Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which line for Centerpin?  (Read 13702 times)

bobby b

Re: Which line for Centerpin?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 09:19:39 PM »

Yes, the mainline should not break before the leader, that is fully what I would expect but not what I am experiencing,,,,,so really chalking it up to bad luck at this point.

I s'pose a 'bad batch' of line is not out of the realm of possibility!?!

The line was and is still new, both the 15lb and 20 lb. I do usually check for nicks as the line ages or after use. Had 3 outings with the 15 and only one so far with the 20. 

I checked out the guides/inserts, and as far as I can tell all is well....they all passed the q-tip and mesh test.

Hope to get out on Sat and maybe again on Tues barring any more torrential downpours that is...lol. Hopefully my luck will change, both line and fish wise!

I will get in touch with you Dave and maybe drop by on one of those afternoons if you are around.

Cheers and thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:21:36 PM by bobby b »

243Pete

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 06:02:28 AM »

What kind of centerpin are you using? I had a friend who dropped his Milner onto some rocks and left some nice dents on the rim of the spool, soon after he was loosing floats and a fair bit of line (15lb main and 10-12lb leader) and after a check he found that sometimes his line would get nicks cause a bit of metal (aluminum from the spool) was hitting his line cause the chip was pointing inwards towards the spool of the line.

A bad batch of line... a rare possibility but that I what I am wondering when it came to Seaguar Senshi 20lb line, a friend managed to break off almost every fish he had and loose 4 floats in a day. I've used the 15lb Seaguar Senshi and no problems and same with another friend.

Animal Chin

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »

I use 17 lb Stren, 15 lb Seaguar blue, and those ubiquitous DNE rubber stoppers (the small ones) and haven't had my mainline break (knock on wood). I've only had a centerpin setup for a little over a year though.

bobby b

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 06:31:42 PM »

The CP reel is a Milner Kingfisher....no nicks ... gawd i hope I dont drop it on the rocks :o

I will get out this Tues and prob fish all day....I'll just have to see how it goes

Thanks for all the suggestions

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »

If you're not to worried about it, then by all means "see how it goes."
If it was me I'd be testing a couple of my knots in the shop before I head out next. I would also rip that line off my reel and re spool it with something else. You make it sound like this has happened a few times. 20lb test should not be breaking. This is not normal. Your 3113lb would snap doubled over before that line should break even IF you were clamping down on the reel.
I had this problem before and I'm pretty sure it was the way I was pegging my float. The problem stopped after I switched gear.

Breaking off on a coho is not a big deal.
Losing everything to a big steelhead is heart breaking.

I like to run 5lb difference between mainline and leader.
You cannot go wrong with 15 lb main 10lb leader both Maxima ultra green. There are many other choices but I would say this combo is one of the most common.

What knot are you using? I use an improved clinch 5-7 wraps. Ultra green is pretty forgiving but I still like to lick my knots from habit of using floro. Are you Using split shot on your mainline?

bobby b

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 10:09:52 PM »

If you're not to worried about it, then by all means "see how it goes."
If it was me I'd be testing a couple of my knots in the shop before I head out next. I would also rip that line off my reel and re spool it with something else. You make it sound like this has happened a few times. 20lb test should not be breaking. This is not normal. Your 3113lb would snap doubled over before that line should break even IF you were clamping down on the reel.
I had this problem before and I'm pretty sure it was the way I was pegging my float. The problem stopped after I switched gear.

Breaking off on a coho is not a big deal.
Losing everything to a big steelhead is heart breaking.

I like to run 5lb difference between mainline and leader.
You cannot go wrong with 15 lb main 10lb leader both Maxima ultra green. There are many other choices but I would say this combo is one of the most common.

What knot are you using? I use an improved clinch 5-7 wraps. Ultra green is pretty forgiving but I still like to lick my knots from habit of using floro. Are you Using split shot on your mainline?

I too use an improved clinch with at least 7 wraps....wet 'em too.

The 20lb line broke once, the15lb .. 3 times. The main line is not breaking off when on a fish, as stated, only when I snag on bottom or something... Never with rod bent

When I do snag up, I keep the rod dead straight and pull back.

Weight setup ....
For weight I usually just use a snap swivel and surgical tubing/pencil lead,  the weight will usually just break off if I get it snagged.

