Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lodges for trout fishing (Interior BC)  (Read 8277 times)

Hoop71

Lodges for trout fishing (Interior BC)
« on: February 24, 2016, 08:26:54 AM »

Have some time off late May/early June and looking for ideas on where to go to the interior for some trout fishing for the wife & I.

We DO NOT fly fish so any lakes that are fly fishing only are out.
We do not have a boat or float tubes so that is why we are looking at one of the resorts which has shore fishing as well as boat rentals.

Looking to spend a couple nights most likely.

As I mentioned we will be lure fishing/bait fishing and are open to other types of fishing using non fly fishing gear.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Lodges for trout fishing (Interior BC)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:38:34 AM »

Tunkwa Lake. Lots of fish in the lake, all from 0.5lb to 4lb, some bigger. You can fly fish, cast lures, troll, float fish with bait. You can rent a proper fishing boat with motor and anchors, which are important for that lake. You can also shore fish right in front of the resort, from the grassy bank or from the dock. Your timing is very good too.

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com

I like this cabin, has close access to the lake shore.

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.ca/barneys/

Boat rental info:

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/fishing/boat-rentals/

Phone the office and chat with Richard, he's very helpful. Al the owner is on this forum too so he's always happy to help out. He'll also be at the Shimano Booth at Tradex in a couple of weeks from now.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »

Just a heads up there is a loch style fly fishing competition from June 6th to June 11th.  Tunkwa and Leighton will be used on the 9th and 10th of June but expect people to practice on the 5th 6th and 7th.

Tunkwa is big and can handle the amount of people from a fishing aspect,  however expect cabins to be booked during that time.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »

Those cabins are booked up early regardless. The more popular ones are sometimes booked up in months or even a year in advance so best to pick your dates and reserve it early. Like clarkii said, the lake itself can handle plenty of boats so fishing should not be affected.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »

Mid-week there are often openings at Tunkwa or Roche Lake resorts. Give them a call.

rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »

http://bcfroa.ca/

Is an excellent resource for finding a fishing resort.  Not every resort is listed, but it's a good start.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 05:40:55 PM »

You can even fish Tunkwa from shore if you want.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 11:41:28 PM »

Bonanza lake resort on Horse Lake 100 mile house. Cabins and boat rentals. Excellent fishing for rainbows and lake trout. Uncrowded and scenic lake. Paradise. Google it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:43:38 PM by Wiseguy »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 07:48:23 AM »

Salmon Lake has cabins, RV sites and camping. Lac LeJuene has a lodge & cabins.  East of Kamloops there is Hefley and Knouff. North from Little Fort there are a number of lakes with resorts; Watch, Lac Des Roche, Fawn and more. 

Of the places I have been, I go back to Salmon the most. Nice fish and the lake is just small enough that you can row one end to another. It fishes well through most of the season. Fish seem to spread all over the lake and respond well to trolled flies as well as cast. All these lakes can be moody and slow fishing or even skunked days are common.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 09:39:18 AM »

Bonanza lake resort on Horse Lake 100 mile house. Cabins and boat rentals. Excellent fishing for rainbows and lake trout. Uncrowded and scenic lake. Paradise. Google it.

I've been there. There is a nice shoal just out from the resort. I was there in Juy and had some good evening dry fly fishing during mayfly hatches. Some folks caught nice kokanee in the 2 to 3lb range by trolling with lead core line.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »

Salmon Lake has the artificial fly only regulation, so not necessarily what the OP is looking for. However, you can still do very well by using a spinning gear outfit and just float fishing with a chironomid. The fishing has been very good in the past two years in May, so it should continue.

Hoop71

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »

Salmon Lake has the artificial fly only regulation, so not necessarily what the OP is looking for. However, you can still do very well by using a spinning gear outfit and just float fishing with a chironomid. The fishing has been very good in the past two years in May, so it should continue.

Thanks for all the tips!

Rod, what is this method of float fishing with a chironomid? any more details?

Cheers,
Dan

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »

Easy, and you'll catch more fish this way than with bait if you head up to these lakes. ;D

Just have a slip float set up on your main line with a float stopper set at the depth you want it. I usually have it set a few feet shallower than the lake depth. Just tie a chironomid pattern to the end of your line, and you're fishing. That's the simple overview of it, there are things you can do to improve it of course, like the size of the float (I use a float that only needs 5 to 10 grams of weight to balance), etc...

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »

https://vimeo.com/69289211

7 half diamond ranch gets my vote. Amazing hosts, great fishing, beautiful cabins. 5 stars.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 08:08:12 AM »

artificial fly doesn't require fly tackle as you can use spinning tackle, floats and weights. Lot's of people who don't fly fish go to salmon - they just troll and catch piles of fish often out fishing people who fly cast.