Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby  (Read 120596 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »

On another fishing site  there is a post of someone catching 20 bass in Deer Lake. 

Has anyone here caught a bass in Deer Lake?

Sam6140

Re: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »

Really?  I doubt it, but that would be cool.  That lake, Burnaby Lake, and Still Creek would be good for bass, imo.  They're dirty, polluted, warm, weedy, and ideal for bass.  They're already full of carp anyways, which is an invasive species.  We have a million clean lakes and rivers around BC that are perfect for trout and should not have bass.  The dirty, polluted urban ones should be full of bass, so that people can catch them easily, and enjoy doing so.   I saw some small fish that looked like sunfish, or could be bass hanging around the lily pads on the north side of the lake.  Then there were some fish leaping out of the water near the middle of the lake, don't know what they were.

I understand that the Burnaby lake system is a salmon habitat.  But all that effort for a few dozen salmon returning seems like a waste of time and effort. It's a bit of a lost cause.  Yea yea, I know people are going to disagree.  I like to fish for trout or bass.  Of course I do prefer trout, but they're harder to find, and I'm not interested in fishing for farmed stocked rainbows.  I only like to fish for wild trout - they fight and are aggressive!

All that would be needed is to have a fish fence so that the bass can't leave.  There are two creeks in and out of deer lake.  Apparently the Rainbow Trout that are stocked in Deer Lake, swim into the creek and end up in Burnaby Lake each summer.   Those that end up in Burnaby Lake, end up supposedly dying, due to the water being too warm.  I always wanted to share this finding about Burnaby Lake:  http://www.burnaby.ca/cityhall/departments/engnrn/engnrn_whtshp/engnrn_whtshp_brnbyl/engnrn_whtshp_brnbyl_envassfish/engnrn_whtshp_brnbyl_envassfish_fish.html#33

Sam6140

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »

I just found that post you were talking about, cutthroat.  He even has a picture.  I hope he's not making it up, I doubt it.  Kind of excited.  

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »

Ive seen the post when it first appeared... wouldnt be surprised if some @$$#@*% was dumping them there also... havent been to deer lake in years... now im thinking about going....

hammer

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:12:11 PM »

Here's another perspective on that.

I think that we need to work hard to improve Burnaby Lake and its tributaries and that means making an effort to control invasive species and further habitat destruction and be aware that a lot of folks put in a major effort to work with the fragile stocks that are still there. 
 To call a river a "lost cause" , in my opinion, is not the way to think. I also think we need to be aware of the loss that has already occurred and yes, there are numerous invasive species in that waterway. But maybe be thinking "what can I do?". I know several groups who seen considerable rewards for tireless work on some of the tributaries and many educational groups release salmon into the tributaries of Burnaby Lake (My class releases fry every year). I have seen enough positives to indicate that it is not a lost cause.

My two cents

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »

All that would be needed is to have a fish fence so that the bass can't leave.  There are two creeks in and out of deer lake.  Apparently the Rainbow Trout that are stocked in Deer Lake, swim into the creek and end up in Burnaby Lake each summer.   Those that end up in Burnaby Lake, end up supposedly dying, due to the water being too warm.  I always wanted to share this finding about Burnaby Lake:  http://www.burnaby.ca/cityhall/departments/engnrn/engnrn_whtshp/engnrn_whtshp_brnbyl/engnrn_whtshp_brnbyl_envassfish/engnrn_whtshp_brnbyl_envassfish_fish.html#33

Unfortunately the "fish fence" would not work as smaller fry would be able to escape (unlike the trout, the bass would have no problem reproducing in the lake, so there would be all stages of the life cycle including very small fry) and therefore make there way into the Burnaby Lake-Brunette system as well.
Not all those who wander are lost

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »

Well if we're gonna put bass in there, we might as well throw a couple of pike in there too. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Sam6140

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »

It's so strange that people would ACTUALLY go to the trouble of moving fish from one lake to another.   How are these people never seen?  I guess they do it at night.  Are these just regular individuals?  Or is this funded somehow?  And where would they get a good number of juvenille bass from anyway?

