake, but this evening, I've seen some massive ones almost trying to attack me.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »

It was OK this evening. Texas rigged and wacky rigged soft plastics were the best. Tried to get into some new spots with a lot of cover as I didn't have the fly rod and did not need the casting space. Was standing on a log and dropped my bait right down by my feet and a bass came up and hammered it twice. Solid size too, but fell off when I tried to lift him up. Pitched to logs and Lilly pads for about an hour and only a few fish to show, tried bigger plastics for the bigger bass and its seemed to work. Nice to have the little baitcaster, much easier for pitching and casting to logs and tight spaces. Tried crank baits at the end of the day when the little fry started to come up to feed. Hooked a few and lost 3 or 4. Really nice to have braid to rip through the weeds. 

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »

It was OK this evening. Texas rigged and wacky rigged soft plastics were the best. Tried to get into some new spots with a lot of cover as I didn't have the fly rod and did not need the casting space. Was standing on a log and dropped my bait right down by my feet and a bass came up and hammered it twice. Solid size too, but fell off when I tried to lift him up. Pitched to logs and Lilly pads for about an hour and only a few fish to show, tried bigger plastics for the bigger bass and its seemed to work. Nice to have the little baitcaster, much easier for pitching and casting to logs and tight spaces. Tried crank baits at the end of the day when the little fry started to come up to feed. Hooked a few and lost 3 or 4. Really nice to have braid to rip through the weeds.  

I'll be using my Ambassadeur C3 with my Abu Garcia Conolon rod with my Blue Fox Foxee jig next time at Deer Lake.  It's interesting to know that largemouths at Deer Lake are willing to take soft plastics in these conditions like today.

The only crankbait I have in my tackle box is the Rattlin' Rapala purchased about 15 years ago for trout.

Texas rigs work best if your worm is super soft, but it's pretty much a must if you're planning to pitch it into lily pads and near logs.

BCfisherman97, did you fish from a boat.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:15:35 PM by Long_Cast »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »

Nope off shore

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2012, 09:16:23 PM »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2012, 09:18:43 PM »

I have a route that I walk when I fish, start on one side of the lake, work my way down to the other and back around. I don't like staying put, I'll always move after a few fish.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »

I have a route that I walk when I fish, start on one side of the lake, work my way down to the other and back around. I don't like staying put, I'll always move after a few fish.

Good idea, I need to do that.