I do think you are on to something Noahs Arc with regard to the way the float is 'pegged'

I'm kinda suspecting the dne stoppers, was told the 8-12lb size was fine to use on 15 and 20lb line but I feel they are a bit too tight even when wet, this may be causing a pressure point on the line that causes it to snap prematurely.....maybe..?
  I tried out a set of the eagle claw stoppers and they fit way smoother, they hold the float in place and glide easily when adjustment is needed. They dont feel like they are pinching the line like the dne ones do.  I used that setup all day on Sat and not a single main line break. Snagged once and lost the leader and weight but swivel and up stayed as expected.

When all is said and done though, I may just switch back to Maxima Ultragreen, as it has never failed me in the past.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:15:26 PM by bobby b »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 06:51:25 AM »

I use DNE as well. I'm pretty sure DNE has changed the sizing on their float stops recently and I haven't been as happy with them as I was in the past.
Hopefully things work out for you Tuesday.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 07:20:49 AM »

Sorry if a little OT, just wondering what's a good line for a beginner to practice casting with. Heavier, lighter or don't matter?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »

Heavier is easier to untangle if you get a.rats nest ::)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 09:47:29 AM »

Also, heavier will spool off easier with more control though it may not drift as well.
It may also differ from baitcaster to pin.
A heavier line will give you more drag (slower) plus type of line heavier will have more memory and try to keep it's coil.
In other words 20 # test will have more coils than 15# and the initial cast may be 40 feet but the line out off your reel may be 50 feet ( hypothetical numbers but the point is: initially you'll have to strike harder to pick up that coiled slack before the impact is felt on the hook set)
Slight exaggeration in order to express my opinion.

There are other variables and after a while you'll figure it out.
There are some who will argue with me but this is my opinion.

My spare baitcaster has 20# on it for a couple reasons.
Breakage is minimized.
Detangling is quicker.
Meaning less down time for me when I take someone out who hasn't fished too much.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »

I am using Chameleon as the guys at Searun told me that the Chameleon is the best line for Centerpin......

Just my $0.02, but I have used Chameleon a lot in the past and the stiffness makes it pretty forgiving for CP so I can see why the Sea-Run guys would recommend it. It's also supposedly more abrasion resistant so your experience with it breaking high on the main instead of at the weaker leader would be not typical, I would imagine. BTW, when you say you get snagged, how do you know its not your weight that's that's getting hung up and therefore your leader strength is not even a factor?

As an aside, if you want the smoothest casting and drifting line I have yet seen for CP, try Seaguar Senshi. I started using it late last year so I cant yet speak to its longevity but I think its nicer than either Chameleon or Ultra-green. Sea-Run carries it as well.

243Pete

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 11:45:17 PM »

Just my $0.02, but I have used Chameleon a lot in the past and the stiffness makes it pretty forgiving for CP so I can see why the Sea-Run guys would recommend it. It's also supposedly more abrasion resistant so your experience with it breaking high on the main instead of at the weaker leader would be not typical, I would imagine. BTW, when you say you get snagged, how do you know its not your weight that's that's getting hung up and therefore your leader strength is not even a factor?

As an aside, if you want the smoothest casting and drifting line I have yet seen for CP, try Seaguar Senshi. I started using it late last year so I cant yet speak to its longevity but I think its nicer than either Chameleon or Ultra-green. Sea-Run carries it as well.

Tested out the Seaguar Senshi today, love the stuff especially when it comes to making slower drifts as the line isn't heavy and doesn't carry as fast as a thicker line. Also noticed a slight hue or purple-ish/ blue-ish sheen coming from it when the sun is on it.
From what another friend said as he has used Senshi for over a year now on his CP, the longevity is pretty good, still using it till now and no issues with the mainline snapping.
Last year I was using Seaguar InvizX and I liked it, line felt a little stiffer than mono and heavy to boot, but usually I just dead drift and have no issues with it.

big spring

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 06:29:47 PM »

not to highjack a topic ,does any of the line mention above get twisted.I used trilene big game 15lb,everytime i cast,somehow line just twisted,any solution?thanks.

chromeo

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »

not to highjack a topic ,does any of the line mention above get twisted.I used trilene big game 15lb,everytime i cast,somehow line just twisted,any solution?thanks.

Try running another good quality barrel or bearing swivel under your float.  I always try and prevent line twist with two swivels in my leader set up.

big spring

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »

will try,thanks chromeo.