BTW...here's something interesting.  I went to Albert Dyck Lake yesterday morning for the 2nd time.  I didn't see a single fish.  Didn't even get a single bite.  Which is WEIRD!!  Either it's fished out, or the fish have been fished out, and then re-homed??

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »

Catching 20 would imply there is a significant bass population.

I would wager that bass would thrive in Deer Lake/Burnaby Lake.  Warm waters, tons of cover as well as inlet/outlets.

Curious if they are recently planted or have been in for a while.

Sam6140

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »

I'm curious too.  I've never fished Deer Lake before.  But I'm sure it would have been mentioned somewhere online if the bass have been there awhile.   I wonder if they're in Burnaby Lake too?

I don't know much about how well bass repopulate.  Can a few bass populate a lake pretty quickly?  Do they grow fast?  The thing is that the local bass holes in the lower mainland don't really have a lot of bass in each location.  Some do though.  But a lot of them seem to only have a modest population (fish trap creek, now Albert Dyck Lake, Minnekhada, TWU, Mill Lake).   And I'm pretty sure that they are usually caught and released, as the water quality in most of these places are gross.

I'm amazed that places that Como Lake and Lafarge lake are stocked with Trout.  The water isn't very cold, and it's dirty.  I guess it's just a matter of convenience - being urban. 

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 11:25:35 PM »

I live near Deer Lake and haven't seen or heard of any bass caught. Trout and BIG carp yes, but not bass.
I think it is all a plot to shift the masses away from the Vedder.  :D

You want real bass locations in the LML?
Here you go:

Mill Lake - Abbotsford B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Hatzic Lake - Mission B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Chadsey Lake - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Sturgeon Slough - Pitt Meadows, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Judson Lake - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Pepin Creek - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
N. Alouette River - Pitt Meadows, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Fish Trap Creek - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Glochester Ponds - Aldergrove, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
West Creek - Langley, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Salmon River - Fort Langley, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
Albert Dyck Park - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass

Enjoy!

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »

Catching 20 would imply there is a significant bass population.

I would wager that bass would thrive in Deer Lake/Burnaby Lake.  Warm waters, tons of cover as well as inlet/outlets.

Curious if they are recently planted or have been in for a while.

My guess would be planted, i started fishing those areas in the mid 90's when i first moved to bc from the east, 2002-2003 is when i started catching SM bass in the brunette, i was very surprised..now they seem to be spreading...  Someone's doing it...

noxcape

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »

ok jsut to let everyone know fisheries put LARGEMOUTH not smallmouth bass in burnaby lak in the 20's and then realized they where retarded in doing so and killed them off ive heard of bass in the burnette but not in burnaby lake any one care to share what forum they read this on please and thank you

and as many of you can tell i love to bass fish but i would never condone anyone moving fish and if i ever saw anyone doing this i would call the rapp line with out even thinking

Sam6140

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »

Noxscape is right.  The fisheries stocked Burnaby Lake back in the day.  And no one has caught a bass anytime in the last 30 years in Burnaby Lake.  The ones in the Brunette River were Smallmouth Bass.  Well guys, I will go and fish Deer Lake for bass either tomorrow or the next day.  I will let you know.  I will use my irresistible Worm and bobber.  If there's bass, I will catch them.   I was riding my bike this evening along the Debouville Slough in Poco.  Stopped by this little beach to look at the water, and saw two nice bass scurry off away from the embankment.  The water was so nice and clear looking and not more than 3 or 4 feet deep.  I'm sooo itchiing to try that slough tomorrow.   I was at Fish Trap Creek with the same set up yesterday (worm and bobber), and caught a bass on every cast.  They were all small though.

Noxscape, here are the links to the discussion about bass in Deer Lake:  http://www.*****.com/forums/threads/19966-Is-this-a-Largemouth-Bass      &

http://www.*****.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=716&pp=10&page=2&do=discuss
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:07:53 AM by Sam6140 »

Sam6140

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 12:04:18 AM »

Ok well, I guess I can't post links here.  It's on the bcfishingreport dot com website.    Noxscape, what the heck happened to Albert Dyck Lake?? 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:15:08 AM by Sam6140 »